"Line of Work" - April 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Gag - The dog ate my homework. I thought I posted the Saturday status but it is gone to never, never land. So here we go again.

First a welcome to our newest muggles: tenniswood, g.antonelli, ReB, bigmeir1180, ThirdCoastFiddler and Geezer Weezer.

We have a good turnout with 5 on the ship and 116 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac company are:
LittleGood
ImOnToo
Tom S
Frenchy
and eagle1279

And on the shore are:
BrianMac with a near record time of 9 minutes
Begbie
Wendy
Al
joe
LesY
Frankie
ky-mike
Heidi
Blair
Beth A
DBMiller
Laura M
damefox
oldjudge
Tom Wilson
Cindy
Meg
Schmeel
Toby
Chris
TPS
David K
Tony S
Mike H
Billkatz
Steve B
Tina
Beth T
Tmart
MajordomoTom
Rita and George
tim1217
NuYear68
Nalugirl
Eric P
jeanrosz
ectoplasm
Richard
martin
SewYoung
Ed S
Scott M
Barbara K
edot
CallMeShane
FrankH
Trey and Marion
CPKdad
joes
Bill H
yourpalsal
Matthew B
markhr
Commodore
streroto
michaelm
ALS
tenniswood
g.antonelli
Diane
Alan H
Mark L
DrTom
boharr
kay
Homer
Kris
Geoduck
JPMalone
MileHighsolver
Glyn
anjhinz
flyingMoose
seans
John B
dplass
Big Mac
laurareidbooks
Moi
OGuyDave
RDallHall
geeteebee
gamera13
Lacangah
Julie O
ckurihara
ReB
Notbitter
ladybird
Sisoop
Natalie
Ann
Jackie88
UTHfan
memay131
bigmeir1180
joequavis
burak
ThirdCoastfiddler
Leslie
Jeremy
Debbie
Beth C
BrianD
Carla
Ann P
Dryusdale
Geezer Weezer
Maine Marge
Lucksta
Nlobb
LLinNC
horsesense
scooby
and Deb

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

bigmelr1180 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm I can't believe it! I'm on shore...FOR THE FIRST TIME! Damefox have been coaching me, but this is the first one I can take full credit for!!!!!! I'm now going to make my scotch and soda and feel like I've earned it!
Isn't that first one WONDERFUL! Now don't get me wrong, they are all delightful when you solve them, but that very first one...well, that's the cherry on the sundae! Welcome to Solverville, it is sometimes hard to social distance (there are so many) and other times you can hear the crickets. but it's a great place to be anytime.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

On shore! Cruised to a quick solve, just clicked for me. :P
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm I've been lurking on and off for a while--told myself I would join the group once I figured out one of the puzzles. I've either been totally clueless or had an inkling of an idea but didn't take it far enough. And finally, last night, it clicked. It clicked before I even finished the grid. So, I am on shore enjoying a gin and tonic with my toes digging into the snow--I mean sand! And next week I will probably be back to paddling the wrong direction out to sea.
Glad you have come out of the shadows, and glad you have that delightful Avatar. Not sure what it is except beautiful. is that something you took at your feeder? I don't believe I've ever seen that bird here in Florida.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

KayW wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:50 am
tim1217 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm Here's the Friday night musical interlude. We're going to step into the WayBack machine for this one. I watched QE-II in her recent (and rare non-Christmas) address when she made reference to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K07LKIs ... e=emb_logo

Enjoy and stay safe!
Great song but I always associate it with the closing scene of Dr. Strangelove. Well, that's ONE way to kill a virus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w
Right! Great movie. It's also the ending scene of The Shining. (Geez, I just got goosebumps typing this!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 pm
Glad you have come out of the shadows, and glad you have that delightful Avatar. Not sure what it is except beautiful. is that something you took at your feeder? I don't believe I've ever seen that bird here in Florida.
I wish that this was at our feeder! I took this picture when we were in Botswana. But you have some beautiful birds in Florida--the Painted Bunting is pretty spectacular.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Home Depot is hot - all the DIYers standing in line to get in. We're in the midst of garage makeover, including epoxy floor, so we are researching grinders. No anniversary. Just filling time with home projects to keep from going nuts.
Happy Anniversary!
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am
Cindy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 am
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Oh, you crazy romantic kids! :)
Next Friday is our anniversary. I think next weekend we are painting the garage door. I heard some romantic talk about renting an electric sander.
The guy at the hardware store and where we get our mulch delivered has said that his business is going great. Everyone is stuck at home and is getting the yard ready and house fixed up. I was planning on planting four more rose bushes today but it is snowing - 3 inches and counting
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 pm
Colin wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:26 pm For those of you who are ashore, and for those of you who need a break... Here's another ditty for you all. I caught wind of these four brothers from the Philippines last week and I've been listening to them nonstop since then. Here, they're doing my favorite song by my favorite band: The Beatles' "In My Life." Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpRzWk0saA
Very nice sound - thanks for sharing, Al. I love this song... our son is a musician / composer / producer / sound engineer trying to make his way in the crazy music industry. He played In My Life at our daughter’s wedding - that was a three-Kleenex event! Excuse the plug, here is a good place to shuffle his tunes... https://open.spotify.com/artist/4f2Ufl1 ... EhfmGgtoRg

