"Mark My Words" December 15, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Floated ashore Thursday but have been busy with birthday things for one of my sweet daughters, a graduation and a major implementation at work.

After all of that, I'll have a nice single malt. Maybe a Tomintoul.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

I spent a good amount of time staring at this one before it hit me! Nice to make it to shore before time ran out.
kimbo.k

Post by kimbo.k »

Solved the grid Friday evening and got nowhere with the meta. Looked at it last night and immediately saw what I was looking for. Went through another step that couldn’t have come together by accident, but didn’t have that 100% feeling enough to say I’m ashore. I’ll turn in my guess and find out tomorrow, but sounds like I may be in a “boat” with others. :?
kgiano

Post by kgiano »

On the beach
JoeFlanders

Post by JoeFlanders »

Ashore. Was basically what I thought the construct of the meta was, but not exactly. Clever as always
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

SMILE can be expressed by an emoticon ! And I think that clue 1d CMU was A confirmation!

From Britannica.com:
“Emoticons are punctuation marks, letters, and numbers used to create pictorial icons that generally display an emotion or sentiment.

The emoticon came into being after a joke went wrong at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in 1982. A gag about a fake mercury spill posted to an online message board sent the university into a tizzy, and because of this confusion, Dr. Scott E. Fahlman suggested that jokes and nonjokes be marked by two sets of characters we now recognize as standard emoticons: the smiley face :-) and the frowning face :-(. After this, emoticons were a big hit among Internet users.”
Last edited by Ergcat on Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

How is a smile something you can write? My answer was emoticon, which is the representation of a word like smile through punctuation. All the punctuation hidden in the long answers are used in emoticons, and the smile is the classic emoticon.
altosax

Post by altosax »

I still think “punctuation “ is a better answer. I don’t care for the other answer.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

FWIW Department:
“Miles” can also be expressed in numbers as well as letters. The numbers appear on mile MARKers.
Congrats to those who solved.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Gman

Post by Gman »

I submitted EMOTICON ☺️
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:05 am SMILE can be expressed by an emoticon ! And I think that clue 1d CMU was A confirmation!

From Britannia.com:
“Emoticons are punctuation marks, letters, and numbers used to create pictorial icons that generally display an emotion or sentiment.

The emoticon came into being after a joke went wrong at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in 1982. A gag about a fake mercury spill posted to an online message board sent the university into a tizzy, and because of this confusion, Dr. Scott E. Fahlman suggested that jokes and nonjokes be marked by two sets of characters we now recognize as standard emoticons: the smiley face :) and the frowning face :-(. After this, emoticons were a big hit among Internet users.”
WOW this is why I love this forum! Thank you for this very interesting factoid! I did solve the meta but I did not know this CMU backstory. LOVE IT! :) ;)
🌴🍹
SHIWUTONG

Post by SHIWUTONG »

I almost had the right answer
Last edited by SHIWUTONG on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I submitted smile, but was torn about submitting smiley face -- from the prompt.

Couldn't find a mechanism to get smiley face so went with smile. I guess that means I'll get the mug :D
Rufus T. Firefly
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Also, the letter "I" where the emoticon's "eyes" would be - happy coincidence or not, mind blown.

2 for 2 since discovering this new obsession.
femullen

Post by femullen »

SMILE, MILES, LIMES, SLIME. I still don't get it.

8^(
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Miki

Post by Miki »

TGWWNP!

Thank God we were not pageanted
femullen

Post by femullen »

I was going to guess "music," but step 1 was clear on what the available letters were. A typed glyph never occurred to me. Alas, another week at sea.

But while we're on this subject, here are some other "typos" I sometimes use.

Happy

8^)

Joyous

8^D

Giddy

<|^D

Sad

8^(

Angry

>8^(

Irate

>8^<

And, my favourite, asleep

|^o
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A bakery we walked past on Saturday! We don't normally walk past bakeries but we were on our way to Mimi's Tea Cottage for a sumptuous tea (sandwiches, scones, mini-desserts) after a performance of "The Nutcracker." Mark is a VERY good sport -- who, by the way, really wanted the meta answer to be either SIMILE or EMAILS (because the latter are written without postal letters).
Attachments
smile.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
heroine.chic

Post by heroine.chic »

I must say, I was extremely relieved to have confirmed that I submitted the correct answer.

In my mind one can draw or type a SMILE, but I've never in my life mentioned writing one, so I was unsure about my answer.

PHEW!
Fluctuat Nec Mergitur