"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Done finally. Marks a year unbroken of right answers for me. Granted I’ve remembered to submit about about 35 or so to the WSJ, as I continually decide to sit on my answer on Thursday or Friday and then forget to send it in.
emd

Post by emd »

Finally on shore after a few weeks at sea! Fun one.
mlhl

Post by mlhl »

Onshore! It's been a while - feels good to be back in the game.

Marge
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’m onshore! Ready to waste the rest of my Saturday reading a novel...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

regarding a first drink for a 21 year old ... if you want to hit them hard, give them a 6 pack of Strongbow and take away their keys.

They won't know what hit them. I love hard cider, and you can be a few into them before you realize what you've done.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! Gave it up last night; then went back to my original idea this morning and VOILA!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm originally posted over in the Acapulco Lounge ...

Given there are more than 600 Muggles and this video has only 130+ views, I am willing to venture not many have seen it. See Mike Schenk and Mike Miller as they discuss the evolution of Muggles and the quest for a Mug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShzxhHyqQ5I&t=337s

See y'all Thursday!

Cheers,
Mark
Lol one of my posts was used (when I was still on the ship with Isaac.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OK Muggles

Take a look at the second woman singing in the virtual chorus singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" at 19 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gpoJNv5dlQ

Pause it there and look at Beth Albers's avatar below. Are they twins or what?
Attachments
beth a.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore. My suggestion for a first adult beverage is a visit to your local craft brewery. Not only will you be supporting a local business, they likely will have a sample board of sorts to allow testing a range of flavors. And if they have a German Kölsch on tap, that's a bonus!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
We celebrated my daughter's bat-mitzva this weekend, so I got to the puzzle late.
Thank goodness I saw the answer soon after solving the grid. I can get back to cleaning up now...
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Well, finally! Went back to something I was playing with on Thursday and other pieces fell into place. On shore... if there's any room left.
There is always room for Jello - and Al
Appreciate that. I may pass on the Guinness, though, as I tried very hard to make up for the economic pain of the pandemic felt by my local bar last night -- three months' worth -- all in one night. Note: I am not hungover; I am merely paying the price for allowing my publican to stay alive and fight another day. I'm a saint, really.
This clearly illustrates why Al is so good at these puzzles. I have to use Google just to understand what he said. I thought a publican was one in the majority in a red state.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Schmeel wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm Ashore.
We celebrated my daughter's bat-mitzva this weekend, so I got to the puzzle late.
Thank goodness I saw the answer soon after solving the grid. I can get back to cleaning up now...
Congratulations to your entire family.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

My first semiofficial drink was a boilermaker. At that time the drinking age was 18 or if you were in Troy showing a college ID card. We had freshman orientation a week before classes started and naturally all the freshmen were eager to show off their studliness to the other freshmen. (at that time our of 1000 freshmen, RPI had 10 women). So we went to the bars downtown in hoards and started with boilermakers. My roommate and I made it back to the freshmen dorms with the aid of a kindly bus driver. So probably that would not be a particularly good choice to start with.

Second choice. After golf we would go into the clubhouse and all the guys there were smoking cigars and the brew of choice was Colt 45 Malt Liquor. To this day when I smell a cigar, Colt 45 comes to mind. That would be a good education.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 am

There is always room for Jello - and Al
Appreciate that. I may pass on the Guinness, though, as I tried very hard to make up for the economic pain of the pandemic felt by my local bar last night -- three months' worth -- all in one night. Note: I am not hungover; I am merely paying the price for allowing my publican to stay alive and fight another day. I'm a saint, really.
This clearly illustrates why Al is so good at these puzzles. I have to use Google just to understand what he said. I thought a publican was one in the majority in a red state.
You should hear what I sound like when I'm sober. And maybe someday, someone will.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Schmeel wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm Ashore.
Mazel tov!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm

You should hear what I sound like when I'm sober. And maybe someday, someone will.
If you can hold out long enough to abstain until Tuesday night's ZOOM gathering, we will have that opportunity. I guess that will be 8:00 your time, though, so......
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:27 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm

If you can hold out long enough to abstain until Tuesday night's ZOOM gathering, we will have that opportunity. I guess that will be 8:00 your time, though, so......
I plan on it... Zooming, not abstaining,
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

tim1217 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:23 pm I am LAS. I even had a hard time with the grid. But...I'm nursing a major hangover from celebrating Liverpool's English Premier League championship yesterday!

(That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.)
Well you can count me on shore now. I had some Y/N confirmation on the rabbit holes I was exploring, but it still took a while to see the correct path.

I still blame the Liverpool hangover!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Made it to shore!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Walk on! Walk on!
With the meta, in your brain,
And you’ll ne...ver... get... work... done!
Walk on, through the clues...
Pour a drink, blow a fuse,
And you’ll ne...ver go... insane,
Walk on.

Well done Liverpool!
I’m probably the only Gunners fan who’d say that, but it is so well deserved.
#everyoneneedsaKlopp
Ashore, btw.
One world. One planet. One future.