"In A Crunch" February 2, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Ashore! But staying off the beach until this big storm clears out. I’ll have a Dark n Stormy ⛈️ 🌊 🍹
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Ashore!! Agree with those who say it helps to have done lots of other metas. Was totally lost until I thought, wait, usually on the first Friday of a month, overthinking is not needed. (This could be my imagination, but I am only able to figure out these metas about 30% of the time and it seems to be more likely at the start of the month.)

So, I took a step back and wham. Very impressed with the construction!!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wow! Late start but still stared for quite a bit until bam! Loved it, Mike!

If I can elbow my way to the bar I’ll go old school tonight with a classic manhattan… cheers!
Ray
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Made it to shore with a nudge from @ship4u. Another puzzle that has me astounded in its construction. (My apologies to any grammar experts out there.)
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Finished the grid fairly quickly, including the stinking European river.

Got the first step, but had an error (due to my poor penmanship, as usual -- I guess the nuns weren't nasty enough (impossible)). Set it aside and did Patrick Berry's rows garden variety puzzle. Figure out the error and promptly went nowhere.

Went drift diving this morning. Hit the wine racks and the two airplanes AND the YO-257 that were sunk by Atlantis Submarines. Second dive was the Sea Tiger where a very large Spotted Eagle Ray decide to come visit up close, so not a bad morning despite the 5 am alarm.

Got home, washed my gear, looked at the puzzle again and...

...not an aha moment. A very DOH! moment. As in: "I can't believe it's not butter!" Wait-- that was Fabio. More like I can't &$%#*ing believe I was so clueless.

Anyway, back on dry land. Left a nice tip for Isaac. Duckhorn to start the evening. Since they were deferred due to the early alarm, the Bombay Sapphire martinis will be Saturday evening this week a few minutes after the duckhorn.

Friends flying in to visit on Thursday. That means this place is in the cards next week: https://www.facebook.com/SuzieWongsHideaway/

Here's a pic of one of the airplanes at ~110 feet down (actually just the wing section). Not great visibility, but sure beats going into the office.
GOPR1157r.JPG
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A PSA - I will be out all day tomorrow so there will not be a mid day report. There will be a final report after the Last Call zoom session
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Finally ashore after @ship4u confirmed what I was already seeing.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Ashore thanks to a strong punch to the face by @Joe, who then proceeded to drag me to shore. Not submitting.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore after deciding it was impossible, but giving it one more shot anyway. Just remarkable.
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Ok that was fun. Solved!
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore!
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

Ashore after major surgery Friday!
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! What a fun mechanism!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

OMG. Finally! After staring at it all weekend, and with the help of comments here not to overthink (which saved me some time with elaborate rabbit holes), it suddenly dawned on me. At least I have today to move on to the rest of the weekend’s puzzles.
newbymar

Post by newbymar »

ASHORE! Thanks to my brothers...
[Mary Milani Newby ;)
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore!
BetterMonday

Post by BetterMonday »

Finally literally dragged onshore. Yes, i also tried to make this alot more complicated than it had to be.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore finally. Another gem from Mike. I was getting nowhere until suddenly the light went on and it all came together.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m ashore, with my husband! He retired at the end of the year and is actually interested in doing crosswords. He even seems to be interested in metas.

Many weeks I’ve been too busy to try to solve due to another milestone - our daughter is getting married in June and I’m designing/sewing the dress. If the meta requires more time than what I have during breakfast, I skip it. Enjoyed coming here and reading comments today!