"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was a pleasant endeavour. I sort of "felt" the mechanism in my mind but didn't see it at first. Once I did everything that Matt did became crystal clear - very clever and something nice to ease the pain of those where I wear my pencil/nerves/welcome to the bone. However, I predict that this is one whose simplicity will be the downfall of lots of folks looking for what some people here (and Joe Ross I know you are thinking exactly what I am about to say) a DrTom solution. It appears I am famous for getting lost in the weeds and either (a) finding a solution that does not exist (b) finding 15 more difficult mechanisms before the right one finally slaps me in the face (c) having to be led like a blind lamb to the answer.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

I was sure I had this, easy peasy, then my meta guru convinced me otherwise. I think there's a good argument for my answer. Ah well, on shore. Happy 4th to all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:29 am
Scott Medvetz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm Well that was different! Time for a Hendricks & Fever Tree Elderflower tonic.
Why I'll have one too - my favorite combo. For something very summer refreshingy try the Fever Tree Pink Grapefruit and vodka of your choice- all of their mixers are soooo good!
mmmm....grapefruit juice and vodka was my drink of choice before I became a lightweight.
Well then don't try the Fever Tree Pink Grapefruit or you'll have to go back into training - it is KILLER good with Vodka (and I'd imagine most clear liquor mixes). It's biggest problem is that it tastes MOREish, one almost never leads to just one (but DO NOT try to solve a META at that point, I've tried, its dangerous)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles.

A challenge by Matt somewhat harder than the past few weeks.

We have 10 on the ship and 60 on the shore

And as a bonus we have a special song for Al

"Never Trust A Man Who Plays a Guitar" by the Wingnut Dishwashers Union. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CC_MK_5LH8
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:55 am Good Friday morning muggles.

"Never Trust A Man Who Plays a Guitar" by the Wingnut Dishwashers Union. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CC_MK_5LH8
Ah, who doesn't like a nice lullaby?
KayW

Post by KayW »

On the hot and sunny shore. This was a fun one.

It's nice to see Isaac's smiling face again even tho I didn't get to spend much time with him at the bar.

Happy 4th, all!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I hope everyone realizes that sometimes a "like" 👍 on here also serves as LOL :lol:

Yes, Al Sisti, that was a nice lullaby!
gourtogo

Post by gourtogo »

Got two out of three long ones which make sense but the third last one eludes me.....help!!! Clues please....
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:55 am Good Friday morning muggles.

Oh Al, I do hope you sound better than that. I couldn't listen to the whole thing.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Cindy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!
We’ve used Goldbelly, too. All the food has been excellent. And the one time that something was amiss (a pie arrived with the crust cracked), they promptly sent a replacement at no charge. We learned about it from the Vanderbilt alumni magazine; the founder is a Vanderbilt graduate.
Look at Goldbelly.com. You can get many different foodS from all over the country. It’s expensive but during quarantine my Neighbors have ordered lox and bagels from NY, pizza from Chicago, etc. An interesting treat since no one is going out.
Cynthia
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm still LAS. Went down a few rabbit holes to no avail.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Meg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 am
Thurman8er wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:22 am Filled out the grid and have just barely started looking for the meta.

BUT, I wanted to make sure you all knew about GRIDS FOR GOOD. There are some metas included. It's a great collection for a great cause and can be downloaded (for a donation of $10 or more) at gridsforgood.com.

This is from Evan Birnholz:

I am very proud to announce the release of Grids for Good! This is a collection of 42 crosswords and variety puzzles by 44 different constructors to raise money for coronavirus relief and as well as organizations fighting against institutional racism.

The set contains 19 themed crosswords, 13 themeless crosswords, 7 variety puzzles, and 3 metapuzzles! The metas are part of a contest. Send your meta answers to gridsforgood AT gmail DOT com by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on July 18 for a chance to win an @InkubatorXWords swag bag!
gridsforgood.com doesn't seem to exist.
The website is gridsforgood.org
The email address for sending in your meta answer is gridsforgood@gmail.com
Thanks for the correction, all. GRIDSFORGOOD dot ORG.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Well, I found a solution. It's nice and symmetrical, uses all the theme answers in a consistent way, and it seems to be English. But like last week's solution (which I got but still don't get), I don't understand how it fits the original clue. And so...

...cocktails with Isaac at eight bells. Count me still aboard.

~~~

Doh! Got it.

I'm ashore. It's hotternbejeezum today. I'll have an ice cold Bud.
Last edited by femullen on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. It was the water splashed in my face that did it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Made it to shore. Like others here the path to the answer finally dawned on me and then it was smooth sailing to the beach. Also like some others I have no doubt about my answer and thought the meta was fun and just the right level of challenge.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Ashore.

I'd rather be watching the 60D 40A this weekend but I'll settle for a Dark and Stormy in the backyard.

I made the mistake of diving into the first Aubrey/Maturin novel by Patrick O'Brian after reading an article in the WSJ pages a week or two ago. I think I can say I'm officially hooked and in at least in one sense (this week anyway) At Sea.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Oh Al, I do hope you sound better than that. I couldn't listen to the whole thing.
Yes Al, I'm sure is much better than that, and doesn't snap strings as much.

Now if you want a better version of the same song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-LeFe1vx8&t=82s
KscX

Post by KscX »

After three weeks at sea I'm ashore! 10 weeks in and I can't imagine a pandemic without the WSJCC. If we ever get back to real life I won't give it up...
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am This one is a KAS 1 Billion for me.
I stand by this. Someone was nice enough to drive by and put a bullet in this turtle - who had been flipped on his shell and baking in the Florida sun - by giving me the correct answer and method.

And I can with 100% certainty say if I had all the resources in the world (except for other people) and a billion years I never would have solved this - I never would have gotten the first step but even more importantly even if I had just been given the next part as a jumping off point - I wouldn’t have been able to solve it from there.

I’m shocked people think this one was easy but that TALLY was hard - this was significantly more difficult at both stages.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Aha! With a sudden bolt from 12D (or was it 53D?), I have found myself on shore! I really liked this one, it’s put a big smile on my face.

I think I will pour myself a nice birthday Reverend May’s hard cider (at an appropriate hour, of course.)