"Continuing Education" - February 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Fun, challenging (for me) puzzle. On shore after swim through icy waters, though I might never say icy again.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On shore. I hope. I'm with the crowd with trepidation, but reasonably certain.
Heidi
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Enjoyed it!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore. The answer I came up with is a college founder, and I’m satisfied it is correct. 🙋‍♀️
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

That was fun—because I got it! Been traveling on the west coast for a couple of weeks, having to do the puzzle on my phone. (For some reason, iPad is not letting me—boo.) As a result, the already tough puzzles were made even more difficult. Having said that, I doubt I would have come any closer to solving the metas so it’s no matter. Nice to be on the beach with everyone after weeks with Isaac. Have a great weekend.
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

On shore, glad to see I'll have a big group of trepidators (?) to have a crisp, refreshing Busch Light with.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

My first week in the group. It seems pretty easy after solving the grid (believe I share the same trepidation as the others). I will hang with Isaac until I look it over again tomorrow. Good luck all!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore. Fun grid and meta.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Second post from this long-time lurker. Happily ashore and waiting for the second snow event in as many days up here in New Hampshire!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Grid was tougher for me than it should have been. I definitely see one red herring, but on further reflection I can see how it's different. I've got my answer, although I do sense the possibility of a PAGEANT. I'm on a shore; I hope that it is the right one.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 pm On shore. The answer I came up with is a college founder, and I’m satisfied it is correct. 🙋‍♀️
and this is why Rita and I are unsure of the answer, given the clues in the puzzle. We're sitting on this overnight to see if we see an additional piece that will solidify what we think this is..... this could be a really tricky one (what does it mean to be a college founder?)

Rita and George
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I liked this one - on shore
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. But it is dark here, so can't be sure what exactly I am standing on. Unless I am missing something, I am not sure I like the steps leading to the answer, so that is where my trepidation lies.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I think I have solved it, I am guessing Mike threw us a life preserver this week because I was getting a serious drinking problem staying aboard for so long the last few weeks. I am 99% sure, though got led astray early on trying to do the "Shenk Two Step" and finally reasoned it out. I may enjoy a cocktail aboard before I head to shore because where I am the wind is blowing and the rain is falling.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I'm on some kind of shore. Maybe it's even the correct shore? Anyway, I gave it the old college try - hope I didn't get schooled!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Just returned to crosswording four weeks ago after years away, and the first Friday puzzle was doable. Felt like, “I still got it!” Then the last two weeks entirely defeated me. So happy to be ashore this week, and in record time!
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Joining the trepidators on a shore, if not the correct one. Isn't there a history of at times having an expansive definition of the correct answer in cases such as this?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

yourpalsal wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 am Just returned to crosswording four weeks ago after years away, and the first Friday puzzle was doable. Felt like, “I still got it!” Then the last two weeks entirely defeated me. So happy to be ashore this week, and in record time!
Welcome to the clan. Good luck in getting all the metas and winning the elusive mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SusieG wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:04 pm My first week in the group. It seems pretty easy after solving the grid (believe I share the same trepidation as the others). I will hang with Isaac until I look it over again tomorrow. Good luck all!
Welcome to the clan. Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved, I think