"Mark My Words" December 15, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

Late start but ashore fairly quickly. Cute.
Abide

Post by Abide »

pilsbandy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:05 pm I am ashore, but more importantly I am having a severe facepalm moment: I have been a member of the forum for over two years and I JUST realized why we're called "Muggles". I'm not the only one who didn't know, right?

... right?
See Post #4 in this thread- First use of Muggles
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Janet

Post by Janet »

Abide wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:08 pm
pilsbandy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:05 pm I am ashore, but more importantly I am having a severe facepalm moment: I have been a member of the forum for over two years and I JUST realized why we're called "Muggles". I'm not the only one who didn't know, right?

... right?
As far as I know, I dubbed us the muggles when I was commenting with my wsj account of lpbutler. I was pleased it took off the way it did!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:01 pm Good Sunday morning muggles

Slow but steady progression from the ship to the shore. We have 4 on the ship with Isaac and 216 on the shore.

Pilsbandy joined the 3 others for an afternoon of TV watching and bridge on the ship

While getting to shore are

SusieG
Franky_T
JimJim
OliviaL
TheCatt
Kevin L - OUR 1400th MUGGLE!!!
EmilyW
diplomatt
iblinked
dogguy
Debbie
caf.caf Cathy
BetterMonday
Drew and Kasia
bread-girl
regfish (now Ms. regfish!!)
I guess maybe “the new Mrs”, Regfish, should change her handle to Rebfish to reflect her last name/initial change too! 😂
Inca

Post by Inca »

Finally got a chance to come back in and finalize this one. I should have realized with so many finding it simple, that I should resort to one of my two least favorite things needed to solve a meta and therefore keep resisting...not because there is anything wrong with the method, just with my eyes. Thanks to Joe's spreadsheet where I can see things better, it's all taken care of now.
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

Count me ashore. I got there Friday but was hesitant to call it the final destination. I'll enjoy another barely water, I guess.
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Janet wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:53 pm

... right?
As far as I know, I dubbed us the muggles when I was commenting with my wsj account of lpbutler. I was pleased it took off the way it did!
…and that’s why I chose the screen name “Merry Potter” - see the double connection?
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore and ready for an icy cold Manhattan.
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

... right?
beats me. so there are two of us!
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

ashore!
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Done and done, just what I needed after a weekend in Milwaukee, where the daughters made us save the date for two months without telling us what we were doing. Long story short, they took us to see Jerry Seinfeld, which was very funny. And fun.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Late start. Have two answers, but can't find the step to get the second one. So, submitted the first.

I'll have some sake tonight with the sushi.

Cheers everyone. Good luck mug-hunting.
Rufus T. Firefly
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore Friday after a little nudge from the Zoom group, but forgot to submit until this evening.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FatJack wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 pm

... right?
beats me. so there are two of us!
@FatJack - we are called muggles because of the mug that the WSJ awards every week. Nothing to do with Harry Potter
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Janet wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:53 pm

... right?
@Janet Like so many legends, the origins may be obscured in the fog of history. However we are all happy to be muggles.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore. Hope my answer suffices!
Steve_S

Post by Steve_S »

Ashore... had an/the answer 2 days ago, but also had another potential solution. Couldn't find a way to justify/rationalize the second, so going with the first... Find out tomorrow morning!
Steve
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good evening. Our final count is 2 on the ship and 233 on the shore.

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Safely ashore.