"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Had an inkling from the first bread crumb in the grid, and it was just a matter of figuring it all out from there. Good one, and I think a good level of difficulty. The grid had some obscurities though.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ashore. Although I made it a lot harder by missing one part and then without an obvious answer, trying to force another level of complexity to it all. I think I see some extra cleverness in the construction--will be curious to see the discussion Monday.
Hey 14A, play "Working in the Coal Mine." :)
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore. Well, submitted an answer. I keep looking for 1 or 2 extras things that aren't there, but think it's a fun puzzle. I raise my Mint Julep to Messrs Berry and Shenk.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm Like this a lot as well as Patrick Berry's Variety puzzles.

Especially now that I'm on the
BEACH....

and I've got the picture to prove it.

candw.jpg

(Sorry, turned out bigger than I wanted)

Actually my daughter took this several years ago on Block Island as I posed with some flotsam creatures that an anonymous imaginative person had made and left behind.
She promptly captioned it: THE RESEMBLANCE IS UNCANNY ---------- you make the call!

Who knew back then that I would reunite with whimsy in such a fun enterprise!

In keeping with my blatant RI brand product placement I'll say: Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett! -- and one for me too, preferably an Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout.
WOW - you're a ROCK star!! :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On shore. Enjoyed a cold, refreshing Bomb Pop Sour from a local microbrewery. "inspired by the iconic red, white and blue popsicle. [It] has lactose “to give it some of that creamy mouth feel and a ton of tart cherry, raspberry and lemon lime” as an ode to the popsicle." A great thirst quencher on a muggy summer day.

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 pm
C=64 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:14 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:35 pm I did not know 54D. So the only answer that came to my mind for "Wood that doesn't float" was the punchline to a joke of dubious taste that you'd have to be boomer plus to remember/get:

Natalie
I am a GenXer whose mother shared jokes of dubious taste with her children. There was also the spin-off of the joke "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" -- "other than that, Mr. Wagner, how was your Thanksgiving?"
Hello fellow GenXer, although I have to say I was an Apple ][ man.
Well I'm a Boomer and, sorry to admit, that is the first thing I thought when I saw that clue, and had the other name fit I'd probably have used it and thought that was part of the mechanism. But I'm in healthcare so don't get me started about sick or irreverant jokes, we are famous for being a bit macabre.

Apple, C-64, HA! I was playing with those maddening little boxes when Texas Instruments was still a player. As time went on and I got an AT&T 8086 with dual floppy drives I remember thinking,"CPM will triumph, this PC-Disk Operating System is just a flash in the pan". There unfortunately in a nutshell is why, despite the urging of some of my more adventurous friends, I did not invest any money in a little company like Microsoft that had at that point (1) a new operating system (2) the third best word processor (after WordStar and just about any text editor) and a clunky little program called Multiplan which could not hold a candle to Lotus 1-2-3! I also didn't think Intel would ever be that big a deal, after all it didn't make the computer, just the chips. Explains why my friends all retired 15 years ago......
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm originally posted over in the Acapulco Lounge ...

Given there are more than 600 Muggles and this video has only 130+ views, I am willing to venture not many have seen it. See Mike Schenk and Mike Miller as they discuss the evolution of Muggles and the quest for a Mug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShzxhHyqQ5I&t=337s

See y'all Thursday!

Cheers,
Mark
GREAT Clip, who knew we were all famous! At first I thought - WHAT?, where are the muggles but then I saw the post in the Acapulco Lounge to make sure you wen tot he beginning because the link takes you to the middle where you miss all the Muggle talk. It was interesting to see the people who we "know" so well but probably wouldn't know if we walked by them. I say our renowned cruise director's name - you GO Bob!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore —the best place to give this one-word answer
Q. How great is Patrick?
A. Very!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well, finally! Went back to something I was playing with on Thursday and other pieces fell into place. On shore... if there's any room left.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Well, finally! Went back to something I was playing with on Thursday and other pieces fell into place. On shore... if there's any room left.
There is always room for Jello - and Al
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Well, finally! Went back to something I was playing with on Thursday and other pieces fell into place. On shore... if there's any room left.
There is always room for Jello - and Al
Appreciate that. I may pass on the Guinness, though, as I tried very hard to make up for the economic pain of the pandemic felt by my local bar last night -- three months' worth -- all in one night. Note: I am not hungover; I am merely paying the price for allowing my publican to stay alive and fight another day. I'm a saint, really.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore! Total solve time 10m xw 46m meta.

