"Just My Type" - January 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Missing the warm breeze and peaceful sounds of the early morning at the Outer Banks. This will have to do for now. On shore.
-Doug Morack
docison

Post by docison »

Been forgetting to post when on shore in recent weeks, but I'm on shore.

Let's go with a shot of tequila tonight!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore. (Either that or someone has a lot of ‘splainin’ to do 😜.) I’ve been busy selling my old house and buying a new one, so I’m glad to have this out of the way. (Last week, I was cleaning non-stop and barely had time to finish the puzzle.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm - I have an answer that fits the title and the requirements, but it is so obvious and came so quickly that I am sitting here gun-shy. I am trying to choose between two equally possible scenarios:

1. Mike felt bad about all of the angst from last week and threw us a bone

2. Mike figured we would think he might do that so he gave us a very plausible route to the wrong answer

Of course there is REAL conspiracy theory...

3. Mike figured we would think he might do that so he gave us a very plausible route to an answer we felt could not be the answer and then it actually is the answer and we make ourselves nuts trying to find what we think the real answer is

4. Mike figured we would think he might do that so he gave us a very plausible route to an answer we felt could not be the answer and then we think WAIT it might just be the answer but....anyway, this could go on forever.

Regardless I believe I'll wait a bit and see if there is anything else I might see that makes more sense or is a level of difficulty higher.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

On shore!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Ashore, awaiting Dom.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore and enjoying an IPA.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

pddigi wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:29 pm Ashore, awaiting Dom.
Dom is ashore.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
juliet

Post by juliet »

After moving slowly through the grid, I happily followed a few rabbits before settling down to business and the logical meta answer soon appeared. I've enjoyed this week's puzzle and would like to savor it a while longer, so will be joining Dr. Tom in the bar.
burak

Post by burak »

Well, that was fast.

I think this is a great puzzle for novice muggles. Not one-star easy, but a good teaching experience. Preemptive welcome aboard to those who might join us this week!
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

Ashore.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I've made it to shore - in time to clear the mind for the week 4 MGWCC coming tomorrow.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. Bypassed Isaac this week. Cute though not much of a challenge. Harder than usual to do on the phone!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore after chasing only one red herring. It was fine.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm I am safely on shore. Started this one early after going down to the wire last week. :)
Patty wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:22 pmWow! Many thanks to Joe Ross and Brian Mac for this!😊
Thanks go to Joe. 100% his idea, initiative and effort!
Brian, Bob - your cruise director, BarbaraK, and KayW gave inspiration, good counsel, help in securing permission from Mike Miller to publish, instructions on how to post, & site permissions. They all deserve thanks, including Mike!

There are 53 months of past puzzles (+-/230), of which 16 months (30%) are posted. Puzzles from March 2019, then previous, will be posted, next.

As for this week's, I have finished the grid & will be working on the meta, this morning. Isaac, a pineapple malt, please!
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore, but Martin does have a good point. So maybe I'm on the wrong shore.

ALS
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. We found our way to a very nice beach and there's a great party going on so even if it turns out to be the wrong beach we're happy to be here.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

juliet wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 pm After moving slowly through the grid, I happily followed a few rabbits before settling down to business and the logical meta answer soon appeared. I've enjoyed this week's puzzle and would like to savor it a while longer, so will be joining Dr. Tom in the bar.
Great Juliet, I'm buying! If we are right we can celebrate with a hoppy ale (what better after chasing rabbits) and if we are wrong, well bitters of course.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:01 am
BrianMac wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm I am safely on shore. Started this one early after going down to the wire last week. :)
Patty wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:22 pmWow! Many thanks to Joe Ross and Brian Mac for this!😊
Thanks go to Joe. 100% his idea, initiative and effort!
Brian, Bob - your cruise director, BarbaraK, and KayW gave inspiration, good counsel, help in securing permission from Matt Miller to publish, instructions on how to post, & site permissions. They all deserve thanks, including Matt!

There are 53 months of past puzzles (+-/230), of which 16 months (30%) are posted. Puzzles from March 2019, then previous, will be posted, next.

As for this week's, I have finished the grid & will be working on the meta, this morning. Isaac, a pineapple malt, please!
All you guys Yoda best!
yoda.jpg