"You're Surrounded" - September 25, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Woohoo, rolled up on shore covered in kelp. Not such a slog after all, turns out that was a (not completely offbase) rabbit hole. I’ll take a stubby-bottled Ortleib’s, the cheap, ubiquitous beer of my college years in Providence, RI.
jcw2020

Post by jcw2020 »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am In the mid-to-late 70s & early 80s, the only redeeming factor of any cream ale was that it would get you there quicker. A friend put himself through college via old 8 ounce Coke bottle vending machines holding 7 ounce Schoenling Little Kings Cream Ale in fraternity houses around campus.

[ EDIT: PJM reminded me of their nickname: "Little Killers" ]
Schoenling's "Little Kings" and Bob Shreve hosting Saturday overnight movies ("want to see Chicky a little longer?).
By the time they finished at 6AM so was Bob.
So set me up with some Little Kings and Montgomery Inn ribs...they developed the brew to suit Ted.
Meanwhile, one of my favorite brews...
Apolonio with Shiner.jpg
tmitchell300

Post by tmitchell300 »

Finally got it. Asked for a nudge on the message board and walked away from the puzzle and my computer for a while. Showed my wife the puzzle and in about five seconds she steered me in the right direction. Excellent construction with a good click, but it was hard for me to see.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am still working on getting the new computer up to speed but have enough to give the status. (but a rant - I hate subscription services and even worse when I have an application that I like as a stand alone, I do not want to go to a subscription service - hear that Adobe!!!)

An interesting challenge by Mr. Gaffney. We have 18 on the ship and 91 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac busy are
Heidi
Commodore
Tom S
Schmeel
Gpiggies
Josh
dudeski
Inca
Janet P
Big Mac
Whimsy
Scott M
Joe
SusieG
RdaleHall
brulo
Powers2020
Equinan

And on the shore are
docison
Cindy
Meg with her cabana boy
sanmilton
Chris
JimJIm
Steveb
Joe R
scraps
BarbaraK
joequavis
Wendy
oldjudge
Al
norrin2
Eric P
Georgeall
Les
boharr
Miki
cherikee
stmv
MikeM000
Paul D
Larrry
Beth T
edot
Jack
Moi
Laura M
EVJ
Andrew B
NuYear68
Abide
markhr
Trripod
Roberta
Tmart
JoePickett
Beth C
michaelm
Dow Jones
LaceyK
Tori.I
GeezerWeezer
Jackie88
meowmiao71
MileHighsolver
Kay
802puzzler
ky-mike
otlaolap
Homer Buckle
Maine Marge
Daniel G
MajordomoTom
paige11
Annabelle
Haari
PJM
Janet
Fkelly
damefox
seans
Prozach
Cap'n Rick
Softie
dk letter
Nlobb
David K
flyingMoose
Geoduck
TPS
C=64
Tina
ladybird
JRS51
Brian M
rolias
dplass
Beth A
lbray53
Frank
Hidden in 3D
mitchel674
ImOnToo
Wordsmith
tim1217
tmitchell300
and tonyrobots

Good luck to all getting the grid and winning the meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Late to the game again but count me ashore. Took a while to click. So clever. The title similarity to MGWCC week 3 is odd and will look forward to Matt’s comments about that. Coincidence or design?

Stay well all!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I will add my €0.02 about beer and college. I am a wine guy but jealous of beer drinkers today as the choices are so varied and numerous. I was spoiled and drank great beer in Europe in high school until we moved back here senior year to PA. Everyone drank Genesee cream ale and Michelob. I was appalled. I would spring for St Pauli Girl or Heineken when I could, but Molson was the mainstay. The choices were so limited!!

Fast forward 40 years. I do love a good IPA and have enjoyed Bass for decades. My son introduced me to Maine Beer Co a couple weeks ago. We picked up some Lunch, Dinner and Second Dinner IPAs at the brewery on the way to Acadia. Wow. Now that is great brew! A real treat after a long day hiking.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

jcw2020 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm So set me up with some Schoenling's Little Kings and Montgomery Inn ribs...they developed the brew to suit Ted (Gregory, founder of Montgomery Inn, aka "The Ribs King").
Love me some Bock beers. Christian Moerlein's is delicious.

I will say this for Little Kings (& probably other cream ales): It tastes so much better on draft.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

born in CA, so was young for my grade (due to the cutoffs in place at that time)

fast forward to 1981. arrived at St. Louis to attend WU at age 17. Went to a frat party one of my first weekends. First material experience with beer (had a few here and there prior to arriving, that's not the point of this story). Not sure what was on tap - probably something cheap and not good.

I don't think it was the 8 cups of beer at the party that "done me in", I think it was the 9th "to go" cup ... I know I made it back to the dorm, laid down, and the room started to spin. I made it to the appropriate facilities, and spent some time there.

Not a good way to start freshman year and left a strong memory.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm I am still working on getting the new computer up to speed but have enough to give the status. (but a rant - I hate subscription services and even worse when I have an application that I like as a stand alone, I do not want to go to a subscription service - hear that Adobe!!!)

