"It's Current, See?" by schmidzy

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

All right friends, first things first I have another solver update for you. 12 more solves brings us up to 80 total (if my math is correct). Thank you to everyone for solving and for all your kind comments!

Bird Lives
bhamren
AxelPlays
Bbaack
Susan
ajk
Tyrpmom
jbird
SJMcK
Flora Wynn
Steve M
markhr
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

rsz_1the_contest_answer_is_news.png

As promised, the full DOUBLE reveal! The idea behind this puzzle was originally to spell a word using currency symbols that are a letter with line(s) through it. I've always thought it was a fun fact that the Mexican peso and the U.S. dollar share a currency symbol, so I went with PESO instead of DOLLAR for the final S, plus I loved the entry BAGPIPE SOLO. Well, that's where I didn't do my homework because I let the Peruvian SOL slip in alongside it, and of course it's much easier to solve a meta that just uses first letters, albeit with a big ugly red herring of a PESO. Fortunately, both methods led to the same answer! Let me again offer my sincerest apologies for the consternation I caused many of you, and thank you for your patience and kind comments in spite of the puzzle's flaws.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Very clever! I never saw the currency symbols nor, oddly enough, PESO which I HAVE heard of. Because I was just using the first letters of the currencies as I went. When I got to the fourth theme entry I was expecting an S-word, so I just googled SOL (which I had not heard of). And never even saw PESO til I read here about the multiple solutions. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart - though it makes me miss some of the finer points. Also I didn't know that the PESO uses the same currency symbol as USD. Thanks for a fun and educational meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

schmidzy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 am As promised, the full DOUBLE reveal! The idea behind this puzzle was originally to spell a word using currency symbols that are a letter with line(s) through it. I've always thought it was a fun fact that the Mexican peso and the U.S. dollar share a currency symbol, so I went with PESO instead of DOLLAR for the final S, plus I loved the entry BAGPIPE SOLO. Well, that's where I didn't do my homework because I let the Peruvian SOL slip in alongside it, and of course it's much easier to solve a meta that just uses first letters, albeit with a big ugly red herring of a PESO. Fortunately, both methods led to the same answer! Let me again offer my sincerest apologies for the consternation I caused many of you, and thank you for your patience and kind comments in spite of the puzzle's flaws.
Even though it briefly threw me for a loop, I think that it makes the puzzle even cooler, especially with it not being intentional.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!