MGWCC #814 — “You’ve Got to Stand for Something”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

SJMcK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:15 pm
woozy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:12 pm
Um... has this puzzle been mailed to anyone yet?
Yes.
Well, I guess my current perfect streak for 2024 continues then.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Broken record, etc etc but you don’t have to wait for an email. Me, I get so much crap email anyways I’d never see it. anyway at 11 (central) you can just go to the Patreon site and it’s there.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Anticipating beam-up, finally. Not a week 1, but nowhere near as hard as I made it :-)
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Gack. I'm having trouble with this and the WSJ!

Never mind. As soon as I went back to it and looked something up, I got it! Awaiting beam. Very fun.

Now to see if the same thing happens with the WSJ.
Last edited by Katiedid on Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow. Figuring this was supposed to be a week 1 I was joking about keeping up my perfect streak for 2024 but this is beginning to be get kind of creepy. Is there anyone as of five days into the year who has failed to solve any meta (without 80% of the nudges)?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Awaiting beamage. Not a week one IMHO.
Heidi
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I have what I think is the mechanism but maybe not because there’s one outlier that is not Gaffneyan (that’s to say, it’s not perfect.) either I’m not getting the whole thing yet or I’ve gone down a hell of a rabbit hole.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I've requested beam up and expect to be on board as soon as Scotty gets back to the transporter room.

This was harder than I expected a week 1 to be. My initial quick look wasn't enough, and it took a second pass to notice what I was meant to. But putting aside preconceived notions, I think it's quite solvable for the typical muggle.

I don't see any outliers impeding its Gaffneyanity.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

That took me way longer than it should have! Awaiting the beam.

Edit: I'm in! 🛸
Last edited by SamKat9 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Submitted and awaiting beamage. There is one thing I’m wondering about in terms of submitting, but I assume Matt’s got it all covered…

Really loved this AHA moment! I found this way harder than a week 1 (even the grid was tough). I would even say a week 3. It took me a long time to see the thing, and in the meantime there were plenty of other promising (errant) paths to take, some of which were very labor intensive.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Submitted and waiting to be beamed up

Edit: beamed!
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Whenever I see a thing that could be another thing, I always assume that the thing that I think is a thing might not be the thing that I think it is, so I inevitably look for another thing that might be more thing-like, and the the thing is that I usually find that the thing is actually the thing that I originally thought might be the thing, rather than the other thing.

I hope this isn't a spoiler.
ajk

Post by ajk »

HoldThatThought wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:03 pm I hope this isn't a spoiler.
Seems unlikely :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally submitted after a couple of stare-at-puzzle-while-fighting-rising-panic sessions. Had a plane trip in the middle that let me step away for a bit, and saw it almost immediately upon landing. Pretty snazzy stuff, as usual.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Berto

Post by Berto »

Finally saw it.
Would have had nightmares about it all year if I’d not got the first week 1!
Saying that… still awaiting beam…
Edit in at a rather lofty 145.
Last edited by Berto on Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HoldThatThought wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:03 pm Whenever I see a thing that could be another thing, I always assume that the thing that I think is a thing might not be the thing that I think it is, so I inevitably look for another thing that might be more thing-like, and the the thing is that I usually find that the thing is actually the thing that I originally thought might be the thing, rather than the other thing.

It's early, but this is the post of the year so far, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
donutrobot

Post by donutrobot »

another weekend, another double strikeout. how are people calling this a week 1.5???
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:03 pm Whenever I see a thing that could be another thing, I always assume that the thing that I think is a thing might not be the thing that I think it is, so I inevitably look for another thing that might be more thing-like, and the the thing is that I usually find that the thing is actually the thing that I originally thought might be the thing, rather than the other thing.

it ain't a spoiler, it's a thang
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

No, a thang is the thing that hairy, balding very overweight middle aged men wear to "impress" 20-year old coeds at any given beach resort.

Whereas a thing is just a thing. Freud said that.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Agree this is not a week 1. Finally beamed after much staring. The idea is a week one perhaps but the execution more like 2-2.5 at least. There's still something I don't get because Matt is always super tight and there is some laxity but the answer is a 100%er.

Stay well

Now back to WSJCC where I am utterly flummoxed