"Round Five" February 23, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is ARCHERY. The five theme answers are circular objects associated with a certain color: a PAPER PLATE is typically white, a HOCKEY PUCK is black, a TWO-BALL in pool is blue, PLANET MARS is red and a LEMON SLICE is yellow. Going from largest to smallest (as suggested by the first and last theme clues), these circles, laid concentrically, form an archery target.

This was another tricky one! We had 848 entries, with about 63% on the bullseye, below our usual level around 45%. Other guesses included GOLF (34, plus another 14 for DISC GOLF or FRISBEE GOLF), RUGBY (20, any ideas why?), PENTATHLON (19), RINGS (18), GYMNASTICS (6) and TABLE TENNIS (5).

Congrats to this week's winner, Tyler Hinman of San Francisco (fittingly for this contest, an Olympic-level crossword champion himself).
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:54 pm RUGBY (20, any ideas why?),
That was one of my potential Hail Mary's--mainly because it had 5 letters (to go with the 5 themers).
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:37 pm Mr. Rabbit,

First of all thank you for your invaluable service on these pages. I have yet to compliment you on your lifting our spirits when we go astray.

Having said that, where oh where is the love for THE absolute best take on Robin Hood -- "Men in Tights"? The debut of Dave Chappelle amongst a star studded cast! Isaac Hayes playing his dear ol' dad and Sir Patrick Stewart as good King Richard!
Tom, your Rabbit greatly appreciates the compliment.
Secondly, "Men in Tights" was #12 on the list.
It deserves a higher ranking in my opinion, but that's just me.
chatger

Post by chatger »

LadyBird wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:14 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:54 pm RUGBY (20, any ideas why?),
That was one of my potential Hail Mary's--mainly because it had 5 letters (to go with the 5 themers).
Same here. The 5 Olympic rings are R - red; ? - black/blue, G - green; B - blue/black; Y - yellow = R?GBY, but the largest-smallest did not make sense. A stretch that the White paper place starts with "double U"... anyway... a bit of a rabbit hole. Then A-HA happened...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:54 pm RUGBY (20, any ideas why?)
There were pretty clearly 5 theme entries, and on the list I found, rugby was the only 5 letter sport.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
CCubed

Post by CCubed »

I submitted SKEET and although I know you don’t shoot at a paper target in skeet shooting, it was the only shooting event I could find within the crossword and being new to this I have never seen an answer to a contest that wasn’t spelled out somewhere within the puzzle. I understood the ring colors for the target… considered ARCHERY, but could not find it in the puzzle in any logical order, but I did find SKEET. See image. This was so frustrating. Couldn’t the answer been SHOOTING as well? They use the same pattern target, I thought. Plus the two ball being in the middle of the puzzle I thought it was plausible to use the first letter of that clue and the last letters of the others. Oh well. Oh, and how do you get on the zoom call, when is it? Thanks! Image
Attachments
IMG_0480.jpeg
KayW

Post by KayW »

@CCubed - @ship4u to the rescue4u:
ship4u wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:37 am REMINDER: Today is Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 pm Eastern Time. It is a time when all muggles are invited to spend some time together to talk about the current WSJ meta and how to improve your meta solving skills, and any other important issues, such as how your week has been going. What better way to start the weekend than to get to know other muggle friends a bit better?

Hope to see you there. Simply click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join the group.
menu.png
There is another regularly scheduled solving Zoom - "Last Call" every Sunday at 8pm ET.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.