"You're Surrounded" - September 25, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Was Naticked at 68A and 59D. Did not know either of those answers and could not have guessed at the letter. But I did enjoy seeing a word I recently learned and like a lot at 1A!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SeanS wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:32 pm
oldjudge wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:08 pm If I had to pick a NY beer my first choice would be Genesee Cream Ale
When I was (ahem) of drinking age, I used to swipe one of mother's Gennys 3-4 times a week, to imbibe in the woods on the way to the school dance... I stored them -- unrefrigerated -- in my room until the weekend. Needless to say I can't even smell a Genny today.
Love reading the Genny Cream Ale stories. The stuff carries a redolence perhaps unmatched in the world of cheap domestic beer, which is saying something. My memories with Genny involve driving around rural PA in my older brother's Volvo 740 GLE, blasting the album "Tommy". Yes, they were warm, and no, I still can't touch them.
(Okay, one more bit of self-indulgence: One night back in 1983 or so, our band decided to get away from what our peer bands were doing... so for our first set, we did all of "The Wall," and for our second set, we did all of "Tommy").
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Tripod wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:27 am
Geezer Weezer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 am
Geezer Weezer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 am

What is your avatar? is that a jiggy walrus or slug?
It's mesmerizing!
Party Parrot!

https://cultofthepartyparrot.com
Ah, yes!
I am a man of few...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Woo hoo. I am on shore with a nice mocha.

And for my early beer memories. When I was little (early gradeschool) and visiting family on the farm, we always got the last sip or two of whatever the grown-ups were drinking. No idea what kind of beer. And frankly, thinking in retrospect, it was probably more backwash than beer!
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

On shore! Thanks TPS for pointing me in the right direction.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm
oldjudge wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:08 pm If I had to pick a NY beer my first choice would be Genesee Cream Ale
Please, I just had supper.

Genny Cream Ale was in the category of Rheingold.
LOL, Rheingold was pretty bad, but the worst was Narragansett. Ballantine (The smooth refresher) wasn’t much better.
Hey neighbor, have a gansett!

Their beer was horrible, but they actually made a pretty good porter. Fun fact, when Sam Adams was first produced, the 'boston lager' was produced at the defunct Narragansett facility in Rhode Island. Ballantine tasted like it was stored for years in the basement next to the boiler. The slugs in the garden wouldn't even drink it.
Rufus T. Firefly
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I'm on shore! And feeling pretty dim.
Sometimes, you just gotta get out of your OWN way!
Is there a stronger, more emphatic term than "over think"?! :roll:
Konnie
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Oh man, I've run out of things to talk about with Isaac and my eyes hurt from staring at this thing! A nudge would be greatly appreciated...
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am

LOL, Rheingold was pretty bad, but the worst was Narragansett. Ballantine (The smooth refresher) wasn’t much better.
Ballantine tasted like it was stored for years in the basement next to the boiler. The slugs in the garden wouldn't even drink it.
That's where they kept it!
tmitchell300

Post by tmitchell300 »

Spent a lot of time just staring at this one. Not even any rabbit holes to speak of. Would appreciate a nudge. Thanks.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Their beer was horrible, but they actually made a pretty good porter. Fun fact, when Sam Adams was first produced, the 'boston lager' was produced at the defunct Narragansett facility in Rhode Island. Ballantine tasted like it was stored for years in the basement next to the boiler. The slugs in the garden wouldn't even drink it.
Ballantine used to be the sponsor for the Yankee broadcast. I still remember Three Ring Pete and I still remember part of their jingle, (..pure lager flavor, precisely right, lively golden crystalline clear, the crisp refresher Ballantine Ballantine beer --or something like that).
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach!!! 🏖
Glad to finally catch up with the other Beths!

Am I in time for roll call?
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On Shore! Just got around to the puzzle this morning. I'm chairing a task force for our local education foundation to make grant funds available to teachers in our school system who have urgent needs. This means lots of Zoom meetings with the grant review panel, as well as Zoom interviews with grant applicants. More interviews next week, then we have the daunting task of trying to decide which proposals to fund. I so wish our budget could support them all!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles
This week's Saturday report will be somewhat late as I am transferring data (a lot of it because of my photography files) from my old computer to my new computer.

So on Tuesday I will appear only on once screen with the Zoom call.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:11 am

Ballantine used to be the sponsor for the Yankee broadcast. I still remember Three Ring Pete and I still remember part of their jingle, (..pure lager flavor, precisely right, lively golden crystalline clear, the crisp refresher Ballantine Ballantine beer --or something like that).
I can her Mel Allen.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Still at sea! Another easy grid, but now I'm just staring at my map of the USA and trying to put something together.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Got it but needed two nudges. I had an idea bit it gave me way too many answers. Makes great sense and a nice puzzle BUT I doubt I would have solved this without help.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore after a fresh look at the grid.
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

not making any real progress here. am in desperate need of a second nudge.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore...finally. Was stuck in a rabbit hole.