"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

This week is a non-starter for me. I do wish I had someone in my personal life I could talk about this with. I'm starting to lose my drive to keep trying on these.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
shalmanezer

Post by shalmanezer »

Inca wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:26 pm For those who have solved the meta: Do you "get" the title? To me it seems to be a bit off the mark
The title is often a good hint toward the first step in the meta process. However, this week -- hope it's late enough in the game I can say this without it being a spoiler -- the title didn't at all start me in the right direction. Only after I had the answer did the title fit.
Colin

Post by Colin »

ASHORE! Or am I?
Ship or shore? To be, or not?
Wine? Beer? - I care not!
One world. One planet. One future.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Continuing 2024 with Isaac.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Last minute trip to shore with the help of some nudges!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Got it thanks to the wonderful people on the Zoon call!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Flamel616 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:13 pm This week is a non-starter for me. I do wish I had someone in my personal life I could talk about this with. I'm starting to lose my drive to keep trying on these.
@Flamel616 The frustration you have is why many of us have established muggle friendships to toss ideas back and forth. Usually, they start out with PM's for a nudge and then trade emails and go from there.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Zobo3737

Post by Zobo3737 »

Missed the Zoom, my last chance. Have to give up, so I just submitted an answer that describes my effort, since I’m “not most.”
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count for the week is 30 on the ship and 129 on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Inca

Post by Inca »

shalmanezer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:37 pm
Inca wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:26 pm For those who have solved the meta: Do you "get" the title? To me it seems to be a bit off the mark
The title is often a good hint toward the first step in the meta process. However, this week -- hope it's late enough in the game I can say this without it being a spoiler -- the title didn't at all start me in the right direction. Only after I had the answer did the title fit.
I find that in general the title is more of a hint toward the metanism in a Shenk meta but more of just a clever title in the Gaffney metas. Regardless, the title usually "fits" the meta very well. But, this week, it seems to me that the title doesn't really applies 100%...or maybe I am missing something. That's why I asked.
woozy

Post by woozy »

My mileage varied by quite a bit. Without a hint or trigger I'd have gone all over the place with rabbits and wild guesses. But the title ... well, didn't guide me but let me evaluate whether I thought this ideas where in the pall-bark or whether they were pure shatter-scot. Also the title led to benign rabbit holes-- ideas that were wrong but could be twisted to things that were closer. But thats just me.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Aha! Off the ship and on the shore. Kept on grinding and finally saw it. Agree it's elegant (once you've solved it). ☺ Enjoyed the clicks.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Inca wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:17 pm
I find that in general the title is more of a hint toward the metanism in a Shenk meta but more of just a clever title in the Gaffney metas. Regardless, the title usually "fits" the meta very well. But, this week, it seems to me that the title doesn't really applies 100%...or maybe I am missing something. That's why I asked.
I kind of disagree. I got to an answer but wasn't sure it was 100%, the title made it 100%.Now granted I am not submitting but if I were the title would have convinced me I was correct.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Hail Mary submitted. Back to the cabernet and football.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
kgiano

Post by kgiano »

On the beach - Calivirgin Vicino Petite Sirah from vineyards in Fairfield, CA
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I see the answer. And I’m still lost at sea! I’ll need to read an explanation tomorrow!
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

Yeah, no. I don’t think I was going to get that one on my own this week.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Not a chance, I don't think I could have gotten this one even had I requested a nudge.

Solvers, please let me know what brand of gummies you're on so I can join the party!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

The answer makes no sense. Not much fun. Bring back the metas that mere humans could figure out.