Rows Garden — WSJ — Mar 29

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
ChrisKochmanski

Rows Garden — WSJ — Mar 29

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

As always, a fun Patrick Berry concoction. Though I must say, by doing as many as three “Hardest” and “Thorny” Rows Gardens from Michael Blake, Joon Pahk, and Andrew Ries each Tuesday, PB’s WSJ RGs are starting to seem easy. After a while, you get better — dare I say good? — at these things. But PB’s WSJ RGs seem just right for the puzzler who does only the occasional RG.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I agree Chris, another fine PB puzzle. I broke away from my mold of working from the bottom of the grid to working the Rows first, from top to bottom. Filled in quite a few right off the bat and used that for the various blooms.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Got it all except the last answer to Line K

And the two medium blooms that attach to that
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 pm As always, a fun Patrick Berry concoction. Though I must say, by doing as many as three “Hardest” and “Thorny” Rows Gardens from Michael Blake, Joon Pahk, and Andrew Ries each Tuesday, PB’s WSJ RGs are starting to seem easy. After a while, you get better — dare I say good? — at these things. But PB’s WSJ RGs seem just right for the puzzler who does only the occasional RG.
Haven't done this one yet but I agree.

I really like how the 3 paid RGs definitely have a unique voice. I'm amazed how often Joon and I are on the same wavelength with some of his more off-the-wall clues, I love how Michael tends to do some interesting gimmicks like the Marching Bands or the 6s-7s puzzles and supersizes, and Andrew is a master of the form.

Edit: did it, loved the last row. That's still my favorite TV ending of all time.