"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Got an answer I feel is pretty justifiable, but can't shake the feeling it's not the answer. Guess I'll wait till Monday, or if anyone's willing to venture me a "confirm or deny," feel free to hit me with a PM!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Still aboard, but someone has to stand anchor watch.

Will have another look after work.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore!

Helps that most people said it was on the easier end-- so I knew not to overthink it :)
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Ashore. As others have said, refreshingly simple compared to last week but still enjoyable. Had the mechanism just before I finished grid.

I’m surprised so few do it on paper, but I don’t have a fixed desk at work so it’s much easier for me to print it and carry it around, solving in down moments. And I find the meta much easier to see when you can look at the entire grid and clues at one glance.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I just heard back from Mike Miller on the glitch in solving/submitting on line. They are working on the problem. They did try it with Chrome and it worked. Is this consistent with what others experiences are?

I can not imagine trying to get something on line to work with various hardware platforms and various search engines.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

As easy as it was made out to be here, I couldn't see it for the longest time. Mental block, I guess.
However, now I'm ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm
Richard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 pm I do the grid on line and when I finished I got congratulated for solving the puzzle.

I also get the meta. Will have an IPA later. Good meta imho.

I was going to ask Al Sisti what he does the rest of the day and week end after solving the metas so fast and then I saw the path.
What does Al do when he's not solving metas? He writes them! Check out his latest right here:
forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=395
I filled in the grid but am trying to understand the meta. There appears to be certain grid answers that are outlined but that is not clear.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

Ooh, ooh! I finally got one!

But there doesn't seem to be a button on the puzzle page to send in my answer. Technology challenged, me.

I'll find the button somehow, but in the meantime please pollute my Safire with quinine. Ice is nice, and lime, a slice. Gotta keep off the scurvy.
Last edited by femullen on Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

More on Monday, but I would not say that this meta was "easy".

If you haven't solved, yet, buck up! It isn't as if the answer should fall off of the page or screen for everyone.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Fri May 15, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Finally waded ashore this morning.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:47 am
BarbaraK wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm
Richard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 pm I do the grid on line and when I finished I got congratulated for solving the puzzle.

I also get the meta. Will have an IPA later. Good meta imho.

I was going to ask Al Sisti what he does the rest of the day and week end after solving the metas so fast and then I saw the path.
What does Al do when he's not solving metas? He writes them! Check out his latest right here:
forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=395
I filled in the grid but am trying to understand the meta. There appears to be certain grid answers that are outlined but that is not clear.
That might just be a print glitch. There are not *d or otherwise indicated theme answers.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

tim1217 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:49 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm
flyingMoose wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm
Me all over.
Ditto. Tried to PM Mike Miller about it over 90 minutes ago but it’s stuck in my Outbox and I don’t know how to remedy that. Would someone PM Mike to let him know the problem? I don’t have a printer so if the WSJ website doesn’t get fixed, I am out of luck.
A sent PM shows up in your outbox until the recipient opens it.
Thanks Tim. As of 10:15am EDT the problem persists in the four different browsers I tried (including Chrome). I see in a later post that Mike Miller and his colleagues are on it so, rather than acting like a lab rat and pressing the refresh key mindlessly every 2 seconds, I will wait at least 20 seconds before pressing it.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Jazzvibist wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:21 am
tim1217 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:49 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm
Ditto. Tried to PM Mike Miller about it over 90 minutes ago but it’s stuck in my Outbox and I don’t know how to remedy that. Would someone PM Mike to let him know the problem? I don’t have a printer so if the WSJ website doesn’t get fixed, I am out of luck.
A sent PM shows up in your outbox until the recipient opens it.
Thanks Tim. As of 10:15am EDT the problem persists in the four different browsers I tried (including Chrome). I see in a later post that Mike Miller and his colleagues are on it so, rather than acting like a lab rat and pressing the refresh key mindlessly every 2 seconds, I will wait at least 20 seconds before pressing it.
I too had the issue described. Then I just now updated Chrome (under Chrome/About Google Chrome), and now Play of the puzzle works as it should. Yes, I tried Play immediately before doing the update, so I am reasonably confident that was the issue for me.

Sorry if all of that is a bit obtuse.
Last edited by flyingMoose on Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Just landed on the sandy beach, oh what a feeling!!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm one of those still drinking at the bar with Isaac. The beach is too crowded anyway!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Going broke hanging with Isaac the last few weeks.

Time to go do something else for a while and hope that the light bulb is not completely burnt out.
Rufus T. Firefly
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm ashore.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I just hit PLAY at the WSJ web site and it worked as normal. Using Safari.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Very happy to be on shore for a change. Internet has been sporadic and I can't print right now so I had to pull up the PDF and draw the grid on a piece of paper to solve. Glad to be on the beach with the gang.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

So happy to be finally on the beach after a long absence! Nice one!