MGWCC #813 — “Ring in the New”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

OK, so the discord server has come up with a likely mechanism. A few of us have submitted, so when the site updates there should be some names on the list!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
oggy

Post by oggy »

OMG I Jangled!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

oggy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:57 amOMG I Jangled!
Sooo impressed with oggy and a couple others who found the way out of this no-escape room with tons of cruel red herrings. Sheepishly submitting just because I hacked at it so long and tried similar things to the real solution but applied in the wrong places…
The other Wendy. :roll:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Yeah, the list of things tried by the group was…impressive.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I think it is deserving of a submission just for figuring out how to access Discord and then reading through the VERY long but engaging and enlightening thread. I so wanted to contribute but was always at least a half step late. I enjoyed several aha moments as well as some “well that is a stretch” thoughts. A great experience.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Fresh update at 9:05 with a lot of us group solvers swept in with assistance from #1 Oggy, Itai, fellow geniuses, and rabbit hunters.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oggy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:57 amOMG I Jangled!
Gives new meaning to "SPURS that jingle, JANGLE, jingle."

🥳🏆
Meg

Post by Meg »

Beamed with help and commiseration.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

The leaderboard is exploding! My hubris wants me to take this sans hint, but it might not be in the cards.

Edit: Up with the much-needed hint; my hubris was exceeded by my curiosity. Kudos to @oggy, who jangled his way to victory! Definitely a tricky one without the hint!
Last edited by MikeyG on Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: That first hint was just what I needed. Happy New Year! 🥳
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I honestly can't believe that some of the things I found were, in retrospect, irrelevant.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:28 pm I honestly can't believe that some of the things I found were, in retrospect, irrelevant.
Write them down for future mechanisms you'll put into a puzzle! That's what I need to start doing, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:29 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:28 pm I honestly can't believe that some of the things I found were, in retrospect, irrelevant.
Write them down for future mechanisms you'll put into a puzzle! That's what I need to start doing, haha.
This puzzle was the gift that keeps giving for me, so many red herrings! Now to remember where I left my notes and actually make a puzzle...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:29 pm
That's no joke...I've been plagiar inspired several times in the past.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed up early this morning following a late-night Discord collaboration of which I contributed only a miniscule piece. oggi solved first, independently, and was the brave soul who submitted first. itai and JeffTurnham then independently suggested the metanism and, from there, it was a matter of finding the right pieces. oggi then confirmed that we had discovered the metanism that oggi had used. Fantastic group solve!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

I for one thoroughly enjoyed the Discord confab last night. Thanks to Matt G. for conceiving such a devious puzzle, which made the Discording so fun.
boharr

Post by boharr »

With kind help, I have beamed. This puzzle was so difficult I can't even find the red herrings.
MMe

Post by MMe »

This is a week 2 with the hinted title; shows what a misleading/distracting title can do.
Is the last bit kind of wobbly?
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m with you!

Also, that hint would have gotten me there quickly, I believe (I solved via more direct help on the Discord chatter). I looked briefly at this kind of concept in… uh… one place, but not the other place.

I’m kind of liking the period of “very difficult” being offered before a hint for the rest of us. Gives the brainiacs (and those of us occasionally lucky enough to stumble upon it) a chance at those top spots. Kudos to Oggi!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
ricky

Post by ricky »

I would have never gotten it without the hint. With it, I was done in 15 minutes.

I also had IDed an entire mechanism that zero to do with the real one.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST