"Head Count" - June 12, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

on shore for the first time in a couple weeks! really happy with my persistence on this one. now time to stare at MGWCC :)
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

sphorning wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:30 am Still on the ship with Isaac and I flat out don't understand 32 across...
The seventh letter of the classical Greek alphabet is eta. The upper case letter is identical to the "H" of the Latin alphabet and the lower case letter, "η," is similar to the "h" of the Latin alphabet. Sometimes, given the details of the Greek font, as here, the η might resemble a lower case "n," but, when written out there is no question that it is more similar to "h."

HHH might have been Hubert H. Humphrey (especially given 11A) but, to fit with 27D, 28D, 29D and 4D, it has to be a trio of Greek η's: ETAS.

It is only rarely that I get to savor the fruit of a long ago classical education; It's been 45 years, but I can still recite the Greek alphabet.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Been staring at this stupid thing off and on for the whole weekend. NOTHING is popping out. Someone else mentioned a recent WSJ meta slump. I'm in one too. From the comments, it seems I'll be slapping my head tomorrow morning. But I don't see having a flash of inspiration any time soon. Got the Gaffney in pretty quick time, but nothing here. Isaac and I may end up being roommates since we've gotten to know each other quite well of late.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On dry land thanks to a slight nudge from a kind Muggle. Thank you, Heidi!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

LAS, but I haven't had very long to search. We shall see.
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

STILL struggling with the meta. I doubt I'm going to make it before my coach turns back into a pumpkin. If so, this will, alas, be the fourth week in the row stuck onboard — although, it seems I have much delightful company.
rolias

Post by rolias »

That was a mighty long swim. Phew!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hissongcle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 pm
sphorning wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:30 am Still on the ship with Isaac and I flat out don't understand 32 across...
The seventh letter of the classical Greek alphabet is eta. The upper case letter is identical to the "H" of the Latin alphabet and the lower case letter, "η," is similar to the "h" of the Latin alphabet. Sometimes, given the details of the Greek font, as here, the η might resemble a lower case "n," but, when written out there is no question that it is more similar to "h."

HHH might have been Hubert H. Humphrey (especially given 11A) but, to fit with 27D, 28D, 29D and 4D, it has to be a trio of Greek η's: ETAS.

It is only rarely that I get to savor the fruit of a long ago classical education; It's been 45 years, but I can still recite the Greek alphabet.
And that is of value either in higher level math or crossword puzzled
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Finally on shore thanks to a shove by Barbara! Not submitting. If I have to ask more than 1 clarifying question that's not fair. And I was WAY off until I saw the path. Cheers everyone!
Carla

Post by Carla »

Carla wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:36 pmOn shore!
I know I don’t say this often, but I am really on shore! :lol:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 33 on the ship and 108 on the shore

And our newest muggle is RobM

Keeping Isaac company for the week are
Oldjudge
SewYoung
martimeryard
Tom Shea
BrianD
Commodore
Peter L
rexthree
hissongle
joe
and the Thurman8er

New to the shore are
Inca
DaveWa
Jacksull
jimbo1
Omnibus
Burak
Nalugirl
yungchap
lusophile
RobM
rolias
Jeremy
and Susan H

Good luck to all winning the mug. There will be some interesting stories tomorrow
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm beginning to believe I have lost my meta-solving mojo! No worries - Isaac has taken pity on me and has promised to come up with a new concoction every weekend that I continue to struggle. What a guy!!!
Sara
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

On shore with a little help from my smarty-pants daughter. Fun!
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

I think I"m on shore but not 100% confident with my answer. Submitted anyway.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I'm on A shore, but likely not the right one... Only rabbit I found that led me anywhere.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Ha, Becca, basically the same post at the same time. Except, I feel like rather than me being "not 100% confident", I more like 80% confident my answer is wrong.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

On shore with a little help.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:10 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 am
ReB wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02 am ...
It is interesting that the hardest metas seem to be a piece of cake for others, and others struggle over what pops out at me quickly. I guess the sea looks very different to some versus others.
Could not agree more. I don't consider myself a strong solver -- usually struggle with the majority of metas, but I had this one with no rabbit holes. I looked at the list of double-words and must have subconsciously seen that the leading letters were all different. Wrote down the letters of the alphabet right under that list, started crossing them off, and the smile widened and widened as I realized there were no dups. TZ? Oh, ZT!

Nice to get two this weekend after an O'fer last weekend.

Stay safe.
The crossword gurus take revenge in a harsh way. One week I got the meta looking at it and then for the next two weeks it was zero, zip, nada
Wow, Director, did you ever hit the nail on the head with this post (from last week's puzzle's blog)! Totally lost. Hit up a fellow muggle for a hint. Still couldn't get it. Another hint, and it finally came through. Never, never would have gotten this one. And so many have found it easy. Geesh!

Not submitting, so don't count me on the beach. Isaac, another rum and coke, please!

TFTXWD anyway. Still fun.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Liberty, biberty,
Down to wire and
Feeling as if I was
Out of the fight.

All of a sudden, and
Numerologically,
No longer floundering,
I see the light!

Or maybe I should say the lighthouse at this eleventh hour. Nothing unfair about this, but I certainly wish it hadn't taken me all weekend to figure it out! Needless to say, I didn't wait until I plodded ashore to start drinking! Rest well, everyone, on land and off!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore just in time!