Elegant puzzle. I heart Patrick Berry.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

OFF TOPIC, but not really. This one is for Al who is forgoing a Guinness even for medicinal purposes. Hopefully, it starts at the beginning. ; )

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=26789 ... s%20photos
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I have finally "solved" the grid. Might have been able to guess the NE corner except for ambiguity at a key intersection. But I'd have never gotten the eastern flank without Monsieur G.

As for the meta, for now I am Sergeant Schultz: I see NUH-thing!
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 am
Appreciate that. I may pass on the Guinness, though, as I tried very hard to make up for the economic pain of the pandemic felt by my local bar last night -- three months' worth -- all in one night. Note: I am not hungover; I am merely paying the price for allowing my publican to stay alive and fight another day. I'm a saint, really.
You know how someone says something, and you don't know whether to believe them or not? Well I checked on Al's statement and its TRUE, he is a Saint, I found documentation, obviously from when his hair and beard had not started to gray. But I KNOW it to be true because they said he was full of Blarney and was a Rebel - it's like the perfect META confirmation tie in!!! See for yourself! :lol:

St Alex Sisti -Medium.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning fellow muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggle Caleb from the WSJ page

If you have not seen the video on the muggles and metas, please find one of the links above. It is great. If you had any doubts about whether our comments here are read by the WSJ editors and writers, this should leave no doubt.

An interesting meta by Patrick Berry. However we have 125 on the shore and 6 still working on it with Isaac.

Imbibing on the ship or tending the gardens are
yourpalsal
femullen
Janet P
SewYoung
EVI
and beccacollins

And the crowd on the shore includes
Tom Wilson
Joe R
Wendy
Hector
Beth T
Beth A
and Beth C
joequavis
sanmilton
DBMiller
docison
Chris
C=64
Frankie
geeteebee
Steve Beck
Tmart
Meg
Heidi
oldjudge
Cindy
your humble cruise director
michaelm
Bird Lives
joe
CallMeshane
Fred K
Les
Laura M
David K
Vincent
NuYear68
Obie J
Mike H
Susie G
Dow Jones
OGuyDave
higgysue
JoePickett
MileHighSolver
stmv
Kay
Jeanne C
tonyrobots
ky-mike
Jean
JackSull
Jace54
Homer
Rob M
dudeski
dplass
Josh
boharr
Leslie
Softie
Caleb
BrianMac
sharkicicles
Mark L
Jordanian
Richard
damefox
Eric P
Jeff S
Inca
Anita
Big Mac
cbarbee002
RdB
FrankH
Ed S
RDaleHall
samandcam
BarbaraK
fstadler
anjhinz
Paul D
ladybird
seans
Patty
Domenic
Daniel G
jb321123
Doug C
Toby
the Thurman8er
Tina
paige11
norrin2
Glyn
BillKatz
Tony S
Janet
diplomatt
brulo
edot
Guy L
Geoduck
Sean
Scott L
streroto
Geezer
tim1217
DrTom
joes
Diane
PJM
djquimby
whimsy - and check out the picture she posted
Nalugirl
Brian
jimbo1
WDunbar
EmilyW
natalie
LaceyK
Trey and Marion
Cindy N
Till T
Jarrod
MaineMarge
Al
Ricky
Anne

Finally - we had a great video gathering on Tuesday. Great fun and everyone is invited - new muggles, young muggle, inexperienced muggles and especially muggles who have a blog name that is unique. And thanks to Sal for setting it up.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Chased a few 51Ds, but ... ON THE SHORE!

took a different approach this morning and it worked.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
rolias

Post by rolias »

Landfall
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I finally made it to shore.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm happy to report that I am ON SHORE. I thought I had found the path to the solution early on, but backtracked out of that rabbit hole after deciding it was going nowhere. Still, something told me not to give up (for a change) and after tunneling a bit more, AHA at last!
Sara