WSJ Acrostic [Sat, 01/27/24]

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
DBMiller

WSJ Acrostic [Sat, 01/27/24]

Post by DBMiller »

Hadn't done an acrostic in some time and happened upon this one. Had to laugh at the clue/answer for the R entry
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Last few of these have prefilled with last solve and revealed the answer. You have that?
KayW

Post by KayW »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:25 pm Last few of these have prefilled with last solve and revealed the answer. You have that?
I know there's been lots of grumblings on it on the WSJ comments section the past several acrostics. I think there's a caching confusion of some sorts - the browser somehow gets confused and thinks it's the same puzzle as last time? But I'm not the most tech-savvy.

I always solve on a Windows 11 platform. The pre-fill gibberish happens to me whenever I open an acrostic in the Edge browser. I am reluctant to clear my cache or cookies there, so I use Mozilla Firefox for the acrostic puzzles. In Firefox, the puzzle ALWAYS comes up blank for me. Even if it's a puzzle I already solved, like this past week's when I went back to it just now. So it seems like "all or nothing", and in this case I prefer NOTHING to be retained from visit to visit.

Hope that made sense and helps!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

It's a pain (but kind of funny to see the old answers jammed into a new grid). But if you click the ERASE icon it clears it.

Also annoying is there acrostic front page (https://www.wsj.com/news/types/acrostic) hasn't been fixed to account for puzzles with dates in the new year. (New Year being 2023)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.