While he is living my dream, I am stuck here with Isaac. There are, however, much worst places to be. Let’s see if that song is on the juke box...
That was our father-daughter dance at my daughter's wedding too. How'd you get away with only three kleenexes? I might've wiped out the shelves before the COVIDiots did...
My daughter and I danced to Blackbird at her wedding a couple of years ago....she had fond memories of me finger-picking it on my acoustic quite often while she was growing up, and now she plays it better than I do. All this Beatles music is great - thanks for posting it!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 pm
Colin wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 pm

Very nice sound - thanks for sharing, Al. I love this song... our son is a musician / composer / producer / sound engineer trying to make his way in the crazy music industry. He played In My Life at our daughter’s wedding - that was a three-Kleenex event! Excuse the plug, here is a good place to shuffle his tunes... https://open.spotify.com/artist/4f2Ufl1 ... EhfmGgtoRg

While he is living my dream, I am stuck here with Isaac. There are, however, much worst places to be. Let’s see if that song is on the juke box...
That was our father-daughter dance at my daughter's wedding too. How'd you get away with only three kleenexes? I might've wiped out the shelves before the COVIDiots did...
My daughter and I danced to Blackbird at her wedding a couple of years ago....she had fond memories of me finger-picking it on my acoustic quite often while she was growing up, and now she plays it better than I do. All this Beatles music is great - thanks for posting it!
My cousin and his wife played/sang "I Will" at one of my weddings (yeah, multiple weddings... just worked out that way; it's not like I was trying to work my way through the Beatles' catalogue).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:49 pm
I wish that this was at our feeder! I took this picture when we were in Botswana. But you have some beautiful birds in Florida--the Painted Bunting is pretty spectacular.
Agree and I've seen a few of those, along with some bluebirds, but have never been able to capture their image. We have a downy and a red bellied woodpecker that show up but of course always when I do not have a camera or phone. We used to have two pileated woodpeckers that would literally wake you up but then we got rid of our large pines (too much of a lightning danger) and have not seen them since.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Count me on shore!
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore, came a little easier compared to the past few weeks.
rolias

Post by rolias »

Solved On Saturday when I had a 43 across (Saturday puzzle) moment hit me out of nowhere.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:12 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:49 pm
Agree and I've seen a few of those, along with some bluebirds, but have never been able to capture their image. We have a downy and a red bellied woodpecker that show up but of course always when I do not have a camera or phone. We used to have two pileated woodpeckers that would literally wake you up but then we got rid of our large pines (too much of a lightning danger) and have not seen them since.
I think they might've moved into mine.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore for my first cruise with the Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Annabelle wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:35 pm On shore for my first cruise with the Muggles!
Congratulations and welcome to the clan.

(by the way, it is your round at the Tiki Bar)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I am still on the ship, continuing my Coronavirus slump, or maybe it's the rabbit flu--I've been plagued by too many that lead nowhere. I would love to put forth my different ideas to someone and see if any of them are worth pursuing more. PM me if you are interested. Thanks!
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Took me WAYYY too long to get this, but think I'm finally on shore. One quibble.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:08 am

Next Friday is our anniversary. I think next weekend we are painting the garage door. I heard some romantic talk about renting an electric sander.
Next Friday is our anniversary, too! We've already finished spreading the mulch; this weekend's romantic task involves refinishing the breakfast nook table. Next weekend's "celebration" will probably center around the makeover of my master closet. What passionate fools we are!
Strange twist of events. No garage door painting for us. The twenty five year old door died a swift death today. Hopefully not from covid 19. We are getting a new one for our anniversary.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am

The guy at the hardware store and where we get our mulch delivered has said that his business is going great. Everyone is stuck at home and is getting the yard ready and house fixed up. I was planning on planting four more rose bushes today but it is snowing - 3 inches and counting
No painting now. The door died today. We’re getting a new one. What an anniversary gift!