"You're Surrounded" - September 25, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

Reached the shore. Thanks for the nudges!
agatha

Post by agatha »

Trying to get to shore but having no luck. Would love a nudge :)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Meg wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm Trending topic: beers you drank in high school
Next trending topic: bad wine you drank in high school. How about Mad Dog 2020? Pretty bad!
Mike Miller did say we talk a lot about alcohol!
Heidi
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

OMG -- We could have all been rich if we'd kept our empties!
Capturemateus.JPG
agatha

Post by agatha »

Finally reached shore. Thanks for the assist!
PJM

Post by PJM »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 pm
That was Chianti. Used to put candles in them!
Yes, Chianti and Mateus bottles. And we used multi-colored candles that would drip down all over the bottle. Remember!? Oh my gosh, that takes me back to the 1970s! Macrame wall hangings, zodiac posters and spider plants completed the decor!
And don't forget all the tie dye! I forgot about Mateus!
Colloquially known as "Mateus Seduce Juice." :D
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

PJM wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pm
Yes, Chianti and Mateus bottles. And we used multi-colored candles that would drip down all over the bottle. Remember!? Oh my gosh, that takes me back to the 1970s! Macrame wall hangings, zodiac posters and spider plants completed the decor!
And don't forget all the tie dye! I forgot about Mateus!
Colloquially known as "Mateus Seduce Juice." :D
Lol!
Heidi
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

whimsy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:59 pm OMG -- We could have all been rich if we'd kept our empties!
Capturemateus.JPG
Possibly Worst Date Ever: A first-year student asked me out to dinner. We took the bus from campus to the restaurant. We had dinner, including a bottle of Mateus. Things went downhill quickly when the bill came: He did not realize you were supposed to leave the waiter a tip (HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS?!) and did not have enough money to pay both the tab and the tip (this was before the days everyone had credit cards). Fortunately, I had brought money and made up the difference. Then, when we got to the bus stop, he realized he'd forgotten to check the bus schedule for getting back to campus and we had missed the last bus. We had to walk 4 miles back to campus. In the pouring rain. In November.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 pm
whimsy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:59 pm OMG -- We could have all been rich if we'd kept our empties!
Capturemateus.JPG
Possibly Worst Date Ever: A first-year student asked me out to dinner. We took the bus from campus to the restaurant. We had dinner, including a bottle of Mateus. Things went downhill quickly when the bill came: He did not realize you were supposed to leave the waiter a tip (HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS?!) and did not have enough money to pay both the tab and the tip (this was before the days everyone had credit cards). Fortunately, I had brought money and made up the difference. Then, when we got to the bus stop, he realized he'd forgotten to check the bus schedule for getting back to campus and we had missed the last bus. We had to walk 4 miles back to campus. In the pouring rain. In November.
That is a perfectly horrible story! Have you ever Googled him? Did he have a happy life?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Meg wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 pm
Capturemateus.JPG
That is a perfectly horrible story! Have you ever Googled him? Did he have a happy life?
I have tried, but he has a name that's really common in the UK so I've turned up nothing, not even on our university alumni page. Maybe he didn't graduate. OMG, I just remembered: when we got back to our college in the wee hours, muddy and soaking wet, he suggested that this should not be the end of the evening!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I’m on the boat cruising the comments. Looking for clues. Not looking for a nudge yet.
Matt / Flamingbear
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm Trending topic: beers you drank in high school
Next trending topic: bad wine you drank in high school. How about Mad Dog 2020? Pretty bad!
Add Ripple to the list and if you had save it you could sell it for a good bottle - https://grapecollective.com/articles/en ... -of-ripple

And Cold Duck and Thunderbird -"What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? Fifty twice!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jace54 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 pm
Jace54 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 pm Solved! That was a fun conclusion once I saw it. I am always in awe of the creativity of the constructors!
Looks like my first post (#42) got lost in the beer discussion so reposting here to get on Bob’s next report! :)
Jace - your post was not lost. My typing was
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Lisa, Aunt Norma and I just rowed ashore! 85 year old Aunt Norma figured it out, not me! A bottle of Pinot noir for us to share please!
boharr

Post by boharr »

zacmoretz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:41 pm Lisa, Aunt Norma and I just rowed ashore! 85 year old Aunt Norma figured it out, not me! A bottle of Pinot noir for us to share please!
Cheers to Aunt Norma!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:25 pm
Add Ripple to the list and if you had save it you could sell it for a good bottle - https://grapecollective.com/articles/en ... -of-ripple

And Cold Duck and Thunderbird -"What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? Fifty twice!
Boone's Farm, Mateus, Ripple, Cold Duck, Thunderbird.....the bad wine is gaining on the bad beer.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

No luck yet. Anyone feel like throwing me a lifeline?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm I am still working on getting the new computer up to speed but have enough to give the status. (but a rant - I hate subscription services and even worse when I have an application that I like as a stand alone, I do not want to go to a subscription service - hear that Adobe!!!)
I have some very cherished CDs for that reason. AutoCAD 2006, MS project (which I don't even use anymore), and Adobe pro version. I run Adobe 8.3 (have to install 8.1 and do the upgrades, which fixes some printing issues). Since new computers don't have CD drives anymore, have to transfer the files over the LAN and fake out the new computer to think it's reading a drive.

I will cry when McAfee no longer supports Windows 7 (like happened with XP/NT), and I have to 'upgrade' to a clearly inferior product.
Rufus T. Firefly
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

This one definitely took me longer than usual. Saw something that seemed to fit with the title and got terribly turned around. I didn't just go down the rabbit hole, I ended up lost in a Watership Down sized warren! But, after tossing out almost everything, got it straightened out and ended up on shore at last.

So, will White Claw be this generation's Boone's Farm?
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Made it to shore after a late start and technology issues.