"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm Since I am going no where on the meta and to add to the discussion on made up words, almost 50 years ago, my wife and I were playing Scrabble. We did not have a scrabble dictionary and I am not even sure we had a dictionary. I put down the word EGGMAN. I argued that we had a milkman who delivered milk and a breadman who delivered bread, so what did you call the guy who delivered eggs. To this day, my wife refuses to acknowledge the word.

What sayeth our sage panel? thumbs up or down?
Thumbs up! My husband still doesn't forgive me for "cakey".
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 pm The answer can't be just based on the meaning of the theme answers right? The letters forming the answer to the puzzle have to actually be in the puzzle. Is that right?
All's fair in the meta-verse. But this question is better asked as a PM.
Heidi
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:11 pm I'll tell you what this is the most LAS I've ever been - definitely the most LAS after thinking I had a good answer. I thought I was getting better at these but the last three weeks have just convinced me I didn't get any better rather the prior two weeks where I was ashore were just ridiculously simple puzzles!
I have something I am going to submit - If it is wrong, its wrong. Like the Jefferson Airplane puzzle from several weeks back there is a limited number of possible answers and I feel like I have one that works (or there is just an amazing coincidence) .

But if there is someone firmly onshore who would like to check my answer I'd really appreciate it. Maybe they can even explain where that's the answer if I do indeed have the correct answer!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’ll check you—PM me.
TPS

Post by TPS »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:55 pm I’ll check you—PM me.
Thank you - someone beat you to it. I was wrong but there is an amazing coincidence in the puzzle.
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

On shore, two spaces, oxford comma.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:41 pm I say goo goo g’joob
So who is the walrus?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Obviously Paul—see Glass Onion
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:33 pm Here's one for Dr. Tom: What's the difference between a cat and a comma? One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.
LIKE it! Now in our house it is "you can call it a comma if it comes at the end of a clause, a cat won't comma no matter what you call it (and TRUST me I have called them everything, including some of the things my Dad used to call me - you'll have to go back to last week for that one).

"Momma, is THAT what we call the cat now?"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I’m with Isaac. My only consolation to seeing so many pages of forum at 5:20 pm CDT is a) most of the comments are about punctuation and b) I’m being kept company by so many old timers/quick solvers.

Cheers!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:16 pm Obviously Paul—see Glass Onion
Hey, wait a minute, I played it backwards, Paul is dead, he was murdered. The person you see now playing him is actually the fellow who used to deliver their eggs. I believe he was called the Egg Deliverer or something. Kinda like the Milk Deliverer.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm Since I am going no where on the meta and to add to the discussion on made up words, almost 50 years ago, my wife and I were playing Scrabble. We did not have a scrabble dictionary and I am not even sure we had a dictionary. I put down the word EGGMAN. I argued that we had a milkman who delivered milk and a breadman who delivered bread, so what did you call the guy who delivered eggs. To this day, my wife refuses to acknowledge the word.

Our eggs were delivered by the milkman, and the "I am the Walrus" lyrics have it as "egg man", so I'd have to give you a thumbs down.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 pm The answer can't be just based on the meaning of the theme answers right? The letters forming the answer to the puzzle have to actually be in the puzzle. Is that right?
The fun thing about meta puzzles is there are no rules. Anything the creator can think of is fair game.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Two thumbs up. Quoting the Beatles: “I am the eggman. They are the eggmen.” In my book, if it has a plural, it’s a word.

And two spaces, Oxford comma for me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I got VERY tied up with this relatively easy META (yes I know they are all simple once solved). I cannot wait to tell everyone my brilliant methodology that had me talking to the cats (everyone else in the house stopped listening) as I sat up past 2 AM trying to put it together. Then there was my presumed swim to shore with what I thought a perfect answer (but was disenchanted of it all the same), and then the one MORE answer I got before I actually got the answer, which also seemed quite appropriate and I am sure people will argue about.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

We've had plenty where the answer is not in the grid, or at least not all of it. For example, I can think of "Soap Operas" where only "soap" was in the grid and "Wonder Twins" where we had "win" & "won" but had to search for the cartoon.

As far as this puzzle, I'm LAS. I'm frustrated that it's only rated 2 stars and I'm getting nowhere. I see something that I think should be a part of the solution, but I can't get so much as a guess out of it.
boharr

Post by boharr »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:49 pm

Thumbs up! My husband still doesn't forgive me for "cakey".
Eggman is good. But you got away with cakey?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This meta is elegant beyond contestation.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:26 pm
The fun thing about meta puzzles is there are no rules. Anything the creator can think of is fair game.
Yes! Yes! Yes! No rules.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.