"Fresh Start" - November 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

still hopelessly lost at sea.

purchased a 6 pack of Strongbow this afternoon, it hasn't helped yet.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Add me to the LAS club!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening
Our final count is 47 on the ship and 81 on the shore.

Making their way to the ship's bars are
zacmoretz and probably Aunt Norma
Jeremy
Matthew B
higgysue
ALS
and JAQT

And a bunch struggled to shore and replaced the sea water they swallowed with a libation from the tiki bar
Kay - who was there all along but I missed her
lbrary53
Billkatz
Nlobb
Eguinan
JoePickett
Homer
jimbo1 who was also there
Fkelly
RDaleHall
Mister Squawk
hunkra
wb93
Cynthia J
bskptkl
Wordsmith
Barbara K - and there is always room for you on the beach
burak
the Thurman8er
Bird Lives
eagle1279
and Richard

Good luck to all winning the mug

And again, thanks to all who served, those who had a spouse who served and those who had other family members who served. And a special thanks to the Viet Nam vets who never got the credit they deserved.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KscX

Post by KscX »

Stubbornly sticking to what may be a rabbit hole but manufacturing it into a submission. Ashore because I threw myself on it - I can’t adjust to regular time and need early to bed.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:50 pm Looks like a Romeo . . . . . cigar.
Even better if it’s a Cubano.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Ashore, barely.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

to the new members of this forum and to metas ... some of them are easy and you can get them in a few hours.

others, like this one ... you need a 6 letter noun and you have 5 clues with numbers. I haven't solved it, and I likely will go to bed before the answer is posted, it's not easy. Next week is ... another week. And another puzzle.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Finally onshore after a nudge. Thanks for the help and a very clever puzzle this week! No mug for me but good luck to all.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I was literally on the beach all day yesterday (Ocean Isle NC at 80 degrees) trying to work this one out. Several FRESH STARTS yesterday and today after getting home, but still completely stumped. But I did get a nice little nose-burn and some extra freckles.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. I noticed something right away upon solving the grid but it took quite a while for me to figure out how this related to the method for solving the puzzle.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Not for me this week. But it looks like I'm in good company on the ship!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore with a little help. This was a hard one.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Unfortunately, I'm 0/2 on Matt's parenthetical number puzzles! I had a lot of promising ideas this week, but alas I'm stuck on the ship. Congrats to those who figured it out!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea, but heading to bed.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:21 pm My husband actually tried to help me with this one last night. I was shocked!
As I scrolled through the posts I came to yours and saw your name and avatar and the top part of the photo --- your husband gazing downwards.
I eagerly continued scrolling, expecting that he was holding little Byron, but no, it was the puzzle! :)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

whimsy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:06 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:21 pm My husband actually tried to help me with this one last night. I was shocked!
As I scrolled through the posts I came to yours and saw your name and avatar and the top part of the photo --- your husband gazing downwards.
I eagerly continued scrolling, expecting that he was holding little Byron, but no, it was the puzzle! :)
We can’t hold little Byron because of Covid. But we did see him yesterday from six feet away! So cute!
Heidi
Abide

Post by Abide »

I gave up on this one yesterday. No nudges requested or needed. Watching the Saints beat down Brady will keep me awake until the reveal tonight.

I've been working on tomorrow's Muggle Meta Monday which seems like a more productive diversion.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
TPS

Post by TPS »

Abide wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:13 pm I gave up on this one yesterday.
Things I did this weekend instead of the WSJCC:
Went to the gym (twice)
Went on a 12 mile run
Finished reading “The Inner Game of Tennis”
Read 250 pages of “Walden”
Watched the UF/UGA game
Began a course on Coursera on the Magna Carta
Went to the driving range
Went and saw “Let Him Go”
Watched an episode of the Mandalorian and Fear the Walking Dead
The Daily Beast, LAT, and Pandora Blocks puzzles
I think that is most of it
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mpmanning wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:22 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:34 pm
mpmanning wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:08 am I am a novice lee helmsman here, but I believe I am ashore.
Well Bob is the cruise director, but my Dad was a Boatswain's Mate:

Piped Aboard.jpg

Consider yourself piped aboard! But remember, newest crew member buys drinks on liberty and with this crowd of rowdies it could be a substantial sum!
DrTom thanks for the warm formal welcome! It's been a lot of years since such honors were part of my experience as people came aboard or went ashore! I can tell by the hashmarks on your father's sleeve that he was in a lot longer than I was! I do understand the protocol about picking up the tab ashore, but thankfully the number of newbie muggles reported by the cruise director will soften the blow.
Heck he was in longer than almost everybody - his first captain was John Paul Jones!!! Glad to have you here and hope the experience is as positive as it has been for all of us.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I was going to submit a hail mary with what I thought was 30 minutes to spare, but the submit button is gone as well as the contest info so I guess I'm too late. Glad I didn't spend more time trying to solve the meta. I'm enjoying a Boulevard Plaid Habit on the boat in this 70 degree November weather instead.