"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:47 am Good Sunday morning muggles

As a PSA and to keep muggles from jumping off the ship into the mouth of a shark, the metas over the past several months have been much harder than the long term averages. As a result, the submissions to the WSJ are down almost 30% from an 8 week average of 1700 last spring to an average of 1300 since October. Muggle percentages are somewhat higher than the WSJ numbers in solving percentages, partly, I believe, because of the options for cooperative solving and partly because the muggles tend to be more dedicated to solving metas. However, even there, our number on shore has dropped from a 6 week average of about 200 last summer to about 180 currently. A few gimmies in December and November boosted our shore averages but 2024 seems to be back to the longer term trend.

So if you are frustrated, it is not because you have lost your mojo or that your favorite football/basketball/hockey team is not doing well, it is because of the difficulty of the metas that Matt and Mike are throwing at us.

This week is among the hardest we have seen. So far we have 20 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

New to the ship since yesterday are

Commodore
Susan G
otlaolap
whimsy

And on the shore are

Schmeel
Rita and George
Bill
C=64
CPJohnson
Nlobb - who was basking in the sun yesterday but I missed her.
DrTom
H and J
Bonnibel
Secret Adversary
Acarl
Grover

And don't forget the 8 pm zoom Last Call tonight.
Thanks Bob. That's good information and helpful perspective for the ship-bound....like me!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! Love it. Great aha moment.
Hot toddy please. And keep ‘em coming.
Sitting by the fire looking at more snow than we’ve had in years.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Totally lost at sea and tired of banging my head against the wall! I'm going to get some fresh air and take my 27A for his daily walk.
Sara
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Thank you, Bob, for the PSA. For a few weeks I have wondered why solutions have eluded me. I truly do enjoy these challenges and have introduced friends to this mode of puzzle. If the difficulty has been ratcheted up, it’s all good with me.Just makes solving all the sweeter!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Isaac and I are still conversing. I think I'm on the right path but may need a nudge. Anyone?
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

My 2024 streak of futility continues unabated.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore, I believe.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 pm I'm (or I should say we're) on the beach. I staRED at the grid and wondered if I was FACing the end of my 1-meta streak. And then I was lED down the MOther of all rabbit holes--and an amUSing one at that. And then I started liking the result. But it seemed rather feEBle and didn’t have that click. Then my husband made note of something and my answer didn't seem so weIRD after all.
Lady Bird- a big thank you for using your head in this way every week to enlighten us on more and more birds. Not an easy job to tackle. Take a bow❤️
IMG_2229.jpeg
I always look them up. Here’s today’s Red-faced mousebird
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Lost at sea. Trying to use my head but all I seem to be doing is taking in mouthfuls of water.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Late to the party but made it to the beach with a little help from my friend! Thanks to Don (ship4u) for confirmation and the nudge to the finish.

If you still have football games on the line, good luck. Have a great week, Muggles.
Isw

Post by Isw »

Ashore…
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Thanks for the encouraging data Bob. I'll lift my head off the bar, refocus my eyes, and give it another try.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Gave it another deeper look. I don't think the mechanism is set up the way I originally thought but once I opened the can of worms I could not establish any 3+ patterns. I believe that tomorrow morning I will find out that I may have traversed the right pattern. Isaac, please another Pisco Sour
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Relic

Post by Relic »

Taking a break from the puzzle to watch football with Isaac. After the game I may try again whilst nursing a beer, or maybe the beer will be nursing me. We shall see.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Still on the ship. We have to go babysit now, so I don't see us getting to shore tonight. I feel a little better knowing it's a hard one.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob wants clarity…
“I AM ON SHIP!” - but happy.
Finding it tricky.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Whelp, I got nuthin’.
Going to ride it out with Isaac. Just a Dry January soda with lime, Sir.
Konnie
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Hopelessly lost at sea. Minimal rabbit holes. I feel certain I'm going to have a big head slap when I see the answer. I feel like it's right in front of me and that i'm making this harder than it needs to be.
Inca

Post by Inca »

For those who have solved the meta: Do you "get" the title? To me it seems to be a bit off the mark