"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore! Took me 2 theme answers to figure out the meta but had a couple struggles with the grid. I'm an 80's kid so I wasn't around for Woodstock, but thanks to my cool parents I knew enough of the bands that were there.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I was, uh, negative nine when Woodstock happened, and my parents are pre-Boomer age so the music I grew up listening to went up to about 1962. But I was surprised that I had heard of like 80 percent of the bands there.

Anyway Google exists so, while late 60s music might not be in my wheelhouse, it’s not like a meta is going to use some obscure band that had one album that no ones heard of. Might be easier for those who lived through it, but not impossible for those who didn’t.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore after a faux pas (now deleted).
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 pm On shore after a faux pas (now deleted).
:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm
Sounds like it could be a line out of “Small Circle of Friends”
I saw Phil Ochs a few times. He wasn't at Woodstock, was he?
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

WDunbar wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:34 pm Ashore. I usually try to solve these without looking at the prompt, and spent a lot of time chasing rabbits, and then found it was much easier than I thought after actually reading everything. Took some minor assistance from Bing, but I guess I kind of had an idea they played at Woodstock (I'm not old enough to remember unfortunately...)
Streroto did the same thingeearlier this afternoon, and if anybody were actually stuck on ship, it would probably be a code violation.
Jay
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Only 7 when Woodstock happened, but got to see a handful of the performers in later years, particularly a number of Dead shows from the late 70's to early 90's. In spite of the extracurricular activities involved (or, who knows, maybe because of them), I'm still able to solve these things. This one seemed a bit obvious, so I'm a bit suspicious of a pageant, but if there's another level I'm not seeing it.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
TPS

Post by TPS »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:25 pm it’s not like a meta is going to use some obscure band that had one album that no ones heard of.
Well PGW used a film from 25 years ago that was 39th in the box office that year as a meta just last week. And it wasn't like some cult classic or famous director/actor's breakout film. So you never know how obscure the reference might be.
TPS

Post by TPS »

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 pm On shore after a faux pas (now deleted).
I saw that :lol: :lol:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Putting seven theme entries in a grid is impressive 😮
🏝
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

On shore...good one, Matt!

Wasn't even born in the time of Woodstock. But I do listen and enjoy this band musics.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

So I didn't attend Woodstock but we did a 50th Anniversary Woodstock tribute at Utica's beautiful Stanley Theater last summer. This is one of the songs. My youngest brother is singing, middle brother is next to me and I'm (naturally) next to the ladies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFfo8F ... 1a&index=5
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm On shore, tried to make it a little harder than it was because there is yet another pattern I ma wondering if others saw? Anyway, I like my second choice (and first I submitted) better.

I drove past Woodstock area in 1969 on my way to the Catskills with my paramour of the time making the comment, "looks like it will be way too busy and it's only a concert, besides it might rain", seems like I was no smarter then than now.
Sounds like it could be a line out of “Small Circle of Friends”
Ah, but there were only two of us in the car! I was not a sharing person.....

Actually I never saw the film, looked it up when you mentioned it. I might have to look for it on Amazon, it seems like it is one of those that did not get good reviews but was a good film.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:01 pm I also have an "almost" answer that fits for the Monday discussion.
Me too, and it's a doozy, it was sooo close I almost ADMONITIONED it! I'll be interested to see if we had a similar AHA and thankfully the subsequent NaHa.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are in the sand with the Muggles. Floundered for a while (not the fish, just over thinking) but we got there........luck to all!!
ThirdCoastFiddler

Post by ThirdCoastFiddler »

Ashore⛱
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:22 pm
Dow Jones wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:27 pm Solved and Submitted. "Hill Street Blues" brings back great memories. I wish the series was in broadcast syndication.
What a fabulous, intelligent, entertaining series that was. As soon as I saw the clue, I could hear the theme music in my head.
The exterior shots for the opening were done at the police station at the University of Illinois--Chicago campus. I was hearing the theme music the whole time that we visited during Open House Chicago a year or two ago.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I only saw one path to an answer, so will be looking forward to the discussion to make sure I was on the correct path (pretty much 100% certain I am).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm Ok - I think I am onshore and if I am its funny because if my answer is right - it is one of only two bands I knew performed at Woodstock.
Ta Da! Glad you are on shore, you'd have been so mad if you missed it, particularly if you are doing, and solving, PGW ones. Heck I have a tough time solving the GRID on those.