"Hitting the High Notes" January 5, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I need a nudge here. Tired of beating my head against the wall.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Ashore with nudges from@ship4u. I did like this one in spite of looking in the wrong places at first.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Anita wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:09 pm Where do I find the link to today's Zoom?
At the top it says "Muggle Zoom Room". Just click on it and you're there!
Heidi
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Completed grid Thursday but not on shore til today while battling sickness. Stay safe and healthy all Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 pm
Anita wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:09 pm Where do I find the link to today's Zoom?
At the top it says "Muggle Zoom Room". Just click on it and you're there!
I don't think it's a "today" room. I think the link is always there and anyone can go there at anytime. It's just that if you go at an off hour it'll probably be only you. Unless someone else happens to be wandering about...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Been staring at this since Thursday and seeing nothing (well, Friday doesn't count, because I was in bed most of the day sleeping off a horrible cold/flu -- not COVID, thankfully, but still wiped me out). Looked again this afternoon and finally had the epiphany and am now firmly on shore. I'll have a hot tea with honey and lemon (throat is still a little sore from all the coughing).
Matthew
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

I've since been informed I am not ashore, but aground on a reef. Regardless, I'm not getting underway on this deathtrap until next Thursday.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

At sea. No hope for an attempt.

Good luck all.

Heading to Duke's on Sunday for a Modelo Negra draft or two.
Rufus T. Firefly
woozy

Post by woozy »

I really don't like missing the wsj and I have a strong git feeling this is one I should get and I'll boot myself to Thursday when I find out what it is. Bit sometimes you just have to give up. I'll take a nudge if anyone wants to give one but I'm calling myself lost.

EDIT: okay. Nudged. I'm just going to say no-one should feel bad for not getting this. I may refer to these types of metas as "Mr. Left drove his car" problems in the future.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Off the reef and safely ashore thanks to the ship4u salvage team! I'm told The XWord Rabbit is going to want to hear about my ill-fated voyage on Monday...
Momo

Post by Momo »

Struggling. Just don’t see it. Anyone want to give me a hint feel free! At least I got amazing in spelling bee 🙄
buddysayswhat

Post by buddysayswhat »

I've paddled furiously but capsized on some pointy rocks...

Would love a nudge via DM please!

Update: Saved from Davey Jones' locker by some friendly nudges!
Last edited by buddysayswhat on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Momo

Post by Momo »

DavyGravy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm On the beach with a group nudge. My first page 1!
Will give nudges if you’re really stuck
Stuck!!!
dot

Post by dot »

Ashore with just a few hours left to go! Satisfying, though tricky for us. Had to revisit after a long break. Haven't seen this particular metanism before. H wants a Raspberry Lime Rickey, and J will have a Hot Chocolate with Heavy, Heavy Cream.
H & J
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Shockingly on the beach thanks to a total team effort -- the Mrs spotted something today and I added the other part. Tricky Mike!

Since it's mid-day and dry January, I'm having Rooibos tea. Safe weekend (what's left of it) to all.
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

Carried ashore by a very patient @HunterX . No submission. Very logical, but too difficult for me.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Totally lost at sea here! Would love a nudge if anyone is willing 🙏🏻
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Woohoo! I finally got it!
I can cook dinner now, instead of getting on Last Call (although it's always nice to see people on zoom :D )

Whew!
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Ashore! I pulled this one out last minute. I had all the clues since Thursday night but only parsed them correctly today. Glad to have the first meta of the New Year under my belt.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Late to the party on the beach, but here just the same, nudge free. Finally saw the connection. Nice meta.