"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Deleted
Last edited by boharr on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Maybe they'll do a Lollapalooza or Van's Warp Tour puzzle one day - that's more my era and shows I actually attended. I did attend Nirvana's last public show in the US.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

write/create one yourself, share it here, and we'll take a run at it!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 pm write/create one yourself, share it here, and we'll take a run at it!
I was going to try to do this with another theme I liked last weekend but I didn't really know how to go about doing it. Is there like some kind of software or website that facilitates it?
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 pm I doubt it - I usually get it the first night or not at all. Also, I'm way too young to know Woodstock bands. I also am very bad at metas with incredible difficult methodologies - I can get easy ones like the past two weeks week the answer is just literally staring you in the face. Ones that require another step I can never get.
I didn't get the last two weeks - though last week's I had a good first step and just never saw the STEVEs - but this one is easier. Don't overthink it. Your theme answers are marked, so no question there. Think about the puzzle's title. Then look up the Woodstock bands on Wikipedia. There's only one that fits.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Devilbunny wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 pm
I didn't get the last two weeks - though last week's I had a good first step and just never saw the STEVEs - but this one is easier. Don't overthink it. Your theme answers are marked, so no question there. Think about the puzzle's title. Then look up the Woodstock bands on Wikipedia. There's only one that fits.
I actually got it. (Well I'm 99% sure I did anyway). If I hadn't even looked at the puzzle I would have had a 50/50 chance of guessing it because it was one of only two bands I knew performed at Woodstock and only knew that because of my knowledge of a more notorious venue they played.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! (After doing a palm slap to my forehead last week when the meta was revealed) 🏖🥃
Konnie
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:19 pm Tom-As I’ll explain on Monday, only one answer fits.
There are at least two ways to get there, or verify, anyway. Monday awaits!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 pm
I actually got it. (Well I'm 99% sure I did anyway). If I hadn't even looked at the puzzle I would have had a 50/50 chance of guessing it because it was one of only two bands I knew performed at Woodstock and only knew that because of my knowledge of a more notorious venue they played.
I told you you would! :D
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 pm write/create one yourself, share it here, and we'll take a run at it!
I was going to try to do this with another theme I liked last weekend but I didn't really know how to go about doing it. Is there like some kind of software or website that facilitates it?
BrianMac has posted several times about tools for creating crosswords. Right now, this is the only one I can find:
forums/viewtopic.php?p=16139#p16152
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Ashore. I usually try to solve these without looking at the prompt, and spent a lot of time chasing rabbits, and then found it was much easier than I thought after actually reading everything. Took some minor assistance from Bing, but I guess I kind of had an idea they played at Woodstock (I'm not old enough to remember unfortunately...)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Joining the already overcrowded shore. Page 6 on a Thursday night?

I fired up the search engines to get to my answer. I know the band and owned some of their vinyl but at age 9 was just a smidge young for Woodstock.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Drysdale

Post by Drysdale »

Ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore. See if we can get to page 7 on Thursday.

I was working and had a family when Woodstock happened so I had other priorities
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 pm
I’m a total amateur but I enjoy playing with Crossword Compiler. I actually installed Windows on my Mac to run it.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Quick swim to shore. Saving my energy for week 4!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

On shore.

Off to have a grilled cheese sandwich (forgot the ham a couple of weeks ago). ;-)

Good health to you all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

RDaleHall wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 pm On shore. Pretty quick swim. And now for watching the NFL draft.... kind of sad that I’m anticipating it so much for a sports “fix”
Kind of like watching grass grow isn't it?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:08 pm
RDaleHall wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 pm On shore. Pretty quick swim. And now for watching the NFL draft.... kind of sad that I’m anticipating it so much for a sports “fix”
Kind of like watching grass grow isn't it?
We’re actually having a great time considering how boring it is... but we’re doing a zoom meeting watch party and not really watching it.