"It's Current, See?" by schmidzy

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
schmidzy

"It's Current, See?" by schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Good morning, muggles! Hope everyone's staying warm and safe on this wintery day. A perfect day to cozy up, snuggle with your pets, and solve a puzzle. So without further ado...

Many thanks (as always) to Abide and Joe Ross for meta and technical help.

It's Current, See?
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Well done - a lovely meta for a chilly day of urban hibernation. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OTC - thanks for the puzzle, @schmidzy
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Darth

Post by Darth »

OTC. Thanks, schmidzy!
Meg

Post by Meg »

OTC. And I learned something!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
docison

Post by docison »

Got this, once I worked through a tricky bit of misdirection.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Think I am OTC but confused about one thing. And yes @Meg so did I!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

OTC and I learned two things.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I got the answer but I must not have the mechanism because... well, there's one thing that I can't consistently apply and I can conceive of being merely a goof.

.... but the rest of what I have can't be just a rabbit hole. So I'm confused.

I'll take a hint at an explanation.

Fun puzzle and fun grid though.

EDIT: Never mind. Had to wait for that solvers' data to update so I could read others comments. Others figured it out. Um... but I figure there must be more this than just what I see.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I had to visit the medical tent for clarity but finally got off the couch. Thanks for a clever one.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch. Thanks for the puzzle!
Matthew
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Oh no! Thanks to some friendly comments, I've realized a big oversight on my part. As it turns out, there's not one but TWO different ways to arrive at the answer ... and the second way is much simpler. More to come in the Wednesday nudges (and of course the reveal) but for now, sincere apologies to all of you who are left feeling confused, and I promise to check my work more carefully next time around.

(And if you feel charitably inclined, consider that extra piece a "bonus puzzle" ... there is a way to get from there to the same answer!)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch! Thanks for the Monday fun, @schmidzy !
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

docison wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:12 am Got this, once I worked through a tricky bit of misdirection.
Definitely was at the same place for a moment!

Off the couch! But it's so comfy!

Thanks for the puzzle, @schmidzy!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch… then shoveled snow so now back on the couch!
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

schmidzy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:59 am Oh no! Thanks to some friendly comments, I've realized a big oversight on my part. As it turns out, there's not one but TWO different ways to arrive at the answer ... and the second way is much simpler. More to come in the Wednesday nudges (and of course the reveal) but for now, sincere apologies to all of you who are left feeling confused, and I promise to check my work more carefully next time around.

(And if you feel charitably inclined, consider that extra piece a "bonus puzzle" ... there is a way to get from there to the same answer!)
Indeed I do consider that a bonus puzzle -thanks! Back to the board. I'm curious to see which of the paths I found...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I really enjoyed the clueing on this one, schmidzy! Just mysterious enough, in several cases, to cause a challenge that I ended up smiling about.
OTC --
Untitledzz1.png
Thanks for the puzzle!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Team Easy here. I thought the "bonus puzzle" was just a clever misdirect.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch. Tricky!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

OTC! Had to Google. Thanks for the puzzle!
Heidi