"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Got the grid Thursday but still in a trance on the meta.

On another note, I see some references to first computers people owned.

Ours was a Timex Sinclair with a 1K memory module. Traded it in for a rebate on a C64.

...and suddenly I feel old.😬
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
boharr

Post by boharr »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:47 pm Got the grid Thursday but still in a trance on the meta.

Ours was a Timex Sinclair with a 1K memory module. Traded it in for a rebate on a C64.

1K memory model! Like my brain trying to recall past meta mechanisms.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Late start this week. No Google for grid; no meta after 20 minutes. Not reading 16 pages of comments but the 2.5 star rating tells me to come back in an hour or so.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

pddigi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:45 pm Dom and I have solved, but it took some affirmation in a private message exchange with FrankieHeck to keep me on the right track, so we are forgoing the mug chase. I hope Frankie gets a mug!
I hope so too! Haha. But if it weren't for our exchange, I wouldn't have realized I had forgotten to submit my answer, so I'd say we're even!
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Spent way too much time ignoring my first instinct and chasing those wascally wabbits. Ashore and grateful for the ride!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Eric Porter wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:58 am I've now washed up on shore and I'm feeling really dumb. I was looking in the right general direction the whole time, but I was massively overcomplicating it.

Eric
I have you at 62 for 64 since we started the blog. If you can overcomplicate things then the rest of us mere mortals feel much better.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:47 pm Got the grid Thursday but still in a trance on the meta.

Wasn't it amazing what could be done with 1K of memory.

We flew a missile with 8K of memory. I had some great programmers who could wring the most out of coding in machine language.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Got to a late start this week. Tough grid. Looked for a few minutes - still on ship.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Finished grid yesterday and still working on the meta. I know I am so close to shore but just can't wrap it up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

In good company with the late starters, Isaac a Whiskey Mule please if will if it will not run afoul of the bourbon laws...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

do they even tell the students these days that machine language exists?

I don't know that they would. It's all Visual C++ and Perl and Java. Not Cobol, where they need more bodies.

My first PC was an actual IBM PC, with two 5.25" floppies, 64kb RAM, no internal harddrive. That came later = a Plus Hardcard, I think it was a HUGE 10MB. Allowed me to run Wordstar without needing to have it in the first floppy drive to launch the program.

My papers for some of my undergrad classes were typed by a woman who had a typing business in her home, she stored the files on 8" disks. I don't know the capacity of those things.

Yes, I used Hollerith cards my first year undergrad, to run programs in SAS for my statistics class. Then my second year, someone found and "claimed" a PDP-8 which was moved into the living room of our suite and ... sat there in many, many different piles of parts, never to run. That was an interesting waste of time.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Back after a bowl of black bean/Conecuh jambalaya. All metas for this week are cleared

🏝..🏊🏼‍♂️~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 🛳
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

boharr wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm

The first PC I saw was one built by an EE student in the late 1970’s. Not very user friendly, as the inputs and outputs were in hexadecimal.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Wasn't it amazing what could be done with 1K of memory.

We flew a missile with 8K of memory. I had some great programmers who could wring the most out of coding in machine language.
I was lucky enough to work at one of the UK's largest DEC installations (PDP/8). Spent days in front of that line of light bulbs and toggle switches programming in machine code, telex terminal at my side. Had to keep busy while waiting for my reports to be typed by the typing pool ... with true "cc" (carbon copy) of course! Oh boy - nostalgia creeping in again... time for a Watney's Red Barrel
One world. One planet. One future.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Sputtering and coughing out salt water, I finally stagger towards the shore, still clutching my 1960s Olympia Press copy of a book you can now get in any library.
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

rexthree wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm Finished grid yesterday and still working on the meta. I know I am so close to shore but just can't wrap it up.
Just keep looking......
Cynthia
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

boharr wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm

I got a PC Jr when it first came out. Used Lotus 1-2-3 as the spreadsheet. Ran out of memory when the spreadsheet got bigger than 10x10. :-)
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. Fun one. Completed the grid on Friday but could not catch a thread on the puzzle, despite several looks at it. Came back this afternoon and there it was. Typical for me. Grinding over the meta never seems to help. Seems it comes in a flash or not at all.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

ON SHORE after many LAS weeks. The grid was enjoyably challenging even without the meta.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Joining the shore party. I succeeded for three days at overcomplicaing this. Hope to finally find similar inspiration for MGWCC.