"Group Outings" - September 18, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Steve1963

Post by Steve1963 »

Seemingly hopeless on the high seas. Anyone care to give a gentle nudge toward lifeboat?
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore! I was busy and then distraught so this took me a while to see (and then this site wasn't working so I couldn't post last night), but I'm glad I figured it out because man I would've been so mad if I'd broken my streak on this one.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Eguinan wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am xword rookie here...finally safely on shore this AM. @Powers2020 thx for introducing me to this great group!
Welcome to the Muggle forum AND the beach party, Eguinan! Please join us on the Tuesday Zoom meeting so we can have the pleasure of meeting you.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Softie

Post by Softie »

I see nothing. I always struggle with Patrick Berry metas. I'd appreciate a nudge to get me pointed in the right direction.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am posting in the hope that doing so will result in the much discussed post enlightenment. I have been staring for hours and just don’t see it. So...here goes.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Did NOT find this one easy! I have dragged myself to shore, exhausted, on hands and knees, coughing up water. I'll just lie here for a while and recover a bit before heading to the tiki bar.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 am Did NOT find this one easy! I have dragged myself to shore, exhausted, on hands and knees, coughing up water. I'll just lie here for a while and recover a bit before heading to the tiki bar.
This one should make for some good discussions on Monday and the Zoom on Tuesday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 am Did NOT find this one easy! I have dragged myself to shore, exhausted, on hands and knees, coughing up water. I'll just lie here for a while and recover a bit before heading to the tiki bar.
Text us before the tide starts coming in. We will send Meg's pool boy over with a wheelbarrow to pick you up.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
John77

Post by John77 »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:09 am
MaineMarge wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:14 am Solved. There’s nothing like a middle of the night bathroom break to clear things up.
Yet another neat trick up Patrick’s sleeve.

Before I head to shore Isaac is going to help me plant a hops vine (called bine) in the stern garden. Ever the DIY entrepreneur, he was intrigued by the idea. Some weeks are slow in his bar we know, so he can brew up something new for us.
My own is just recreational hops- they make interesting dried arrangements
527FA31D-52A3-4411-BCFE-AE1BAAC39E64.jpeg
Note the ever growing woodpile created by the resident Paul Bunyan. This is northern Maine, so that kitchen wood fire feels good this 27 degree morning.🍻
Marge, I volunteer at a historical place near my house. My experience with a well-established hops vine there makes me shudder to this day. It was invasive, and the roots were HUGE, and tough. It should be an enthusiastic climber, though. Just be sure you have lots of space for it.
Agree. My brother planted Hallertau several years ago and he spends a lot of time trying to control its spread. (If he had planted Citra or Mosaic, I would have been happy to help.) Good luck!
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Softie

Post by Softie »

Softie wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 am I see nothing. I always struggle with Patrick Berry metas. I'd appreciate a nudge to get me pointed in the right direction.
Sure enough, multiple muggles zoomed up on their jet skis and tossed me some flippers and a snorkel. Quick, pleasant swim ashore after that.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On shore!!
My only problem this week was that I couldn't print the puzzle and had to do it on my cell phone, but then that didn't work either. I could find no interactive puzzle anywhere but finally found the grid. I had to draw a grid and fill it in. It worked but SLOWLY!!
Where was the interactive puzzle this week??
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on a "Group Outing"
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Finally on shore after a very long couple of days at sea! Started in all the wrong places... needed a nudge to start over in the right place and then quickly found my way to shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OK we will try this again. I had the status typed and hit submit and....and....and....

So I went to the driving range

First a welcome to our newest muggle - Eguinan. Great to have another muggle on board

A busy day since yesterday with 13 on the ship and 141 on the shore. By the way, since we started the blog, the average number on shore is 109.

Keeping Isaac in business since yesterday are
cherikee
Gpiggies
RichA2
Ed S
Ksoav
Susan G
and Steve1963

Making their way to the shore are:
Steveb
NuYear68
Cynthia J
Cap'n Rick
tmitchell300
Mord
tigerfly222
MajorDomoTom
Joe R
Cindy N
Peter L
ImOnToo
Billkatz
Wdunbar
Emmajane
Peter
paige11
Joedbee
Laceyk
Grover
Eguinan
Equinan
damefox
BrianD
Brian m
Softie
dkletter
and Nlobb

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

boharr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:58 am
MikeM000 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:18 am I would love some direction on this as I see nothing.

Me reading variations on a theme posts: what is wrong with these people? I got it in 3 minutes!

Me reading this thread: what is wrong with me? Everyone else got it in 3 minutes!

Thanks!
Ignore them.
Oh I know...it's just a good example of the differences in each individual brain in action. I got nudged in the right direction by a couple people and am safely on a non-submitted chunk of dry land...
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Swam to wrong beach and am back at sea. Need some giant floaties. Ha ha!!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Where could I have found the interactive puzzle online?? Seems like since I updated my wsj app everything is messed up...
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore! Actually ashore too, with family at the beach. Time for the tiki bar👍
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm Where could I have found the interactive puzzle online?? Seems like since I updated my wsj app everything is messed up...
It may depend on your browser. With Edge on phone, I can only open the interactive puzzle by hard-clicking on the graphic & opening in a new tab. To get the puzzle to fit, I have to hard-click on the font size (AA), then open in a new tab.

Mike Miller posted last week that feedback & questions should be addressed to support@wsj.com.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on shore thanks to several friendly nudges and flotation devices. Whew!