"Mark My Words" December 15, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dogguy

Post by dogguy »

On shore with a hint.
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

I've finished the grid but am severely lost at sea on the meta. I've been staring at this puzzle for probably a combined 3 hours and haven't come up with any leads whatsoever. Probably brain-fried from holiday stress. Any chance I could get a slight nudge?

UPDATE: Solved and ashore!! Thanks to the people who helped me work through it. Clever little puzzle. Virgin rum and coke for me, please!
Last edited by pilsbandy on Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relic

Post by Relic »

pilsbandy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:09 am I've finished the grid but am severely lost at sea on the meta. I've been staring at this puzzle for probably a combined 3 hours and haven't come up with any leads whatsoever. Probably brain-fried from holiday stress. Any chance I could get a slight nudge?
If u r still lost at sea send me a PM with anything at all you have noticed or thought about and I'll happily nudge you.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

I'm on shore. Reading between the lines of some earlier posts in this thread, I'm confident my answer is the one everyone else came to.
But like some others on this beach, I'm not sure I understand exactly how it fits the prompt. If I figuratively squint, I can make the jump. But it's a stretch.

Anyway... I'll take an egg nog with bourbon, please?
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

Ashore!
Nothing like a good nights sleep and some Polar Peppermint Dunkin coffee to help see -so I’m not at sea.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore! I was wandering around in the weeds for a while until I looked again at the title, and it all came together. At first the answer seemed to be a stretch, but it actually is perfect. Fun one!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:00 am
Colin wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:41 pm @Bob cruise director
Just curious… Did you photograph the Geminid shower this week? I was awake at 3am Thursday but did not hear about it until later. 🙄
@colin I did not. From the preview and the reports after, I was glad that I was warm and toasty in bed. The number of meteorites seen here in the Northeast were very few although the sky was clear.
I was out on my deck in a down coat with hot coffee at 4:30 that morning. The sky was clear and there were some nice ones shooting down. An hour or two later I was surprised and disturbed to read the WSJ article linking early rising to Neanderthal genes!
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Pretty certain that I am ashore, though I might be at a sandbar. I will have a Bell’s two hearted anyway!
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore after a long hiatus! Was unsure of my answer at first but conferring with ergcat I think we are both confident in our answers.
BetterMonday

Post by BetterMonday »

If you stare at something long enough...onshore!
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Slow but steady progression from the ship to the shore. We have 4 on the ship with Isaac and 216 on the shore.

Pilsbandy joined the 3 others for an afternoon of TV watching and bridge on the ship

While getting to shore are

SusieG
Franky_T
JimJim
OliviaL
TheCatt
Kevin L - OUR 1400th MUGGLE!!!
EmilyW
diplomatt
iblinked
dogguy
Debbie
caf.caf Cathy
BetterMonday
Drew and Kasia
bread-girl
regfish (now Ms. regfish!!)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Ashore
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

Ashore.
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

Ashore - once I got a toe hold, the climb was a snap (to mix metaphors)
CdnMG

Post by CdnMG »

Quick swim to shore today!
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

At the risk of adding more competition to the >5,000 other entrants, there is a super mega-crossword puzzle (50x50 grid) that contains a meta in today’s New York Times.

Should not be a long putt for you muggles.

Enter for a chance to win a cool $1,000.

Oh and by the way- I’m ashore for this NYT meta! :)
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on shore after over complicating for days!

Update: Almost submitted wrong answer. Had to keep working. Now safely on shore. I liked this one!
Last edited by CopperRiver on Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

I am ashore, but more importantly I am having a severe facepalm moment: I have been a member of the forum for over two years and I JUST realized why we're called "Muggles". I'm not the only one who didn't know, right?

... right?
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

No time for this until this morning. Safely ashore.

Grateful for a breezy solve amid the flurry of Christmas prep.

I should say, grateful for seeing my way without much trouble this time. Some days I'm not as lucky.

Cheers everyone!

A hot toddy, please!
🌴🍹