Crossroads

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got this done this morning on Crosshare but forgot to post here. This was amazing!! OTC
The other Wendy. :roll:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: OTC - Amazing construction, and fun to solve. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

OTC. Great puzzle Jay!

When my husband and I went to Boston we ditched the rental car pretty quick. Public transit was way better!
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch. Stunning meta, Jay!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

MMM saves the meta weekend. Great job, Jay!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On Day One, thirty-six intrepid and resourceful souls got up of the couch and crossed the crossroads.
Solvers.jpg
Nudges tomorrow.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:40 pm Before I start on this meta, I have some confusion about the picture.

I am not familiar with that configuration. Here in the Boston area we have roads coming together at odd angles and we have rotaries which are ruled by the person with the oldest and most beat up cars. And local customs rule as no one knows the laws. On the rare occasion that we actually have four roads coming together at right angles, invariably there are stop signs on three of them and nothing on the fourth. Only the locals know which road is the one without the stop sign.

On to the grid and the meta
We had to go to Hanscom AFB quite a few times, so a beantown expat gave me two pieces of advice, and I quote (in a Boston accent): "Rule numbuh 54: Nevah, evah, make eye contact. Rule numbuh 76: When in doubt, accelerate!"
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OTC via email with more than a little assistance from Heidi @hcbirker . And I see that @KayW gets credit for solving twice.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:43 pm OTC via email with more than a little assistance from Heidi @hcbirker . And I see that @KayW gets credit for solving twice.
Sheesh, now I have to proofread my solver tally?
Kay really does merit a double, but in the interests of nit-picking precision, I have renumbered the list.
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

My first Boston driving experience was driving an under-powered 18' U-Haul box truck towing a RAV4. When we popped out of a tunnel facing a centuries-old brick building I knew we'd taken a wrong turn. I also learned when we were on correct surface streets to give, TAKE, make your navigator responsible for bridge clearances, and apologize to nobody.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:10 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:43 pm OTC via email with more than a little assistance from Heidi @hcbirker . And I see that @KayW gets credit for solving twice.
Sheesh, now I have to proofread my solver tally?
Kay really does merit a double, but in the interests of nit-picking precision, I have renumbered the list.
Haha what can I tell you? I'm from Chicago, it's a habit. In voting and everything else - early and often.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late to it, catching up from out of town this weekend, and spent stupid time on MGWCC.

But loved this, Jay! Clever idea and construction, with a thematically apt answer to boot. Really well done!
Ray
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch. Hung up in a rabbit hole, but then it finally occurred to me what I needed to do. Thanks, Jay!
Cindy Heisler
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

very elegant from title to prompt to interior cluing to the gridditation to the rest of it. should be nominated for some nice prize or something....
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch! Struggled for two days on the last part but decided not to ask for nudges. I would call it more of a "there it is" than an aha moment, since there was some work for me to do when I finally decided to follow the correct path, which I had dismissed a couple of times. Worth the effort! Well done.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it, but needed a hint from Jay. Thanks for the puzzle!
Cynthia
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

OTC!

Nicely constructed. I may not have seen it without the nudges in the clues. I only started tonight; I remembered I didn't do it yesterday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Nine more solvers arrived yesterday.

38. Alex Sisti
39. DCBilly
40. Anita and Steve
41. Cindy Heisler
42. lbray53
43. CPJohnson
44. Eric Porter
45. Streroto
46. markhr

Maybe the nudges will helf a few others.

There are no themers as such.
The longest entries are eight letters, and there’s only two of them.
But there are several 7-letter entries

The clues for 50A and 32D.

Note that those nudges specify “words,” not “entries.”

Because those words are not entries, they do not have clues. Or do they?

The clues for those words — admittedly some of them are rather loose — are attached to other entries in the grid.

You know that drill — eight words ➜ eight clues ➜ eight entries ➜ eight letters. And Bob’s your uncle.
Jay
hoover

Post by hoover »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:53 am And Bob’s your uncle.
And he lives in Arkansas.