Central Casting

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Thanks for the puzzle!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On Day One, thirty-three people rose from the Central Casting couch and joined the ranks of the solvers.
Solvers.jpg
Maybe an early nudge will bring in a few others.

The title and the “sounds like a middle school subject” part of the prompt seem unrelated — we’re not looking for 13-year old actor. But they both have words that refer to a key thematic element

More nudges (and more solvers) tomorrow.
Jay
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Off the sofa
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Dragged off the couch. Well done, Jay!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OTC!

I needed a further nudge from a friendly Muggle, but in my defense, we’re traveling, and I’m having trouble focusing on puzzles.

Very much liked this one. You go, Jay!
rjy

Post by rjy »

OTC! Busy week (already!) but glad I eschewed nudges … this was really terrific, Jay, creative with clean execution! Fun to wrestle with this to the final aha!
Ray
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since yesterday’s head count, another seven solvers have checked in.

34. Alvibu67
35. Bob cruise director
36. SJMcK
37. KayW
38. ChrisKochmanski
39. rjy
40. Philip Chow

More will arrive, I hope. As soneone said, “If you nudge them, they will come.”

The theme entries themselves don’t matter. But their clues do.

As in many metas, these are cover-two clues. Each can apply to another entry in the grid, but . . .

. .. only after that entry has been slightly altered. It requires the addition of the common idea mentioned in Nudge 1.

When you find those alternative entries and proceed in the usual way, you will get gibberish. Again, you have to apply the common idea.

Or you could just go to the Internet and look up the date of the puzzle (it’s repeated in the intro) and find that it is designated as a special day.
Jay
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

OTC.

I needed nudge 2, but straightforward solve after that. Nicely constructed. Excellent meta, Jay. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally got it! I immediately dived deep into a rabbit hole that I was sure had to be the starting point. Yesterday's nudge made me think I was on the right track. But today's first nudge totally wiped that out and got me reoriented in the correct direction.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:02 am Or you could just go to the Internet and look up the date of the puzzle (it’s repeated in the intro) and find that it is designated as a special day.But "pound cake" doesn't sound like any school subject or actor! :) Amazing how many special days there are every day
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved! Needed nudges 1-3. Thanks, Jay!
Cynthia
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:34 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:02 am Or you could just go to the Internet and look up the date of the puzzle (it’s repeated in the intro) and find that it is designated as a special day.But "pound cake" doesn't sound like any school subject or actor! :) Amazing how many special days there are every day
I was going to use that joke in the reveal. Now I'll have to come up with something else.
Jay
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

A stellar construction, Jay.
I'm ashamed to admit that I needed more nudges than I'd like,
but every step of the way was fair and pleasantly surprising.
Thanks!!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

OTC.
Well done, Jay. I needed the nudges, but really just the first 2. I looked up nudge 6, but it didn't help, so I got to the answer the intended way.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I needed one nudge - the second one - but until then I was clueless.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally got back to this one, Jay - very enjoyable and not just because of my brush with greatness at 74A
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MarkWoychick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:05 pm Finally got back to this one, Jay - very enjoyable and not just because of my brush with greatness at 74A
I'll keep using that clue as long as I keep using that word. And as long as I don't have to pay royalties.
Jay
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Solved just before Matt’s puzzle came out today. Great construction! It really did take me the four days on and off to get it.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Another 22 solvers since last count brings the final tally to 62.
Solvers 2.jpg
This puzzle was ready to go several weeks ago, but @Abide, the alert MMM editor, somehow knew that March 4 was National Grammar Day. So the puzzle was posted on March 4. The answer is KELSEY GRAMMER.

The key to the metanism was MIDDLE. Each of the starred clues could be applied to another entry in the grid if that entry were preceded with MIDDLE. For example, “George Eliot novel” clues SILAS MARNER. But, as many solvers noticed, the entry at 13 Down, MARCH, if preceded by MIDDLE also became a George Eliot novel, Middlemarch.

In most puzzles, you would take the initial letters of these alternate entries. But for this puzzle, you had to take the middle letter.
Solution a 500.jpg
Solution 500.jpg
Thanks to all for solving or at least trying and for the kind comments. Also, an interesting fact that I did not know how to work into the puzzle or even the nudges: Kelsey Grammer starred in a film called “Middle Men.”
Jay
Abide

Post by Abide »

Looking at this solution grid 3-4 months after Jay first proposed this idea, it still amazes me at how Jay polished a chunk of coal into this diamond.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald