"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

REMINDER:

The archive of past WSJ Crossword Contests have the text of puzzle titles and meta answers near their images.

Past puzzles & answers are SEARCHABLE using the Search this topic... feature:

Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions SEARCH.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

FINALLY got this one, just needed to put it away for a while and look at it with fresh eyes apparently... what a relief!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 pm Rats - I keep reading about how the light is coming on for all my Muggle friends and I am not even seeing a glimmer. My one big idea, unless I am implementing it incorrectly, yields a word in Klingon.
Well, the instructions just said an 11 letter answer, they didn't specify that those letters would spell something meaningful in English. Maybe I'm wrong and it really is KGHTUUVNSPT.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow, a year here! Happy birthday, blog!

And this has turned out so much better than I expected. Besides fixing the big issue of non-subscriber comments and the 2-day (now 4-day) time limit, we've got separate threads for all the different puzzles, reply notifications on anything we're interested in, private messages, screen names, ability to post pictures - all things that WSJ doesn't need or want for news articles but are so great for us.

A giant thank you to Brian for stepping up and creating all this plus keeping it running. I hope it hasn't been too much more work than you thought it would be.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

After hearing about the WSJ meta puzzles about 8 months ago and lurking here for a few months, I joined the group last week when humbled by Matt Gaffney and was looking for a nudge in the right direction. I got the nudge (thank you!) but it was not quite enough for me, and I decided to just wait it out till the answer was posted.
This week I'm happy to say I'm ashore.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Well, the instructions just said an 11 letter answer, they didn't specify that those letters would spell something meaningful in English. Maybe I'm wrong and it really is KGHTUUVNSPT.
Funny! My early rabbit hole also yielded an 11-letter answer: DELSASCIELL

I wonder if anyone else got to this. The method was ... creative. It was good to find the true path.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Schmeel wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:45 pm After hearing about the WSJ meta puzzles about 8 months ago and lurking here for a few months, I joined the group last week when humbled by Matt Gaffney and was looking for a nudge in the right direction. I got the nudge (thank you!) but it was not quite enough for me, and I decided to just wait it out till the answer was posted.
Well I'm darned impressed because I "kinda" got last weeks but in NO WAY am I even close on this weeks.

By the way, do you have a friend Schmozzle and do you work for Hassenpheffer Incorporated?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Jabberwocky

it's 11 letter, I claim no pride of authorship.

Lewis Carroll - it's 12 letters long, but enjoy.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm
Schmeel wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:45 pm After hearing about the WSJ meta puzzles about 8 months ago and lurking here for a few months, I joined the group last week when humbled by Matt Gaffney and was looking for a nudge in the right direction. I got the nudge (thank you!) but it was not quite enough for me, and I decided to just wait it out till the answer was posted.
Well I'm darned impressed because I "kinda" got last weeks but in NO WAY am I even close on this weeks.

By the way, do you have a friend Schmozzle and do you work for Hassenpheffer Incorporated?
Sadly no, but I do remember Laverne and Shirley fondly.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

While I am not to happy about being on a cruise ship at this time; here I am with Isaac. Still have a day to get to the beach.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I feel better about still being on the ship considering the good company I'm with (with which I am?).
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

tonyrobots wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm Another gunner here, Colin!

And Iโ€™ve managed to extract 11 letters from the puzzle in a reasonable way, but they in no way resemble an answer of any kind. Either I am on the right track or knee deep in a rabbit hole, we shall see....
Oh, was that you I saw in the same rabbit hole?!?!
Meg

Post by Meg »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm
Meg wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:50 pm
It used to be that anybody could comment on the WSJ site. The change is that now only subscribers can post comments. Personally, I am ever so thankful that the WSJ allows me, a non-subscriber, to print out the puzzle. Just mentioning it scares me a little.
Hey Meg - I graduated from law school in St. Pete and most of my mother's family still lives there.

I think it's great they let people print the puzzle and fill it out online. I think it probably has to do with awarding a cup - there are very strict laws in place about running contests and sweepstakes and not having it being considered gambling. That is why most contests state "no purchase necessary" once you have to buy something that is a "bet".
Thanks, TPS. I never thought of the legality involved. I assume you went to Stetson Law School. Quite famous around here. And of course you know the prize is a mug, not a cup. Otherwise we would call ourselves "cupples"!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

[/quote]

Iโ€™m 50 years a Gunner, but I agree with you Tim, LFC has the best anthem of all... makes the hairs on my neck stand up every time. I really hope you get the Championship - it was already in the bag in my book.
Right! After that effort at uniting the fans, itโ€™s back to the meta. About as much chance of getting that as seeing Arsenal finish above 10th! Double G&T please Isaac.
[/quote]

Forget the tonic Isaac, just give me a glass, a small bucket of ice and a bottle of Beefeaters! I am totally brain dead on this meta!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:29 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 pm As a quick note, it was just about TWO years ago that the WSJ changed its policy and Brian started this blog."
ONE year, sire!

EDIT: This is a 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' reference: King Arthur repeatedly said FIVE when he meant THREE.
To be more accurate...

"Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
Last edited by MarkL on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
Skip a bit, Brother Maynard...
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

With a little nudge from where I was and thinking like the Oceans 11/12/13 marathon we are in got me to the beach.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Repeat pseudo-nudge from last week ...

'Slow is smooth, smooth is slow.'

Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

We love lurkers especially when they become muggles. Welcome to the group and to the shore. Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director