"What Not To Do" - March 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
Thanks, Muggles, for being a virtual community of welcome and needed distraction during this stressful time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm I am onshore - I wouldn't exactly say I got there on my own - more like I was dragged than nudged. There are 2 clues that are borderline unfair IMO. In a sense the answer was perfect for my experience with this.
Just think. In another year you will be a grizzled veteran helping out some poor innocent new muggle.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Got a late start, but quickly done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore but with way too much help. Won't even bother submitting this week. Of course that's easy for me to say since I already possess a coveted mug.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm
KayW wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm LAS. I'm fighting for a 113 sqft circle (pi * 6 ** 2) on the life raft with the others who see something but don't know what to do with it. Maybe BrianMac can lend me his social-distance donut. Preferably glazed, like my eyes.

Time to set this aside and let my subconscious work on it a bit.
Kay, you are so awesome to donate platelets! I have seen the amazing impact that they can have on cancer patients. Hope you get the meta; it's a fun one!
Thanks Wendy. I hope I get it too! The weekend is young even if I am not...

I've been donating platelets for a LOOOONG time, tho I had to take a break for several years when life got crazy. My late husband had a condition that required many blood product infusions so I too have seen how much they can help. I'd been meaning to get back to donating but it took this pandemic - plus some inspiration from a fellow muggle - to get me off my butt and doing it. Or maybe I should say ON my butt and doing it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I have an answer, but just don't feel very sure about it. I think I'm headed to have a drink with Isaac and ponder the mysteries of this puzzle and life in general.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Safe ashore this week pretty quick this week. Fun puzzle!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Still ruminating on this one as well as MGWCC. PGWCC came easy to me this week.
spotter

Post by spotter »

SusieG wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:18 pm I am also on the boat. In my cabin, of course. For some reason I am stuck on a method that seems to make so much sense to me, but it only gives me five letters. How do you get un-stuck from flawed thinking and move forward with something else? (Sounds like OCD.)

I also use Excel after I solve it online (if I don't pick it up immediately). Not sure it helps me. I don't paste a jpg in, I just have my column width set to 2.73, row height of 18 and use Calibri 11 font. Have it set for conditional formatting so blank cells are black. Honestly, I don't know how much the Excel helps me. I tend to either figure it out quickly or spend the weekend making myself crazy and never get it. I may be on track for the latter.
I was stuck on a method or idea and thought I had to move on, but eventually looked at that same thing in a slightly different way and was presented with the answer...
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

not a fan of this one so far, this guy's style feels basic to me.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

get one of his books, you'll feel otherwise pretty quickly
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Stumped at Isaac's bar.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm get one of his books, you'll feel otherwise pretty quickly
Are they worth it? Once this social distancing ends I am taking a long train trip and was thinking of getting one of his books to do on the way.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:21 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm get one of his books, you'll feel otherwise pretty quickly
Are they worth it? Once this social distancing ends I am taking a long train trip and was thinking of getting one of his books to do on the way.
Well worth it.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Still hanging with Isaac for now, but about to make my way to a different (virtual) bar for happy hour with some (non-virtual) family and friends. I’ll take a (non-virtual) Breckenridge Nitro Irish Stout for the (virtual) road, please.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Painfully solved.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still on the boat......
Cynthia
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

I'm onshore. Well maybe about 75% onshore.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I think I know the answer, but the way I got there is so sketchy I can't submit it. To be looked at again later.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have an answer as well. Not happy with it. I’ll have a chat with Isaac (six feet away of course) before I submit. Count me in limbo Bob!
Heidi