MGWCC #819 — “The Odd Squad”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:15 pm On the board, I had tried every other way of thinking about "odd," and initials is one of the standard tools. So I felt kind of stupid for needing a nudge telling me to pay attention to them.
Similar: I was working ALL of the ODD LETTERS of the theme entries versus the ODD LETTERS of the alphabet, but was off. When the desk-induced swelling of my brain ebbed, I tried the TE INITIALS, which gave me an answer about which I wasn't 100% sure. It was 11:45 AM ET & I had to submit (and colorize) something, so I went with it.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'd just like to say that Meryl Streep, Sissy Spacek, Shirley MacLaine, and Marlee Matlin would all qualify for the "squad" if it weren't for the team's exclusivity rule barring new members who have a name starting with the same letter as an existing member.

How dare they! Frankly, that rule is quite.... (wait for it)... odd.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:00 pm 254. Joe Ross 02/14 - 11:56
You’ve got the D in Eric Idle’s name bolded instead of the I
Abide

Post by Abide »

This would have been another appropriate byline for "by M.G."
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Renee

Post by Renee »

hgfhdg
Last edited by Renee on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

When going to the MGWCC page to submit my answer of CHER, I noticed that the answer to this week's puzzle was there in plain sight in the wrap up to the previous week's puzzle! (44-A: C, H, E + R = CHER, another one-named star) I doubt this has happened very often if ever in one of Matt's puzzles.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:21 pm When going to the MGWCC page to submit my answer of CHER, I noticed that the answer to this week's puzzle was there in plain sight in the wrap up to the previous week's puzzle! (44-A: C, H, E + R = CHER, another one-named star) I doubt this has happened very often if ever in one of Matt's puzzles.
I remember one time when the answer was UTOPIA two weeks in a row. If I had to WAG, I would've done that, just due to the humor of having it in plain sight as you said!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around