"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

boharr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm
TPS wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:39 pm I guess I weigh in as an attorney and a former equity research analyst who published probably 5k pages of published material a year.

Yes on Oxford comma and on 2 spaces.
I'd think equity research analysis would require at least 4 spaces.
Or, at least 9 figures and three commas!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Ashore! Anxiously awaiting Dom's arrival.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Here's one for Dr. Tom: What's the difference between a cat and a comma? One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.
Heidi
femullen

Post by femullen »

geeteebee wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:29 pm The AHA moment just arrived. Now watch me be wrong...
I think I'm still back-stroking with the mermaids. I have a very solid answer, but I never had the "Aha!" moment, which makes me think this is a trap. I'm trying to look for other approaches, but once you find something that works, it's hard to unsee it make yourself believe that there's a better answer.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm On another note, for our literary experts, in today's WSJ, there is an article about a pressing issue. After a period, do you leave one space or two?
I side with Opus:

https://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county/2015/10/01
https://www.berkeleybreathed.com/store/ ... ca-t-shirt
TPS

Post by TPS »

I'll tell you what this is the most LAS I've ever been - definitely the most LAS after thinking I had a good answer. I thought I was getting better at these but the last three weeks have just convinced me I didn't get any better rather the prior two weeks where I was ashore were just ridiculously simple puzzles!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Still on the ship. I got a new laptop this week, and when I printed out the puzzle the entire page was black, and the text was white, as well as an all black grid with a few white boxes. After some googling, learned this is an issue with Windows 10 default printer drivers and Brother printers, where it defaults to reverse printing. Finally got it working correctly after several uninstall and reinstall attempts. I'm a two spacer, with no strong feelings on the Oxford comma.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:11 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm On another note, for our literary experts, in today's WSJ, there is an article about a pressing issue. After a period, do you leave one space or two?
I side with Opus:

https://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county/2015/10/01
https://www.berkeleybreathed.com/store/ ... ca-t-shirt
You nailed that one.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Two spaces, Oxford comma, on shore.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am Color me old: two spaces, no Oxford comma, and definitely no "singular they" (and yes, I am aware I used the Oxford comma there. Sometimes it helps. That's why I never say "always," and always avoid saying "never").
I will defend the Oxford comma in most cases, although I'm coming around to not using it all the time. My writing tends to contain too many commas and parentheses unless I really watch it.

Grammatically I hate the singular "they," but I've learned to accept it for non-binary people, and as a result I'm more likely to use it in general cases. Until English comes up with a gender-neutral substitute for he/she, I think this is where we are.

My kid uses "literally" all the time as an intensifier, and THAT is a hill I'm willing to die on.

(I'm still on the ship, by the way...)
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

The answer can't be just based on the meaning of the theme answers right? The letters forming the answer to the puzzle have to actually be in the puzzle. Is that right?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Since I am going no where on the meta and to add to the discussion on made up words, almost 50 years ago, my wife and I were playing Scrabble. We did not have a scrabble dictionary and I am not even sure we had a dictionary. I put down the word EGGMAN. I argued that we had a milkman who delivered milk and a breadman who delivered bread, so what did you call the guy who delivered eggs. To this day, my wife refuses to acknowledge the word.

What sayeth our sage panel? thumbs up or down?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm Since I am going no where on the meta and to add to the discussion on made up words, almost 50 years ago, my wife and I were playing Scrabble. We did not have a scrabble dictionary and I am not even sure we had a dictionary. I put down the word EGGMAN. I argued that we had a milkman who delivered milk and a breadman who delivered bread, so what did you call the guy who delivered eggs. To this day, my wife refuses to acknowledge the word.

I say it counts, and so do the Counting Crows, who have a catchy song called "Einstein on the Beach (For an Eggman)". One of my favorites from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrsxrnKioY
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I say goo goo g’joob
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm Since I am going no where on the meta and to add to the discussion on made up words, almost 50 years ago, my wife and I were playing Scrabble. We did not have a scrabble dictionary and I am not even sure we had a dictionary. I put down the word EGGMAN. I argued that we had a milkman who delivered milk and a breadman who delivered bread, so what did you call the guy who delivered eggs. To this day, my wife refuses to acknowledge the word.

Thumbs up! From the Beatles' song I Am the Walrus: "I am the eggman…"
Amy

Post by Amy »

I’m celebrating 🥳 my 42nd birthday 🎁 today
and I was taught
Spaces after a period … 2️⃣

I, unfortunately, am a few more spaces than that area from the meta solution. 🤣😂

Happy Solving - Happy Friday ❤️
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Amy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:43 pm I’m celebrating 🥳 my 42nd birthday 🎁 today
and I was taught
Spaces after a period … 2️⃣

I, unfortunately, am a few more spaces than that area from the meta solution. 🤣😂

Happy Solving - Happy Friday ❤️
Happy Birthday, Amy!!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I convinced myself that one of my possible answers was correct, and have now reached shore. I wait for Sunday night to see if I was right.

Close enough to 5:00 for a celebratory adult beverage, I think.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Happy birthday, Amy.
TPS

Post by TPS »

MarkL wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm Or, at least 9 figures and three commas!
Hahaha - 9 figures - I wish! 6 yes. Even when I was a I-banker I never got to 7 figures! ERA for the most part haven't made that kind of money since the global settlement post Enron/Worldcom and now after MiFID II - they are lucky to crack $300k.