"Where's The Rest?" - September 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

This is driving me crazy. Think I have completed two steps. Have a five letter noun. Would love a nudge. Thank you!

Update: Was dancing all around it. Thank you to the kind people who messaged me!
Last edited by Sara Dacus on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Totally. Lost. At. Sea. And now I'm feeling guilty because I've spent the last two hours staring at this thing while my husband washed both cars. Time to do something productive, and my to-do list is far too long. Perhaps post enlightenment will strike. And occasionally I work well under pressure and have an AHA moment just before the 11:59 deadline...
Sara
Miki

Post by Miki »

isaac.jpg
Easy puzzle this week. Have all weekend to google isaac...
found this!
Miki

Post by Miki »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:22 pm Solved! Pay attention while you're doing the grid!
My husband speed solves and I was wondering if he noticed, because I sure did...
Richard

Post by Richard »

My favorite meta is the first one when I said "Aha" and got it Favorite because it was first and had that "Aha" moment with no nudging.

This one is my favorite since then. Great job. It will be the one I use to show others how metas work.

Like others very very impressed with the ingenuity of the creators.

Richard
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

To all new Muggles, WELCOME!

Also, be sure to allow notifications for PMs, if you are asking for help.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

Got a late start, and immediately made progress and now am stalled... still working though
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I'm confident that I'm on shore! Yeah!
Kas

Post by Kas »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:44 pm
TPS wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

APP DEVELOPER was my very first solve, followed by JEFFERSON AIRPLANE! And then I soon got walloped by ADOBE, but I was hooked by then. :D
You know, I was trying to remember...I'm about 95% sure that I started with BRONTE.
Has anybody ever thought to ask M-Gaff if they keep the old email (i.e. meta response/submissions) threads?! That would be fascinating...um, in a horribly nerdy way. [Raises hand sheepishly...]
Heybaby

Post by Heybaby »

We think we're at the very last step, but have been stuck there for 24 hours. If anyone has a nudge, please message us!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles
We have had a lot of activity both on the ship and getting to shore. We have 24 on the ship and 138 on the shore

And our newest muggle is Sara Dacus - welcome to the clan

Since yesterday the ship's party has increased by
MajorDomoTom
Commodore
ImOnToo
Gpiggies
Gman
flamingbear
FKelly
Doug C
mitchel674
cherikee
Hidden in 3D
and heybaby

And getting to the shore are
eagle1279
Nalugirl
Trey and Marion
Schmeel
tim1217
the Thurman8er
copperriver
maprasad
FrancesY
kas
ladybird
LaceyK
dkletter
JennnyByrd
ClayD
Richard
802puzzler
Hawx
and Sara Dacus

one final thing - if you post you are on the ship and make it to the shore, add a new post and not edit the old one. The reason is that after the first postings, when I update my spreadsheet, I start at the end and then go back until I find muggles that I have already entered. If you edit an earlier posting, I probably will miss you

Other than that stay safe and good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

cherikee wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am Got a late start, and immediately made progress and now am stalled... still working though
Still stuck - if someone is around and would be so kind as to let me know if I'm pointed in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

cherikee wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:39 pm
cherikee wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am Got a late start, and immediately made progress and now am stalled... still working though
Still stuck - if someone is around and would be so kind as to let me know if I'm pointed in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Needed a little bit of help, but I am now ashore! Thanks all.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have an answer, could someone please PM that has it solved and we can discuss before I submit?

I'm about 98%
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

So I'm paddling to shore after looking at it some more and coming up with a 100% answer instead of the one I was going to submit on Thursday.

To say anything more at this point would be a spoiler.
Attachments
20-09-07 Horseshoe Pond 0025.jpg
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Aha! Add one more to the shore crowd. It was a tough swim with one particular shark almost taking me down.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Made it to shore on Friday with the assist of a swift kick in the rear starting my airborne trip.
A word to Impatient Muggles: Don’t be too hasty in requesting a nudge- keep at it. Although immersed in a busy weekend (upcoming garden wedding!), I should have waited until today to ask for a nudge. I already had all the moving parts, and am pretty sure I could have seen how to properly assemble them into the correct answer if I had continued on with the mulling it over process.

This gal loves garden weddings
AC893806-A688-4192-B920-D4EE24C37457.jpeg
My garden girl, Carrie Underwood, is named thus because she has “wood under her” (50A?) - a cedar post sunk a foot into the ground. She is always appropriately dressed for the season or for such a special occasion as this.
Fashion tip: secret to success is the short length of padded garden hose threaded through PCV pipe screwed into the post at shoulder height, which makes her arms fully movable in the fitting room.
Gallon milk jug for head, wig, seriously padded bra, and chicken wire make her ready for the runway or a wedding.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

FrancesY wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 pm I have a five-letter noun???
I have five letters but they don't make a word...
boharr

Post by boharr »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:25 pm
FrancesY wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 pm I have a five-letter noun???
I have five letters but they don't make a word...
Exchange some?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Kas wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:44 pm
TPS wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

APP DEVELOPER was my very first solve, followed by JEFFERSON AIRPLANE! And then I soon got walloped by ADOBE, but I was hooked by then. :D
You know, I was trying to remember...I'm about 95% sure that I started with BRONTE.
Has anybody ever thought to ask M-Gaff if they keep the old email (i.e. meta response/submissions) threads?! That would be fascinating...um, in a horribly nerdy way. [Raises hand sheepishly...]
You say "nerdy" like it's a bad thing....