"Black Friday" November 24, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm ashore, with help from a kind muggle. Spent a long time chasing rabbits.
Cynthia
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Tough one for various reasons.
With help I am ashore
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

So I actually dreamed the mechanism to this one. Woke up this morning and solved it in a few minutes.

I’m not sure if I should be proud or seek professional help for obsessive behavior.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Finally can rest. Had one cancellation, so only 21 people here for my wife's side Thanksgiving/Christmas get together today.The tree has been up for two weeks already.

Count me on shore. Was looking at the right mechanism for the slightly wrong reason. When it was confirmed as the first step, I quickly worked through the answer.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bulrich

Post by Bulrich »

I've gone down some fruitless rabbit holes and could use a nudge if anyone is willing to drop me a subtle hint.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved finally..even tho I sat in the zoom and got a general idea, it took me another day to work thru it.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Back at the bar with isaac. Let me tell you, his leftovers buffet is awesome. As are the specialty cocktails. Chasing those darn rabbits is burning a few calories. Kayaking to shore would also be a nice way to burn calories, but no such luck. So far, we only see step one. Creativity is in short supply. Overthinking is abundant. There's still time, though! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. Raising my glass to my fellow barstool buddies and hoping for inspiration.

Jackson Park, Chicago, November 2012
straffin

Post by straffin »

New registrant here, love the puzzles, but I'm still sitting next to @LadyBird enjoying Isaac's mixology. (Finished grid, but no idea where to start looking for the contest answer. Am I understanding my location correctly?)

Where and/or how does one seek the slightest of hints on getting ashore? When are folks generally in the "Muggle Zoom Room" that others have mentioned? Do you need a camera and mic, or will Zoom Chat suffice?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

straffin wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:31 pm New registrant here, love the puzzles, but I'm still sitting next to @LadyBird enjoying Isaac's mixology. (Finished grid, but no idea where to start looking for the contest answer. Am I understanding my location correctly?)

Where and/or how does one seek the slightest of hints on getting ashore? When are folks generally in the "Muggle Zoom Room" that others have mentioned? Do you need a camera and mic, or will Zoom Chat suffice?
Hello, and welcome!

You have indeed got the local lingo figured out.

The regular zoom sessions are Fridays at 4:30 Eastern and Sundays at 8:00 Eastern. Zoom chat is fine. It would help if you have a speaker so you can hear the discussion. And the muggle zoom room is open all the time, so if you want to meet someone there outside the regular sessions, you can just arrange with them to meet there.

You can also get help using the Private Message function on this site. Send a note to anyone who's announced that they're on shore and are open to helping. (Me, for example, I'd be happy to help you.) Be sure your account is set up to notify you when you get a response (or check back regularly). Don't worry that when you hit "Send" the message shows up in your Outbox rather than your Sent messages folder. On this system, messages stay in the Outbox until the recipient actually reads them.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Crest

Post by Crest »

Ashore! Took awhile but we made it. One of the more convoluted ones that we’ve solved!!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On the ship with Isaac. And, unfortunately (or fortunately) he was already pouring well before working on the puzzle with my son.

After three nights in a row with my wife's family for dinner, I was ready for a night out with Isaac. So I'll need to take another look tomorrow after his coffee kicks in.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I recognized something about the puzzle and dove into Step 1. And took quite a few MisSteps before starting to send out a nudge request. And as I started explaining what I had done, I realized that I had, in fact, found the correct Step 2. On shore!
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On the ship. Firmly so.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Still sitting with Isaac…. Although physically I’m off the cruise ship and in beautiful Singapore for a few days. Here’s me in front of the iconic Marina Bay Sands Resort ( 3 towers with what looks like a ship on top). Going to ask Isaac for a Slingapore Sling… 🍹may help find the answer!
AE7CAACD-A979-4068-B24C-F9BA0364910E.jpeg
UPDATE: 🏝on shore🏝 the Singapore Sling didn’t help but a nudge from @BarbaraK did! Thank you!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Googly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:28 am Googly is on shore and having a feast
Untitledzz2googlies.png
Whoa! They're multiplying! :D
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

On shore with a nudge from my brother-in-law.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore.

Noticed something last night after too many of Isaac's offerings. Upon waking this morning I figured out how what I noticed was relevant. Clever construction!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

HunterX wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:15 am Ashore.

Noticed something last night after too many of Isaac's offerings. Upon waking this morning I figured out how what I noticed was relevant. Clever construction!
Shenk and Muller share a constructor trait which Gaffney seems less concerned with. Became a help with this one.
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

Just made it ashore, finally. It took a long time for the penny to drop. Clever puzzle, well done.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

A bit early but I am getting ready for today's "fight for the #1 draft pick bowl between the Patriots and the Giants". I do this by trying to stay awake because the game will definitely put me to sleep.

We have several new muggles since yesterday. Welcome to @straffin , @Bulrich and @newbymar Always great to have more muggles.

@BarbaraK explained very well in posting https://www.xword-muggles.com/viewtopic ... 15#p148681 getting help

Currently we have 21 on the ship for Isaac's special "Thanksgiving Day Leftover Brunch" and 119 on the shore.

Joining the ship's contingent since yesterday are

hunkra
Yoda66
Penny_Keatley
Bonnibel
ladybird
Zach
mlvilv
Collegetowngirl
Mord
straffin
Bulrich

And making their way to shore are

CPJohnson
Beth A
Beth T
Sleepy
jrdad
Cindy N
jimbo1
Crest
HunterX
Jean
jmorgie7
D B Miller
cheekumbaldy
Susan G
VanVeen
Charmin
newbymar
Ergcat
DrTom
relic (and Maggie)
JoDave

Two last things. Remember the Last Call tonight at 8 pm and check out @Cap'n Rick 's SSS - very well done and clever.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director