MGWCC #824 — “It Takes One”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I only started on this one yesterday, but didn't get the answer. I was totally lost and decided to start reading the column on Diary of a Crossword Fiend because the posters tend to lay out their process without an immediate reveal. I garnered enough that I felt I had an 'in', and didn't even realize until later that Joon hadn't solved it himself.

With that nudge forward I started looking for 'ear', 'arm', 'eye', 'hand', and 'leg' in the puzzle. And I found three of them in the clues: 'ear' in 62D EARRING TYPE, 'eye' in 2D EYE PART, and 'leg' in 56D "THE LEGENDARY ____ DEAD" (MANGA SERIES). One is happenstance, two may be a coincidence, but if you find three out of five implied body parts in the puzzle, that must be the way forward, right? Nope! I assumed I was blind and kept searching for 'hand' and 'arm' hidden in the clues, even split between words.

Then I tried working backwards. I had S_U_H from the answers to those three clues in order of the themers. AHA, so we have SHUSH! And you use one finger to shush someone! No problem, now I just have to find two more grid answers starting with H and S and work backwards, even if I had the wrong body parts before, right? Wrong!

I finally peeked at the rest of the Crossword Fiend column and realized I should have looked in the grid. Oh, well. I was timed out anyway by the time I got going on this.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Got no sharp elbows despite totally forgetting what day of the week it is, again...
ItTakesOne.png
-Tamara
oggy

Post by oggy »

This alt answer isn't as elegant, but thought it was funny:

Code: Select all

L[EAVESDROP]PINGS -> N[EAR]
DEA[THROW]RECORDS -> UNH[ARM]ED
HOSTESST[WINK]IES -> DR[EYE]R
WILL[SHAKE]SPEARE -> E[LEG]Y
THESCOTTISHO[PEN] -> G[HAND]I

NUDEG -> anagram -> NUDGE