Boxed Set 3/21/2020 Puzzle

Enter if you dare!
SewYoung

Boxed Set 3/21/2020 Puzzle

Post by SewYoung »

If anyone out there is doing today's WSJ Cryptic...… I Finally got the right idea and have finished all but 5D and 26D If anyone has a hint for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Hi Lisa, for 5D "tricky play" is the definition. Football-related.

For 26D, "circle" is the definition. "In" is positional wordplay.
Meg

Post by Meg »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:59 pm If anyone out there is doing today's WSJ Cryptic...… I Finally got the right idea and have finished all but 5D and 26D If anyone has a hint for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
I finished it this morning.
5d. Football term (I think). Otherwise is anagram indicator.
26 d. Def is last word (verb). A few single letters
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Meg wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 pm
SewYoung wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:59 pm If anyone out there is doing today's WSJ Cryptic...… I Finally got the right idea and have finished all but 5D and 26D If anyone has a hint for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Meg and Les. I will ponder on those hints and see if I can come up with the answers. Sadly, I am not well versed in football terminology. I will do a little research.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:41 pm
Thank you Meg and Les. I will ponder on those hints and see if I can come up with the answers. Sadly, I am not well versed in football terminology. I will do a little research.
Thanks, y'all. Took me just a few seconds to find the right football term, but then though I had messed up somewhere else (I hadn't) because I kept trying to put the multiple letters in the wrong square. When I got that out of my head, I got it right away. Also, kicking myself on 26D. Finally got it.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thanks all for the tips on 5d.The 3 possibly ambiguous crossings were really hex-ing me! Plus I had not heard that term before.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:15 pm
SewYoung wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks, y'all. Took me just a few seconds to find the right football term, but then though I had messed up somewhere else (I hadn't) because I kept trying to put the multiple letters in the wrong square. When I got that out of my head, I got it right away. Also, kicking myself on 26D. Finally got it.
I had the exact same experience with 26D.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I just finished this one.. so satisfying. I usually have a hard time with cryptic puzzles. I thought the theme of this one made it easier to solve.