"New Order" - January 2020

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
User avatar
Hector
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

"New Order" - January 2020

#1

Post by Hector » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Got a little worried after submitting, for reasons, but all is well.

User avatar
damefox
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 pm

#2

Post by damefox » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm

On the board. I was also a little worried after submitting, for probably the same reasons, which I'm not a fan of, but other than that a nice start to the year! Finally updated my screen name - last year I was ERO on the MMMM board.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#3

Post by KayW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm

The first puzzle of 2020. The meta is a band that would complete this puzzle's theme.

Have fun and good luck!

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#4

Post by KayW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 pm

That was fun! I had my guess ready to go before I completed the grid, but as usual waited for the leaderboard to confirm I was correct before posting here.

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#5

Post by FrankieHeck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm

So about the red herring...am I reading it correctly that our best strategy for the mega meta would be to guess the red herring first and then the correct answer, for maximum points? Assuming you can't submit a second answer after you guess correctly?

User avatar
sharkicicles
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Location: Chicago

#6

Post by sharkicicles » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm

FrankieHeck wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm
So about the red herring...am I reading it correctly that our best strategy for the mega meta would be to guess the red herring first and then the correct answer, for maximum points? Assuming you can't submit a second answer after you guess correctly?
That’s how I read it FWIW.

Pretty easy January but one of my favorite bands!

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#7

Post by hcbirker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Well that was easy! And I agree we should submit the red herring first.
Heidi

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#8

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Got it. Nice, fairly easy warm-up for a new MMMM year.

I too am not 100% clear on the rules for the red herring. So I'll keep watching here.

User avatar
joequavis
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm
Location: Loveland, Colorado

#9

Post by joequavis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Officially joining the MMMM crowd this year. I tried a few puzzles last year and find them to be just the right difficulty level for me these days.

Looking forward to the music-themed banter.

Oh, and I got this one!
Chaddog on MGWCC leaderboard
Matt in real life

Laura M
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#10

Post by Laura M » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Fun one! On the lifetime leaderboard, I know I joined up partway through 2018, but my score that year is 0. I guess because I didn't solve 9 puzzles? Anyway, I'm glad Pete is doing another year!

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#11

Post by FrankieHeck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Laura M wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm
Fun one! On the lifetime leaderboard, I know I joined up partway through 2018, but my score that year is 0. I guess because I didn't solve 9 puzzles? Anyway, I'm glad Pete is doing another year!
Yes, only solvers with 10 or more correct answers are listed. I'm looking forward to a full year, too!

Laura M
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#12

Post by Laura M » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

FrankieHeck wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:46 pm
Laura M wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm
Fun one! On the lifetime leaderboard, I know I joined up partway through 2018, but my score that year is 0. I guess because I didn't solve 9 puzzles? Anyway, I'm glad Pete is doing another year!
Yes, only solvers with 10 or more correct answers are listed. I'm looking forward to a full year, too!
Thanks, I guess I was thinking that meant that you had to have 10 solves total in order for your name to be in the list at all, but it makes sense that it's per year. I did get a full year in 2019 but I'm looking forward to another one! Though I see that the mega-meta won't have [***] clues this year, so I'm not optimistic about improving on that...

pmxwords
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am

#13

Post by pmxwords » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 am

Hi all-

I wanted to clarify the mega-meta/red herring scoring since a few people mentioned not being sure how it works.
It doesn't matter if you get the red herring before or after you get the mega-meta. You will get credit for both in either case.

Thanks for playing!

Pete

User avatar
Jeremy Smith
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: Tampa Bay area

#14

Post by Jeremy Smith » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 am

Got it!

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#15

Post by hcbirker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:59 am

pmxwords wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 am
Hi all-

I wanted to clarify the mega-meta/red herring scoring since a few people mentioned not being sure how it works.
It doesn't matter if you get the red herring before or after you get the mega-meta. You will get credit for both in either case.

Thanks for playing!

Pete
Thanks for clarifying that Pete!
Heidi

pmxwords
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am

#16

Post by pmxwords » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Laura M wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm
Fun one! On the lifetime leaderboard, I know I joined up partway through 2018, but my score that year is 0. I guess because I didn't solve 9 puzzles? Anyway, I'm glad Pete is doing another year!
Thanks for finding a bug in our calculations!

Your 2018 score should be listed now

User avatar
Thurman8er
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

#17

Post by Thurman8er » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 pm

This one was just right. Happy to join in another year of fun solving.

Laura M
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#18

Post by Laura M » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

pmxwords wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 pm
Laura M wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm
Fun one! On the lifetime leaderboard, I know I joined up partway through 2018, but my score that year is 0. I guess because I didn't solve 9 puzzles? Anyway, I'm glad Pete is doing another year!
Thanks for finding a bug in our calculations!

Your 2018 score should be listed now
Thank you so much! It's nice of you to read this forum and respond to something that I didn't even think was an actual problem, just something that I didn't understand :-)

User avatar
ky-mike
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Louisville Ky

#19

Post by ky-mike » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Going to try and add this to my meta-solving activities. January complete.

User avatar
Eric Porter
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

#20

Post by Eric Porter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am

It was an easy one to start the new year as promised. I didn't start until around September last year, so this year I'll be eligible for the Grand Prize drawing.
Nice to have Pete in this forum.

Locked