"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am Color me old: two spaces, no Oxford comma, and definitely no "singular they" (and yes, I am aware I used the Oxford comma there. Sometimes it helps. That's why I never say "always," and always avoid saying "never").
At the risk of weakening my geezer cred, I must admit that the singular they is growing on me.

And speaking of generational changes in period use, I recently heard that ending a text with a period is rude. Sorry to everyone I offend, but that's another hard habit to break.
Funny, as a young whippersnapper, I used to end texts with a period all the time. It was years before a girlfriend told me that it "sounds fake" if the period is at the end. I guess texts are casual and the period sounds too formal? It's still weird to me sometimes, and my also-millenial brother uses periods at the ends of his texts.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am At the risk of weakening my geezer cred, I must admit that the singular they is growing on me.

And speaking of generational changes in period use, I recently heard that ending a text with a period is rude. Sorry to everyone I offend, but that's another hard habit to break.
I outgeeze you, and I far prefer they to he or she. Do we really want to say, "Anyone can get this meta if he or she really tries"?

I read that same article about the text period being rude. I was skeptical. It seemed like another one of those "two people I know told me this so it must be a trend" bits of filler journalism.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Flamel616 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 am
Funny, as a young whippersnapper, I used to end texts with a period all the time. It was years before a girlfriend told me that it "sounds fake" if the period is at the end. I guess texts are casual and the period sounds too formal? It's still weird to me sometimes, and my also-millenial brother uses periods at the ends of his texts.
I think it depends on the nature of the text and the recipient. I never use periods when texting my college-age daughter. I do use them in a more lengthy texts to colleagues et al.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am
I read that same article about the text period being rude. I was skeptical. It seemed like another one of those "two people I know told me this so it must be a trend" bits of filler journalism.
OMG, he's exposing how journalism works!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Well, this is a fine kettle of fish! Looks like I’ve mistakenly logged onto a NASA forum, with all these space comments.
No matter. Since it appears that I’ve drawn Friday stern garden duty yet again, Bob, you can count me back there today. Any of you spaceship cadets who care to join me are welcome 🙋‍♀️
boharr

Post by boharr »

As we digress (and since I'm still with Isaac), here's another bit of journalism legend.

When I first went to work for a newspaper (only in print back then), I was told that the elimination of the Oxford comma as a policy was put in place because of the ink that would be saved over the course of a year by having so many fewer commas.

Apocryphal? Maybe. But fun.

Now, however, I use it. And not just for "revenge." But because, as has been mentioned, the Oxford comma can be essential for clarity in some instances.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

boharr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 am As we digress (and since I'm still with Isaac), here's another bit of journalism legend.

When I first went to work for a newspaper (only in print back then), I was told that the elimination of the Oxford comma as a policy was put in place because of the ink that would be saved over the course of a year by having so many fewer commas.

Now, however, I use it. And not just for "revenge." But because, as has been mentioned, the Oxford comma can be essential for clarity in some instances.
What is the saying? Digression is the better part of valor>
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 am
boharr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 am As we digress (and since I'm still with Isaac), here's another bit of journalism legend.

What is the saying? Digression is the better part of valor>
You win.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am At the risk of weakening my geezer cred, I must admit that the singular they is growing on me.

I outgeeze you, and I far prefer they to he or she. Do we really want to say, "Anyone can get this meta if he or she really tries"?

It used to be that using "he" implied either male or female. Then we moved on to the beloved slash "he/she". So going to "they" is probably a better evolution.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our noon report, among the discussions on periods, commas and other things, has 18 on the ship and 39 on the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm Our noon report, among the discussions on periods, commas and other things, has 18 on the ship and 39 on the shore.
No Oxford Comma or period spaces count? Inquiring minds want to know!

Also, it has been a while since I leafed through it, but Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss is a book that I will revisit, based on the sub-thread this week.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
TPS

Post by TPS »

I guess I weigh in as an attorney and a former equity research analyst who published probably 5k pages of published material a year.

Yes on Oxford comma and on 2 spaces.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird, Journalists certainly do not have lock on this. As I constantly informed new residents who were about to go and deal/argue with an established, older (and probably slightly bombastic) practitioner:
"In my clinical experience" translation "I had a patient once"
"This has been successful over and over" translation "Saw it once when I was a resident and saw it again last week"
"This has been in practice since the beginning of time" translation "My Chief Resident told me about this, and his Chief Resident told him"

Fable and lore are the strongest part of any profession, but they certainly don't have to be true, where's the fun in that? Oh, and I LOVE punctuation, to me it is like potato chips; once I get started I can't get enough until of course it makes me physically ill! I used to always use two spaces but then one time I missed a period and that lead to a pregnant pause. So I adopted the concept of a single space, kind of a contraconcept.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I feel that way now given the cost of those cartridges for my ink-jet printer. Before I print the pdf of the WSJ puzzle, I delete the previous day's solution and the "E-mail your answer" block below the clues. (OK, not really to save ink but to have space to make notes in. But still . . .)
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I am on-shore and once again had to be pulled out of the foam because I was making it WAAAAY to hard (ARRRGGHH). As I stated to my lifeguard who 1Ded me (poke, really, that's not a nudge that's a salad, ask my Aunt Annie for the recipe, she'll be back from the funeral soon, gators apparently got her Granny) back to reality: Sometimes I get so involved looking for the needle in the haystack that I get impaled on the pitchfork.

So ashore but not submitting and now to try to embarrass myself two days in a row - on to the next Matt Gaffney puzzle!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:39 am Well, this is a fine kettle of fish! Looks like I’ve mistakenly logged onto a NASA forum, with all these space comments.
No matter. Since it appears that I’ve drawn Friday stern garden duty yet again, Bob, you can count me back there today. Any of you spaceship cadets who care to join me are welcome 🙋‍♀️
Marge, the comments on the live feed from the space mission were hilarious. Flat Earth trolls kept chiming in, saying the whole thing was a fake. One brilliant riposte: "I hear the Flat Earthers are having a convention. Delegates are coming from around the world."
The footage was amazing. What a change from watching the 1960s NASA liftoffs on the black-and-white TV in my parents' bedroom!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Two spaces.
Last night we were watching a re-run of jeopardy. The answer was Richard III. I called it out, and my husband was amazed at how "smart" I was!!! So does that mean that doing these metas improves your coronabrain function??? I hope so...
boharr

Post by boharr »

TPS wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:39 pm I guess I weigh in as an attorney and a former equity research analyst who published probably 5k pages of published material a year.

Yes on Oxford comma and on 2 spaces.
I'd think equity research analysis would require at least 4 spaces.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nlobb wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm Two spaces.
Last night we were watching a re-run of jeopardy. The answer was Richard III. I called it out, and my husband was amazed at how "smart" I was!!! So does that mean that doing these metas improves your coronabrain function??? I hope so...
That's funny - I got the same look from my wife for the very same reason. Thankfully I did not almost yell out RICHARD II....

I'm surprised at how often these crosswords, and this forum, helps me with a Jeopardy question.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:49 pm
I feel that way now given the cost of those cartridges for my ink-jet printer. Before I print the pdf of the WSJ puzzle, I delete the previous day's solution and the "E-mail your answer" block below the clues. (OK, not really to save ink but to have space to make notes in. But still . . .)
So I'm not the only one?! And I really do it to save ink. I reduce the size to have margins for notes.

That logo in the top right corner too.