"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore! What a neat meta and result. A+ for cleverness.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I love it. Clever construct - took us an hour or so of staring and noodling over different strings, but Natasha came back from the neighbor's with a watermelon vodka and that inspired me. On shore with a rioja.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:10 pm To borrow a few lines from 51A
Sean, fantastic band, saw them in 1981 or so, with Flock of Seagulls as the opening act.
WLW.
Me too! Saw them about that year as well at the old Garden State Arts Center, now the PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ. Back when I used to sport my own Flock of Seagulls-ish haircut (yikes!)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

On Shore after a few rocky weeks and close calls. I really liked this one. Will celebrate my humble streak of one tomorrow!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the boat, enjoying and sampling various small and large bottles from the upper shelves.

Isaac - your choice, make it unusual and a double.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Safely ashore. Really struggled with the meta for a while, then it just hit me. Good puzzle!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I don't know the last time I have been this LAS. Or am I? I saw something that I recognized, one of those bits of odd knowledge that randomly surfaces. It gave me an answer that fit for the meta, but that's certainly a strange way to come up with an solution I can't confirm. If you're willing to hear what I have and/or perhaps give me a nudge in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I cAME, I saw, I do not see the tRICks to this meta--so I cAN not say that I have conquered it yet. Unfortunately, I WOuld have to say that my ODds of solving have been going down lately. A month ago, I was feeling a little COCKy with a 10-week run. The beginner's luck has run out and I am now more hit and miss--and a little more humbled.

I am at the bar with Isaac eyeing the liquor cabinet.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

hunkra wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:29 pm
Sean, fantastic band, saw them in 1981 or so, with Flock of Seagulls as the opening act.
WLW.
Me too! Saw them about that year as well at the old Garden State Arts Center, now the PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ. Back when I used to sport my own Flock of Seagulls-ish haircut (yikes!)
Orpheum in St. Botolph's town, without Paul Carrack. Don't remember who opened, but was not flock of seagulls (or rash of stabbings -- a local band).

There is a great documentary available on youtube about them. Makes you go way back.
Rufus T. Firefly
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Never mind--on shore! Clever.

I'll have a sip. Not too much since it is time for bed.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

I'm still on the ship. The fog is so thick that I can't see my way to the correct tender to shore. It looks like another night of dreaming about the proper

path to the reward. BTW, how late does Isaac stay open?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Dow Jones wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:38 am I'm still on the ship. The fog is so thick that I can't see my way to the correct tender to shore. It looks like another night of dreaming about the proper

path to the reward. BTW, how late does Isaac stay open?
No problem. As long as I am with you on the ship the bar is open 24/7
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Ashore after a whole lot of nothing.
PJM

Post by PJM »

WLW.
Absolutely! I saw them in 2016 at the Keswick. The English Beat opened for them. Great show.

They'll be touring this time next year with Hall + Oates. Worth seeing again.
jag

Post by jag »

Still at sea, socially distancing at Isaac's outdoor bar.
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

Really enjoyed this one and now ashore!

Shouldn't have sat down to this so early in the day as it certainly begs to be done with a drink...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LaPetiteFlora wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 am Really enjoyed this one and now ashore!

Shouldn't have sat down to this so early in the day as it certainly begs to be done with a drink...
No problem. It is 5 o'clock somewhere
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

at 1 am, I suddenly settled up with Isaac and swam to shore.

yes, he's used this mechanism before.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm On shore! Fun puzzle!

Has anyone checked out the Perseid meteor shower? We had a semi-clear night last night and I was able to see 7 shooting stars in one hour of watching.
Jacksonville was overcast and truly where I live I'd have to travel some ways to get to a dark enough place. Darn it because I LOVE meteors, always fascinated me. Best view I ever had was at a meeting at a resort in Arizona one time. The resort was in the desert and they turned off all the lights, put deck chair pads on all the tennis courts and you could go out and watch the wide open sky - SPECTACULAR!!!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

YEA - onshore. I cannot believe I went down as many rabbit holes as I did until one of those holes made me say - WAIT that can't be coincidence. Now on to MGWCC.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!