"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

As is often the case, this was less complicated than I originally thought. Very clever. There was definitely a red herring in there but whether or not it was on purpose is hard to say. On shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning fellow muggles

We have our newest muggles - NDSegs (Joe and Cathy)

and we have had a succession of muggles struggling on shore and making their way to the ship's bar so we have 19 on the ship and 96 on the shore

new to the ship are
Colin
Annabelle
JeanneC
and NDSegs

Making their way to the shore are
flamingbear
sanmilton
michaelm
tmitchell300
Anita
hector
Notbitter
MaineMarge - who did finish planting the bulbs on the ship's stern garden
Cap'n Rick
Cindy N
Mister Squawk
whimsy
FKelly
Janet P
Plymouth Rock
and BeTheLight

Good luck to all making their way to shore and winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PJM

Post by PJM »

On shore!

I'll be celebrating with this delicious fall cocktail :

https://oursaltykitchen.com/honey-bourb ... -rosemary/

(a dash of orange bitters works in place of the orange peel, btw)
Janet

Post by Janet »

Still chasing rabbits on the ship!
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Ashore but only after a slight nudge.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I finished my second attempt at a meta puzzle yesterday - thank you to those who tried the first and put up with the wonkiness and inelegances - This grid should be a little easier and hopefully follows the rules of construction better but the theme answer maybe a bit more difficult. If anyone would like to try it - PM me with your email and I will send it to you as a PDF.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

On shore. Got it in five minutes today after an hour’s unsuccessful staring at the grid yesterday.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I think my solving abilities are as frosty as the morning today. Back to Isaac's for some inspiration.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Wow. I thought the grid was pretty straightforward. I see absolutely nothing meta wise. Have tried all the usual tricks. I must be missing something obvious based on all the “easy meta” comments...have spent hours grid gazing.

Not ready to throw in the towel quite yet though. Hoping for post enlightenment.

Stay well all
burak

Post by burak »

Did the grid last night, had no clue. Slept on it (almost always helpful), woke up this morning, had my breakfast, had my coffee, remembered this was a Mike Shenk meta and solved it in ~15 seconds.

I also realized that what I initially thought was an inelegance is actually an elegance so kudos for that too.
TPS

Post by TPS »

burak wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:30 pm remembered this was a Mike Shenk meta and solved it in ~15 seconds.
I would say this was pretty key in my quick solve as well.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

flamingbear wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 pm I went back and read through the entire thread for solving resources
Yep.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

There are (at minimum) 2 past WSJ Contest Crosswords that use a very similar mechanism. Seeing their solutions will solve this puzzle's meta.

Post within this topic that you wish to receive both puzzle's titles & their publication dates and you will, via PM.

[EDIT: If you've submitted your answer, send it via PM & I will reply with the two puzzles.]

Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore
haari

Post by haari »

after chasing many rabbits to no avail, using various methods, i decided to just come up with possible answers but have found no reasonable pathway to any of those chosen. i don't know what the inside of a coroner's office looks like, but after two and a half days of dissection, my notes are looking more and more like one scrambled mess! i'm sure there is a forest out there amongst all these trees, but i ain't seeing it... as they say, all good things come to an end, as it seems so will my recent solving streak!
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D
boharr

Post by boharr »

haari wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:48 pm after chasing many rabbits to no avail, using various methods, i decided to just come up with possible answers but have found no reasonable pathway to any of those chosen. i don't know what the inside of a coroner's office looks like, but after two and a half days of dissection, my notes are looking more and more like one scrambled mess! i'm sure there is a forest out there amongst all these trees, but i ain't seeing it... as they say, all good things come to an end, as it seems so will my recent solving streak!
Keep at it.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 am Still here with the ever growing team Isaac, many of whom have been happy to help in the stern garden this weekend. So far the newly planted hops is behaving itself...
———
The only drawback to living in the Pine Tree state is the looong winter. Our snow cover usually arrives in early November, so it’s time to get planting those 200 spring bulbs now.
Jumping ahead

0D62FBF1-EC0C-4DFD-A57C-43483B3BFCD4.jpeg
A June 2 photo. Tulips, paddle leaved bergenia with early Nosegay peony.
Yup. (or maybe that should be ah-yep? :P )
When I sit on the porch these days I seek the sunny spots rather than the shade, and when some motion catches the corner of my eye, I turn and look for a bird, or butterfly or other creature; but inevitably, it's a falling leaf.
Certain lines from Robert Frost always go through my head at this time of year --

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season.

But why, even though they theoretically could also be applied to April, don't I come up with them then?! ;)
(Everybody from Southern California or Florida, please disregard the above. :) )
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:28 am Ashore and looking forward to celebrating with a proper pint of porter, tonight.
Picked by Peter Piper, I presume.
boharr

Post by boharr »

whimsy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:58 pm
MaineMarge wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 am Still here with the ever growing team Isaac, many of whom have been happy to help in the stern garden this weekend. So far the newly planted hops is behaving itself...
———
The only drawback to living in the Pine Tree state is the looong winter. Our snow cover usually arrives in early November, so it’s time to get planting those 200 spring bulbs now.
Jumping ahead

0D62FBF1-EC0C-4DFD-A57C-43483B3BFCD4.jpeg
A June 2 photo. Tulips, paddle leaved bergenia with early Nosegay peony.
Yup. (or maybe that should be ah-yep? :P )
When I sit on the porch these days I seek the sunny spots rather than the shade, and when some motion catches the corner of my eye, I turn and look for a bird, or butterfly or other creature; but inevitably, it's a falling leaf.
Certain lines from Robert Frost always go through my head at this time of year --

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season.

But why, even though they theoretically could also be applied to April, don't I come up with them then?! ;)
(Everybody from Southern California or Florida, please disregard the above. :) )
Fall not spring because Frost is writing about the oak tree (and also love obviously) which hangs on to its leaves longest, not wanting to see its season (or love) end.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Joe, I would like to see the two previous puzzles that may push me to solving. Thanks.