"Just My Type" - January 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore at last, after spending the evening with a lonely Isaac. As seems to happen lately, it took giving my brain a chance to sleep on it overnight to see what everyone else seems to be spotting immediately. Along the way I saw something that might be considered a red herring but more on that post-deadline.

Let me join the growing chorus - mega thanks to Joe Ross and Brian Mac for all the work setting up the Past WSJ Crossword Contests and Solutions page. As I've said early and often, I think two of the best strategies when stuck on a meta are 1) read the extremely helpful Hints for Solving Meta Contests page and 2) look at previous metas for their solutions. Option 2 was always very cumbersome for me, but I never took the initiative to do anything about it. Kudos Joe!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Commodore At Beach.jpg
AHA! (and after last week... AAH!)
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore.

Totally agree with those who think the grid was hard. Not up on my Tanzanian border lakes or my deValeras.

Amazing how popular this has become. 930 Eastern time Friday and over 80 comments already. Congrats Bob Stevens and thanks again for all you do.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Forgot it was Thursday. But on shore quickly this morning. Agree, tougher grid than usual, but a fun, and not so obvious, meta.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Redeemed after missing the shore party last week. Count me on solid ground, Captain!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Inca

Post by Inca »

burak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:59 pm Well, that was fast.

I think this is a great puzzle for novice muggles. Not one-star easy, but a good teaching experience. Preemptive welcome aboard to those who might join us this week!
Do you do other metas besides the WSJ?
Patty

Post by Patty »

Ashore and starting a new streak after last week’s miss.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore - sleep and a little coffee made the difference :-).

Have a good weekend - all the best in your respective quests for the 'grid grail.'
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it. Was 100 percent sure of the answer until coming here... :)
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

On shore! "Just my type" of puzzle: challenging grid, creative and fun meta!

Still perfect in 2020! I'm starting to miss Isaac, though.

Many, many thanks to Joe (and Brian) for pulling together the past contest puzzles and solutions. As a relative newbie to these puzzles, I'm really looking forward to checking them out!
Last edited by bobbydeee on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Just my type of meta (grid was far more challenging IMHO) - ashore.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Once I saw that it is a Mike Shenk puzzle the meta came fast. On shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning. Our noon report a little early.

The shuttle to shore has been pretty busy since the contest came out. So far the beach has 74 basking muggles on it.

And Isaac has 5 customers, most of which have the (or a) solution and are cogitating over their favorite libation.

And we welcome martin our latest muggle. Martin is one at the bar with Isaac making sure he goes to the right beach

Finally many thanks to Joe Ross for compiling the past puzzles. They are a tremendous resource for both new muggles and to remind the rest of us of some of Mike and Matt and their friends nefarious tricks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I have the answer, but I have a couple of questions and a comment that would clearly be spoilers, so i'll have to wait to ask the group until Monday...
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

On shore after a whiff last week.
FISHMAGIK

Post by FISHMAGIK »

This is my first time doing the WSJ crossword. I am LOST as to what they are looking for (but my puzzle is complete).

Anybody give me a hint?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FISHMAGIK wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm This is my first time doing the WSJ crossword. I am LOST as to what they are looking for (but my puzzle is complete).

Anybody give me a hint?
Fish
First welcome to the group. The WSJ has normal crossword puzzles Monday through Thursday and Saturday but on Friday they have a puzzle within ght puzzle. What you do is solve the crossword as normal and then try and find the contest answer which we call the meta. This blog has on it a wealth of information as to how to attack the metas. The only rule is that there is no consistent process which make it a challenge and fun.

Under the Board Index tab there is a section called Come Aboard and in that there are several tabs.

The FAQ Community has a series of topics which include background on many of the comments that you will see here. Relative to solving the metas, there are three topics that will help. The first is Hints for Solving Meta Contests where many muggles have put suggestions and hints for how to attack these. The second is Joe Ross's guide to solving the WSJ meta with Excel and the third is Past WSJ Crossword Contests and Solutions.

All of us will tell you that there is a learning curve that we all go through. The title of the puzzle is always a guide and the answer to the contest under the puzzle grid tells you what you are looking for "a four letter singular noun" for this week. What you are trying to find is a logical path to get to the answer. The path will always be obscure but logical when you see the answer.

The answer to the contest is given in the WSJ (both on line and in print) on Monday under the puzzle. Also after midnight Sunday muggles will comment here with the solution but also the logic that they got. There are also web sites like crosswordfiend.com which will give the solution and method of getting there.

Good luck and don't get frustrated because once you get the hang of what is happening they are fun and it is amazing how diverse the creators can be from week to week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

I have an answer that seems to fit and a very justifiable process to get there, but does not feel exactly right to me. Going to sit with it a while before I submit. Besides - Isaac could use some company!
FISHMAGIK

Post by FISHMAGIK »

Thank you so much, Bob. Have a great weekend.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm so lost on this. I need to give it a rest for a bit. I've found quite a few rabbit holes now, but nothing has brought me to a four letter noun still. Stuck on the boat with Isaac for now.