"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Anita wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am A quick Friday report. We have 3 on the ship and 44 on the shore.

And a caution to everyone. While one post was not in the category of a flat out spoiler, it definitely was in the category of a nudge. And several of us, me included, benefitted from the nudge. So please err on the side of caution in nudges.

For our newest Muggles and those sitting on the sidelines with frustration, this afternoon I will be assembling a list of thoughts on how to best attack these metas. They will be open for addition comments and will be posted on the Welcome Aboard/FAQ sections.
That will be much appreciated! I've always wanted to see some kind of tutorial for metas.
I just posted it and appreciate any questions and comments. However there are no silver bullets here.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dencurrin

Post by dencurrin »

Hubby and I made it to shore. Nice puzzle.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Sorry if I end up posting multiple times, but it seems as if my post didn't "take" the first couple of tries. I'm on the shore, but very skeptical... Wondering if there's some extra leap I'm not making. :/
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 pm Let's see who can come up with the best clue for the two grid answers combined. I have some ideas but they are not clever.
I've got one that I'm trying to tweak to be a little better. Can't wait for Monday to see all the ideas.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
jamescarter

Post by jamescarter »

On Shore.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Was in a very deep rabbit hole, when the actual mechanism turned out to be so much simpler. Seafarers, if you are struggling to make an idea work, you have the wrong idea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

For your amusement, when I saw the clue for 27A, I started out trying to fit in "mywifethepastrychef".
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm onshore, after going down a few rabbit holes and setting the puzzle aside for a day. Picking it up again today, I got the inspiration I needed.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

HA! HA I say. At first I thought...oh drat ... this is the kind I never get. Not a glimmer. Then suddenly -- ON SHORE! From agonizing defeat to the joy of victory in a single blinding flash. I love that feeling. Hendrick's and tonic, please, and cheers all around.
JJ33

Post by JJ33 »

On shore!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Fun puzzle. On shore. Thinking of them let alone constructing them is just an amazing feat. So ingenious.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Staggering up the beachhead once again. Wait, that's concertina wire. Those are pillboxes? Oh, jeez....
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Not sure if it's the right shore, but I am onshore!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

I’ve been lurking for a while on the WSJ page and glad to finally be able to join in the discussion.

That being said, I believe I am safely on shore.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Stim100986

Post by Stim100986 »

I had the puzzle solved quickly and took way too long solving the meta. Overthinking or under thinking, I don't know.

I'm ashore and ashamed.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm It’s such a wonderful feeling when the meta light goes on! I’m on the beach.
Don't know if I have never seen it before but LOVED the Chicken/Egg comment, chuckled out loud, wife checked to make sure I was not choking!

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 am
Meg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm It’s such a wonderful feeling when the meta light goes on! I’m on the beach.
Don't know if I have never seen it before but LOVED the Chicken/Egg comment, chuckled out loud, wife checked to make sure I was not choking!

Tom
Tom, it’s fun to watch people's faces because at first this joke make absolutely no sense. Then it does.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:15 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 am

Tom
Tom, it’s fun to watch people's faces because at first this joke make absolutely no sense. Then it does.
My wife did not understand it at first and then she gave me the same look as when I pun her.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was satisfying! Looks like two in a row, and I only partially needed Mike's Meta Mega Hint. It appears I am in a crowd of solvers though so I won't hold my breath for the mug. I will try to come up with a clue for the answer, and I have one that is bouncing around my head. I'd bet, given this illustrious den of solvers and thinkers, there will be some very clever ones.

"Someone dumped a ton of Lego bricks on my driveway - I don't know what to make of it?" :o
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!