" WE’LL BE BACK SHORTLY" January 26, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:46 am
CPJohnson wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:51 am
KayW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:54 am
Me neither, and I’ve been submitting since the very first WSJCC 😖 Some of our luckier members have posted here
Considering the number of People Who Like to Count Things in this group.....surely someone has a list of mug-winners among the muggles!
I think we should task the tallying to @ky-mike, whose family has won three.
🥳🏆
Hmmm. Might take a while. 9 years of contests (started in 2015) X 52 weeks (ignoring leap years) is 468 weeks of puzzles. They are all probably still out there with contest winner's names. No promises.

While my family has three mugs, I only have one with my wife and daughter also having one each.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

steveb wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:24 am
Bulrich wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:49 am On the beach. Just curious. How many people here have actually won a mug?
Not me, but then I'm kind of a newbie. I've only submitted a little over 300 correct contest entries. Maybe this week will be the one!
Me neither, and I’ve been submitting since the very first WSJCC 😖 Some of our luckier members have posted here
Count me with those who are grumbling about having submitted weekly for years without winning. I've been doing the puzzle with my two kids ever since the pandemic hit and we found it a good excuse to get on a zoom call. My wife told my kids that if either of them ever wins the mug, they have to give it to me. I'm not even sure they both submit answers. We just like getting on a zoom call, chatting, and then seeing who can find the metanism first.

But I want to win that mug... :x
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:35 am

Not me, but then I'm kind of a newbie. I've only submitted a little over 300 correct contest entries. Maybe this week will be the one!
Count me with those who are grumbling about having submitted weekly for years without winning. I've been doing the puzzle with my two kids ever since the pandemic hit and we found it a good excuse to get on a zoom call. My wife told my kids that if either of them ever wins the mug, they have to give it to me. I'm not even sure they both submit answers. We just like getting on a zoom call, chatting, and then seeing who can find the metanism first.

But if everyone won the mug, it would have no value. There would be no quest for the holy grail.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning muggles from snowy Massachusetts.

Slow progress to the shore so we have 7 on the ship and 178 on the shore.

Joining those in the ship's lounge with the big screen TV's we have

otlaolap
Justmarebear
JeanneC
Colin

And getting to the shore are

mattythewsjpuzzler
Yoda66
LittleGood
copperriver
Hidden in 3D
TeamDoubleTow
chocoholic
TeaJenny
Susan G
Doug C
bread-girl
ladybird
jimbo1
Secret Adversary
newbymar
Bob B
Collegetowngirl
David Wi
BreeZynCO
Bulrich
flamingbear
Oxford Comma Mama
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
HunterX

Good luck with the meta and don't forget the Last Call zoom session tonight at 8 pm EST.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:37 am

But if everyone won the mug, it would have no value. There would be no quest for the holy grail.
Of course, I would like to win a mug, just for the bragging rights. But, given the odds of winning, I don't put much hope in it. However, since I have made so many wonderful friends in this group, I feel that I have "won" more pleasure than I could ever gain from a mug! Thank you, all!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:59 pm On shore thanks to Mr. LadyBird's observant eye. We already enjoyed some sangria at a tapas restaurant--making the most of Restaurant Week in Chicagoland.
The only kind of eye movement I get from Mr. Hidden (when metas are the subject) is of this variety: :roll: . Well, maybe it's not a full eye roll, but more like what I do when he explains how he missed getting a birdie by mere inches. I really do try to listen politely and offer condolences when needed, but what can I say: we both enjoy different interests!
Sara
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Count me with those who are grumbling about having submitted weekly for years without winning.
Oh, I don't want everyone to win the mug. Just me! :twisted:
M and M

Post by M and M »

Head-scratching bunny chasing week, but like many others, we were finally given a word that indicated some of our bunnies were actually boats to the shore. (That is a lousy metaphor) So we're ashore and happy to be here with all the other north-living snowbunnies who are enjoying the beach.
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

Got it. Nice!
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Of course, one must be pure of heart to approach the grail. That, and know the airspeed of an unladen swallow.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:52 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:59 pm On shore thanks to Mr. LadyBird's observant eye. We already enjoyed some sangria at a tapas restaurant--making the most of Restaurant Week in Chicagoland.
The only kind of eye movement I get from Mr. Hidden (when metas are the subject) is of this variety: :roll: . Well, maybe it's not a full eye roll, but more like what I do when he explains how he missed getting a birdie by mere inches. I really do try to listen politely and offer condolences when needed, but what can I say: we both enjoy different interests!
Haha! We must be married to the same guy! Mr Ergcat also gives me the eye roll when I speak of metas and then he regales me with his prowess on the golf course! And we used to live in Chicagoland ( Deerfield) before moving down here to SC !! 😂
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Ergcat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:32 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:52 am
Haha! We must be married to the same guy! Mr Ergcat also gives me the eye roll when I speak of metas and then he regales me with his prowess on the golf course! And we used to live in Chicagoland ( Deerfield) before moving down here to SC !! 😂
@LadyBird , @Hidden in 3D and @Ergcat It works both ways. I get the eye roll on both meta explanation and golf from Mrs Cruise Director. But she does enjoy it when I read sagas like the three of you posted. Thank you all.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DannyWalter wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 pm
Count me with those who are grumbling about having submitted weekly for years without winning.

Of course, one must be pure of heart to approach the grail. That, and know the airspeed of an unladen swallow.
What, European or African?
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore! Finally saw it.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

I want to win that mug! Been doing this for what seems like YEARS (actually it's been maybe 4 years) and my entire family keeps asking me why I haven't won yet. Little do they know (or understand) just how many crossword fiends are out there who also submit correct answers each and every week! Sigh.

My consolation is to just enjoy the fun, along with some frustration, and the satisfaction of solving by myself. When I first joined this forum I asked for a nudge once or twice, and though it was very helpful, in the end solving didn't feel the same.

The ever-so elusive mug may never be mine... but if I am ever so fortunate, I will honor it.

I do wonder about the growth of the number of participants and correct entires. since the inception of WSJCC. As those numbers steadily increase, it would seem that the mug has become even more precious, and virtually impossible to win.
🌴🍹
femullen

Post by femullen »

Newly retired, and I've missed every week since because I can't seem to take control of my calendar. Or even find it.

I am safely aboard, toes on the brass rail.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Colin&Chuck904

Post by Colin&Chuck904 »

Ashore. Tough grid but finally made the swim. Sitting back with a lagunitas and hopefully a Ravens comeback on TV.
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

Took me a couple runs at it but it finally clicked. Glad to be ashore.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Idling on my raft, drifting along, football in the background, when an idea hit me. This time it was good. Ashore.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Ashore while watching some football. Good Puzzle!