"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

On shore. Too early in the morning for anything but Celestial Seasonings Sweet Harvest Pumpkin hot tea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

What a difference a week makes. Last week we had 57 on the shore by Sunday night. This morning we already have 59 on shore.

Mike, thanks for assuaging our bruised egos
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore. Did grid yesterday and woke up today to do meta. I'm sticking with that plan.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Dow Jones wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 am A very Shenk-like meta.
I often see posts like this. Or “typical Matt technique.” My trouble is that my feeble brain can’t remember which techniques are typical of whom. If someone has a beat on how the two differ on typical techniques and also has a couple of minutes to write them up, I’m sure a post in the hints for solving metas area of the forum would be welcome to many, especially newer muggles.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore! Fun and appropriate puzzle this weekend. Hopefully we don't get any trick-or-treaters this year (we are going to shout down the house and hide in the basement). It's currently snowing (!), so that should dissuade any would-be candy seekers.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

LizD wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I have no idea either.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
I forgot it's Halloween time. This puzzle is probably the only reference to Halloween I'll get. I don't really see it mentioned much in Israel.
One way or another - enjoy!
TPS

Post by TPS »

boharr wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am

I often see posts like this. Or “typical Matt technique.” My trouble is that my feeble brain can’t remember which techniques are typical of whom. If someone has a beat on how the two differ on typical techniques and also has a couple of minutes to write them up, I’m sure a post in the hints for solving metas area of the forum would be welcome to many, especially newer muggles.
I only have a limited sample size but I’d say one thing is that Matt tends to be much more traditional theme answer focused from what I can tell with Mike being more open to things like his Checker and Chess puzzles and things like the KNEE BREECHES puzzle or CITY BLOCKS puzzle than Matt. That’s at least one thing I’ve noticed. Well that and that Matt tends to be more prone to using homophone and sound related puzzles.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 am What a difference a week makes.
I filled in the grid, pondered for a bit, and saw a possible mechanism. Got a piece of paper and jotted down the results at the top, leaving plenty of white space for further work, fully prepared for an arduous journey like last week's puzzle. Looked at what I'd written down and staring me in the face was the meta answer. We will be going out to a Vietnamese restaurant this weekend to celebrate our seventh anniversary (we've never had pho before, but Mark had a hankering to try it), and YAY! I will NOT have to bring the clipboard along!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

boharr wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am
Dow Jones wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 am A very Shenk-like meta.
My observation is that the solutions for Mike's metas are self contained within the grid, often with clues within the grid and don't require external knowledge.

Matt's can often require external knowledge like last week's meta and frequently have multiple steps. Matt has also used the clues, the shapes of the squares and anything else he can think of.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 am What a difference a week makes.
I filled in the grid, pondered for a bit, and saw a possible mechanism. Got a piece of paper and jotted down the results at the top, leaving plenty of white space for further work, fully prepared for an arduous journey like last week's puzzle. Looked at what I'd written down and staring me in the face was the meta answer. We will be going out to a Vietnamese restaurant this weekend to celebrate our seventh anniversary (we've never had pho before, but Mark had a hankering to try it), and YAY! I will NOT have to bring the clipboard along!
You'll love pho. I put extra basil in mine.
Heidi
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Lost at sea again.
Why do they say it's easy
When I've not a clue?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Janet P wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:10 am Lost at sea again.
Why do they say it's easy
When I've not a clue?
People who solve ALWAYS say it's easy. Ignore them and stay with it.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Finished the grid last night. Today I'm taking a lunch break, thought I'd work on the meta. On shore, very cute idea for halloween.
Not saying it's easy, but I recognized a mechanism I'd seen before.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Still no joy in the morning --
If anyone's looking for me, I'll be on the newly-christened Apophenia Deck in deep discussion with fellow passenger, Doctor Rorschach.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our Friday report is a bit early but we have 7 on the ship and 63 on the shore

And just in case you are interested, this is what it looks like outside my window
Attachments
IMG_2173.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Richard

Post by Richard »

LizD wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I too am still on the ship.

Richard
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Worked on the puzzle this morning, and am now safely ashore. Quite the relief after my debacle last week.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

I feel like I've lost my mojo the last few months. I used to get most, and now I seem to get few. LAS once again.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

I missed roll call but am on the ship.