An interesting challenge by Mr. Gaffney. We have 18 on the ship and 91 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac busy are
Heidi
Commodore
Tom S
Schmeel
Gpiggies
Josh
dudeski
Inca
Janet P
Big Mac
Whimsy
Scott M
Joe
SusieG
RdaleHall
brulo
Powers2020
Equinan

And on the shore are
docison
Cindy
Meg with her cabana boy
sanmilton
Chris
JimJIm
Steveb
Joe R
scraps
BarbaraK
joequavis
Wendy
oldjudge
Al
norrin2
Eric P
Georgeall
Les
boharr
Miki
cherikee
stmv
MikeM000
Paul D
Larrry
Beth T
edot
Jack
Moi
Laura M
EVJ
Andrew B
NuYear68
Abide
markhr
Trripod
Roberta
Tmart
JoePickett
Beth C
michaelm
Dow Jones
LaceyK
Tori.I
GeezerWeezer
Jackie88
meowmiao71
MileHighsolver
Kay
802puzzler
ky-mike
otlaolap
Homer Buckle
Maine Marge
Daniel G
MajordomoTom
paige11
Annabelle
Haari
PJM
Janet
Fkelly
damefox
seans
Prozach
Cap'n Rick
Softie
dk letter
Nlobb
David K
flyingMoose
Geoduck
TPS
C=64
Tina
ladybird
JRS51
Brian M
rolias
dplass
Beth A
lbray53
Frank
Hidden in 3D
mitchel674
ImOnToo
Wordsmith
tim1217
tmitchell300
and tonyrobots

Good luck to all getting the grid and winning the meta
I’m on shore, Bob (post 29). Cynthia J
Cynthia
Bellinghamster

Post by Bellinghamster »

On the beach 🏖 and gaining confidence in my swimming abilities.

Cheers all,
Kerri
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm I

I’m on shore, Bob (post 29). Cynthia J
Sorry I missed you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Streroto wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:48 pm I will add my €0.02 about beer and college. I am a wine guy but jealous of beer drinkers today as the choices are so varied and numerous. I was spoiled and drank great beer in Europe in high school until we moved back here senior year to PA. Everyone drank Genesee cream ale and Michelob. I was appalled. I would spring for St Pauli Girl or Heineken when I could, but Molson was the mainstay. The choices were so limited!!

Fast forward 40 years. I do love a good IPA and have enjoyed Bass for decades. My son introduced me to Maine Beer Co a couple weeks ago. We picked up some Lunch, Dinner and Second Dinner IPAs at the brewery on the way to Acadia. Wow. Now that is great brew! A real treat after a long day hiking.
St. Pauli Girl was great until they stated brewing it in the US (St. Louis)

If you want to read something interesting look into the fight between Budweiser in the US and the original Budweiser in the Czech Republic. And the fight goes on in every country in the world https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser ... rk_dispute
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

If you are interested in the history of commercial brewing in the US - The Business Wars Podcast by Wondry available on I Heart Radio has a Bud v. Miller series that is excellent - the whole Podcast is solid actually.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

In the piney woods of east Texas where I was in college, you knew that the party had gone late into the night when a collection was taken up in order to restock with this fine brewed beverage

Konnie
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:11 am
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am
oldjudge wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 am

LOL, Rheingold was pretty bad, but the worst was Narragansett. Ballantine (The smooth refresher) wasn’t much better.
Hey neighbor, have a gansett!

Their beer was horrible, but they actually made a pretty good porter. Fun fact, when Sam Adams was first produced, the 'boston lager' was produced at the defunct Narragansett facility in Rhode Island. Ballantine tasted like it was stored for years in the basement next to the boiler. The slugs in the garden wouldn't even drink it.
Ballantine used to be the sponsor for the Yankee broadcast. I still remember Three Ring Pete and I still remember part of their jingle, (..pure lager flavor, precisely right, lively golden crystalline clear, the crisp refresher Ballantine Ballantine beer --or something like that).
The Ballantine commercial I remember had the words about -- "Take a ring, and add another ring" --- to a jaunty little tune.

Then there was Carling Black Label, ("Mabel! Black Label!") which is actually (still) part of a big international conglomerate, I guess -- I'd always thought of it as regional until I did some research. I thought that because there was a brewery of theirs around here until the 70's. The ads would say : 'Brewed on the shores of Lake Cochituate,' which is in -- wait for it -- Natick! When the hey day of computing, and later big pharma, started, the building was occupied by such companies as Prime and Boston Scientific.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

KayW wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am Were beer commercials pretty regional? I don't remember seeing any that Bob or Joe posted, but this jingle sticks in my mind to this day:

Land of Sky Blue Waters
Fun fact: The guy who illustrated the bear in these commercials lived in my neighborhood when I was young.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

boharr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 pm
hunkra wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Sure. Be sure to compliment him on his Speedo.
Damn. This just makes me want to get to the beach so much faster ;)
Is it the margaritas or the speedo?
Both. But in that order 😝
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Poor Isaac. Listening to all my rabbit holes and crazy meta schemes. Don't know why I'm coming up with blanks with this one. Will keep looking!
Heidi
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Ashore at last. It wasn’t the margaritas or the Speedo, but a little shove from my friends that helped me on to the beach. Now... in search of that case of Genny Cream I buried somewhere around here...
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on the sand!! Good to be there again........put us on the list!

Luck to all - mug time!