Divided Loyalties

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeah... the nudges were exactly what I thought I had to do. So, I'm never going to get this one.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Got it! Took me a while to get that final step.
Pretty clever puzzle.
adamsimonlevine

Post by adamsimonlevine »

The answers are starting to roll in!

12. DJB
13. TerminatorX
14. Mg305
15. Schmeel
16. Anita and Steve
17. markhr
18. Carolyn
19. JM
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

woozy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:05 am Yeah... the nudges were exactly what I thought I had to do. So, I'm never going to get this one.

I'm in the same boat
adamsimonlevine

Here is a larger nudge:
7. It might help to look carefully at the lists of MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL teams.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Never made it off the couch! Thankfully, the "give up and reveal" option was available in Crosshare or I would still be floundering. I got halfway there but am not sure that I would ever have solved it. In retrospect, the solution completely cleared up what I considered an inelegance while solving. That means it is on me, not the constructor.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
adamsimonlevine

Solution time! This was a tough one.

The four geographic locations in the themers point to four US professional sports teams that occur as alternate answers to clues elsewhere in the puzzle:
1-Down: Carnivorous mammals = JACKALS, but also PANTHERS (Carolina - NFL)
10-Down: College members = ELECTORS, but also CARDINALS (St. Louis - MLB)
57-Across: They may help you get around national parks = TRAILS, but also RANGERS (Texas - MLB)
36-Down: Some noblemen = SIGNORI, but also KINGS (Los Angeles - NHL)
The first letters of the grid entries spell JETS, which is another team name.

Now, what do these teams have in common? Answer: they each have the same name as team in another league:
Florida Panthers (NHL)
Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
New York Rangers (NHL)
Sacramento Kings (NBA)
The first letters of those locations spell FANS, making our answer JETS FANS, in reference to either the NY Jets (NFL) or the Winnipeg Jets (NHL), as indicated by the instructions. Being a Jets fan of the NY variety, I really didn't have much to do in the run-up to the Super Bowl, hence this puzzle.

There were a couple of unintentional red herrings that made this a less smooth solve than I hoped. First, there were two other teams that could have been alternative answers:
1-Across: Zippy watercraft = JETSKI, but also (Los Angeles) CLIPPERS
52-Down: Moody genre = EMO, but also (St. Louis) BLUES
More importantly, I somehow failed to notice that half of the meta answer was sitting right in the upper-left corner! After jumping through many hoops to avoid having any other team names occur in the grid, I seriously don't know how I missed this. But I think many solvers may have viewed this as a feature, not a bug, so I guess it turned out OK.

Thanks for your perseverance in solving!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The cat got halfway out of the bag. Then he must have seen his shadow or something and gone back in. Too bad. It's a neat puzzle, and I wish I had stuck with it, even if I didn't remember that the Chicago Cardinals had moved to somewhere else.
Jay
ajk

Post by ajk »

Even though I got bogged down by CLIPPERS I managed to backsolve to JETS, figuring that there was a match for SIGNORI that I was missing. So knew it was playing on the two JETS franchises. But then I thought I was supposed to infer from there (took a flyer on FOOTBALL JETS), so didn't go looking for an explicit second step. Fun one in retrospect, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Got part of the way through the puzzle but never scored the answer.
Brilliant construction. Matt Gaffney, watch out!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman